I'm 25 and I want to start saving for a house. Where do I start? šŸ”

Like I said, I feel like what Iā€™m paid is currently matching what my role is! Not that I wouldnā€™t mind a bump, but I work four days a week, and Iā€™m objectively the happiest Iā€™ve ever been in my career. Not that this stops me from thinking about the future, of course!

5 Likes

(Letā€™s stay on topic, shall we? After all, this thread is mean to help everyone who wants tips on how to save for a crib of their own :house_with_garden:)

7 Likes

This! I love my giffgaff account :hot_coral_heart: I feel like I have so much control over it. Only downside? Realised the other day my credit rating is poo because I always pay bills through other people. Have now just set up a direct debit for utility to make it better :+1: And looking to get a credit card so I can make my credit rating super-duper.

1 Like

With low/non existent credit I would recommend Capital Oneā€¦ I mean, if they accepted me theyā€™d accept anyone :joy::joy:

For a legacy bank theyā€™re not actually that bad, their recently redesigned web interface is actually modern and uses a standard email/password combination as credentials; the iOS app is decent as well.

They also give you access to ā€œCredit Wiseā€ which allows you to see your credit rating with the CRAs they deal with.

2 Likes

Haha! Iā€™m sure itā€™s because youā€™re an upstanding citizen and you always pay back your debts :joy:

1 Like

Of course I am* :innocent:

*terms & conditions apply.

5 Likes

Also worth looking at the Barclay card initial and a Tesco bank credit card. Donā€™t know rates off the top of my head but I have used them in the past when I was working on my credit rating.

1 Like

Given that itā€™s only to build credit, the rate doesnā€™t really matter. I am not sure how good Tescoā€™s or Barclayā€™s systems & customer service is so I would be cautious. I know Capital Oneā€™s web interface is actually a pleasure to use so Iā€™d recommend that.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure I had a capital one card a while ago to, but canā€™t remember what the web interface was like. Youā€™ve made me want to try it now, just canā€™t help myself! :joy:

1 Like

Itā€™s harder to go it alone - donā€™t sew up every last penny and become a hermit, find someone who also doesnā€™t mind saving a few pounds. Lots of house bills get massive cuts when itā€™s two of you working together.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t have said it better myself, I can say for sure if I had a second person to split bills with Iā€™d be living quite comfortably and Iā€™d be able to put some money away!

1 Like

Hereā€™s what it looks like. Notice the lack of BS like ā€œmemorable wordā€ or ā€œenter the 1st, 3rd and 5th characterā€ on the login screen, and an actually secure (randomly generated) password being used. It almost doesnā€™t feel like a bank. :joy: Behind the scenes itā€™s an React single-page app, powered by a JSON API (so you can actually reverse-engineer it with just your browserā€™s developer console and then build custom stuff on top). :heart_eyes:

Screenshots

2 Likes

I hear Aqua Card are good for building credit. Not sure what their support is like though.
Thereā€™s also a company which takes your rent and uses that to improve your credit rating as itā€™s essentially keeping up with payments: Credit Ladder

1 Like

Try setting up one of the government backed home buyers ISAā€™s. They will give you a certain amount, canā€™t remember how much but itā€™s actually decent (000ā€™s) and as an ISA, itā€™s tax free

You could also try the rent credit builder, if youā€™re paying rent, it allows that to be recognised in your credit score

2 Likes

Definitely do the Lifetime ISA. You can save Ā£4k/year and the government will add Ā£1k when you use it to buy your first home below Ā£450k in London. My fiancee and I are doing it and it will add thousands to our deposit for free.

There are hardly any Cash LISAā€™s but you can setup a Nutmeg LISA on the most cautious outlook which will do much the same thing.

1 Like

LISAs seem to be a good idea (and I have one) is the only thing Iā€™m relatively confident about.

Even in spite of that though, despite thinking that owning a house/apartment at some point would be worthwhile thing, I canā€™t see myself doing until Iā€™m around 30 (currently 24), and I donā€™t expect that Iā€™d want a house where I currently live or could even afford a reasonable one where I am even if I did (which is nowhere near London).

I think thatā€™s a bit of a sweeping statement. Rent goes up because the mortgage and cost of maintenance increases for them, i.e. building insurance or they get lumped with a bill to contribute to fixing a communal or common parts like painting the hall or fixing a leak in the roof. I just had no choice but to spend nearly Ā£2000 on refurbishments because of three years hard living by tenants, ranging from a burnt kitchen counter because somebody had thoughtlessly taken a hot pan off the stove and placed it on the side (Shrugs. Why do I care? Itā€™s not my house?), to threadbare carpet on the stairs and two inches of wax from candles needing to be sanded off the mantlepiece. Iā€™d rather have a long term tenant that treat the place like their own home. But most tenants seem to only want to stay one or two years maximum because they want to ā€˜shopā€™ around or they have a change in circumstances, e.g. move in with girl/boyfriend.

Could always do some non-conflicting social media consultancy on that fifth day and something at the weekend. After I graduated from University in Hertfordshire for at least two years I worked seven days a week. I used to work at a call centre as a part-time and summer job when studying and was lucky enough to be allowed to come and go as I pleased when I graduated, in order to go to job interviews, etc. Even after I got my first full-time job, I took a massive hit in salary and increased costs, e.g. peak-rate trains to London as I was living in St. Albans. So I still worked most weekends about seven or eight hours a day, for over 18 months, before things like work travel got in the way. It did help me save a chunk of money towards my deposit. As I spent three years flat hunting to buy something in London.

Sure, I know itā€™s a sweeping statement and I am sure as youā€™ve pointed out there are often genuine reasons for raising rent.

The landlords iā€™ve experienced (bear in mind I donā€™t rent but see what the landlords in my street are doing) are putting the price up just because they can. We are advertised as a London commuter town now and so just because of that they put the rent up Ā£400pm just because they know people in London can afford it and itā€™s cheaper than what commuters further down the trainline were paying and didnā€™t care local people wouldnā€™t be able to pay it.

Im sure most Landlords are good people but there does seem to be a hell of a lot of bad/dodgy ones

1 Like