Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

Apologies: I’d seen the CRAs try to flog their wares, presumably on the back of this.

I have no issue with affordability checks and the like. I do have an issue with private companies declaring they have a legitimate interest in me and collecting all sorts of personal data.

As I said in the previous message, I don’t think that Monzo has done anything wrong here - in fact the measures to make sure this isn’t another Wonga are excellent - but more with the system that determines what form those measures take.

Having had a mini rant I shall now be shush as I’m in danger of taking us off topic.

7 Likes

I 100% agree with you here.

3 Likes

Question that I’m not sure has been covered (feel free to link me to the post if it has). I can’t find this in any of the help articles either.

Say my Monzo balance is £200 and I have no overdraft. I want to buy something worth £300 and Flex the transaction.

Do I need to have the full £300 available in my Monzo account to even complete the transaction in the first place and be able to Flex it?
I assume the virtual card will fix this problem eventually?

Do most income verification systems look at the net income, rather than specific inbound payments?

Eg, say I input my salary as £40k, and have two jobs, one paid at £25k and another at 15k.

Each month I’ll be paid two payments, one of roughly £1700, and one of roughly £1000 after all taxes etc (numbers purely hypothetical here). Should that kind of situation pass income verification checks?

Yes you do - and exactly, this is why we’ll be getting virtual card ready as soon as possible!

19 Likes

Okay good to know thanks!

About to try this out for the first time. Been after one of the new Samsung watches for a while now, but didn’t fancy paying for it all at once - so Flex makes it all possible to do.

2 Likes

Any more invites being sent out today or shall I accept defeat for now and try to find some patience? Pha

1 Like

Yes it should - and yes, most verification systems look at the net income rather than specific inbound payments.

This is just one of the complexities that make correctly and reliably calculating a customers income very hard.

2 Likes

No more planned for today - sorry.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great idea… I tend to use my credit card like that… 2-3 month split of a large payment.

Of course using Monzo’s wierd credit rules I’ll probably end up with a 50p limit…

2 Likes

:sob:

2 Likes

First transaction Flexed. Process was all pretty smooth :blush:. I can’t imagine this is something I’ll be using much - I’ve never been the sort of person to throw an ASOS transaction etc. on finance, but for the odd electrical treat yo’ self item, this is great.

I also quite like the fact that it’s only 3 months interest-free. The larger repayments mean that you really have to think ‘do I need this thing’ before you splash out.

Yes:

8 Likes

Ooh I like that!

Funny story - we saw you comment this yesterday and Sheets export didn’t work that well so one of our engineers fixed this yesterday :slight_smile:

51 Likes

Love you guys! Music to my nerdy ears!

12 Likes

Typical. I applied for a Tymit card a couple of weeks back for just this usage case. Ah well. I can close it again easily enough once my invite comes through.

3 Likes

Peg the patriarchy

2 Likes

My disappointment knocked over till next week!

2 Likes

Aside from @Rat_au_van being knocked back - boo, boo I say - this has been a gloriously busy and positive thread

A good week for :mondo: and all involved

Have a great weekend everyone

10 Likes

Looking forward to hopefully getting access next week, ended up just doing the purchase on Paypal BNPL scheme but next one is on Flex