Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

You can’t pay a HMRC tax bill with a personal credit card either.

1 Like

It’s a two way consent thing.

Some places do not accept credit cards (Personal HMRC, stock&shares investment firms).

And some places are restricted by the card provider (quasi cash things normally like investments / taxes / gambling / etc)

Or both.

2 Likes

You can definitely renew your vehicle tax with a credit card (excluding Amex).

It is fragment, some merchants block credit cards, and some some credit card providers block certain merchants.

1 Like

@TheoGibson sorry to tag you directly but I’ve got a very nuanced issue with flex

I booked a hotel, direct on flex, fine. But it charged me for one room and then subsequently requested more - no problem.

I recategorised the original transaction but the additional request for money and a few other weird hotel-esque behaviour things with the transaction are not categorised correctly.

So now I have half of it categorises to holiday, and half to eating out. :sob:

How fix? :eyes:🫶🏻

Unsure where to post this as it isn’t a bug with the app.

Tried to buy a TV from Samsung.com with my monzo flex virtual card details, it didn’t go through and the Samsung website gave me an error saying unable to take the payment. I regenerated a new virtual card and tried again but still didn’t go through. Nothing showed in the app.

Ended up paying with my normal monzo card and then flexing the payment from the feed.

Any info on whether or not being able to pay flex monthly payment via direct debit from another account is in the pipeline?

if not this is something i’d like to see and would make flex perfect imo

I expect it won’t be, Monzo clearly want their lending options to be an incentive to use the account as your main bank (ie no limit increases etc unless you get paid into Monzo)

1 Like

I’m not sure tbh :see_no_evil: I would’ve thought you could just go to the individual transactions and categorise them - i’m not that clued up on any nuances around categorisation I’m afraid.

1 Like

Are you a Plus member?

Or free?

If you head to Flex in Trends, Spending, and tap the category you want to view transactions for, IE Eating Out, and the amend it to Holidays or whatever.

2 Likes

@garethlowrie when did you attempt this payment?

We are aware of an issue impacting a small proportion of payments on Flex cards but this should be fully resolved now.

1 Like

Yes, I have tried that - but then clicking the flex transaction I get an error. :frowning:

In flex it just shows as one transaction though. :sob:

For Flex notifications, is it possible if it could be changed? It is quite a lot of information in the notification every time I spend. “You’ve flexed £xxx, you will now pay xxxx in date” Would be nicer if it could be simplified to “You’ve spent or You’ve flexed £xxx” only. Just to simplify the notification a bit

I quite like the notification, it’s informative and explains clearly if a payment is due this pay day due or next.

3 Likes

I mean yeah I guess, but an option would also be nice as the notification goes off my screen

2 Likes

Oh - interesting - i’ll see if the trends folks can help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Let me know if you want me to do anything :eyes:

Hello! Sure this is in hand but the current guidance around Flex is that you cannot get a physical card, which is no longer the case of course :smiling_face:

1 Like

yeah i guess that’s fair if it’s their thought process. I don’t get paid into monzo but since having it i’ve been offered two limit increases 500-1500 now 1500-2450 but i’ve had flex for nearly 1.5 years now

Think the reality of it is though if flex is moving towards more a credit card not everyone will use monzo as their main bank and wish to pay it via direct debit

Ah, I didn’t release why mine wasn’t neon! I actually quite prefer the neon-ness!