If you haven't moved over, what's stopping you from making Monzo your main bank?

Lack of CHAPS transfers.

Preferred by many companies when transferring money > £10k, for example, when buying a house or car.

1 Like

We can accept CHAPS inbound :slight_smile:

Sadly we don’t have support for it outbound at the moment

2 Likes

That’s another thing I’d need a timeline on then.

I’m not aware of any specific plan to support CHAPS outbound yet, sorry :frowning:

Yes someone already said that. I do actually carry stamps but not envelopes, and I’m away at the moment

So how would you buy a house?

That’s a huge question, which for me is answered well before I get anywhere near CHAPS. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Use another bank I guess?

Yeah, sadly the banks seem to be abandoning an interest-rate based model in pursuit of “simple!” (which is a way for them to hugely bump the cost of small overdrafts to the consumer at the same time). Barclays have done the same to their customers, afaik.

1 Like

Again though, that makes my other bank the financial control centre

1 Like

Monzo used to think this was bad as well - in their first blog post on overdrafts (https://monzo.com/blog/2016/09/07/our-approach-to-overdrafts/) they stated:

over the last few years many banks seem to have concluded that their customers don’t understand percentages, and so instead they charge 50p or £1 per day for going overdrawn. You do the maths! I reckon that’s more like 200-400% in terms of interest. And I thought payday lending was supposed to be expensive…

Then, less than a year later, they appeared to change their minds when they introduced their own overdrafts (Overdrafts | Apply for an Arranged Overdraft with Monzo)

For the preview, the overdraft will cost 50p for each day your account is overdrawn.

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, the fee was modelled on a percentage interest rate (which was in the 1st generation Ts and Cs for the Current Account, before Overdrafts rolled out) but it was calculated this would be around 50p in most use cases anticipated so it was decided to simplify it and just have it as a flat fee.

3 Likes

I used a standard Faster Payment (from Santander), which has the advantage of being free. And that was in Kent, so it was very substantially above 10k. (FYI: The actual Faster Payment limit is 100k, but as far as I know Santander is the only “mainstream” bank that doesn’t put the limit much lower).

@HughWells Would you happen to know what Monzo’s outgoing Faster Payments limit is?

£10k/day :slight_smile: You can see this in your in-app limits view.

Btw, the FPS scheme limit is £250k/transaction :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you able to increase that temporarily, e.g. if someone wanted to buy a house in London and doesn’t want to take the better part of a week and several transfers to transfer their deposit?

2 Likes

We are able to look at these on a case by case basis :slight_smile: If anyone does need this, they should get in touch in app and we can get the ball rolling :+1:

5 Likes

Interesting. FPS limits are per transaction though, not per day (banks can make per day limits, if they wish). But it is indeed £250k per transaction. I could’ve bet it was 100k. Maybe it changed recently.

Also worth noting: Santander (despite allowing up to 100k using Faster Payments, which should be enough for most cars and house deposits) does not have the highest limit: citi and metrobank appparently allow up to the full 250k (in theory): Faster Payment System - Pay.UK, so if you want to buy a McLaren 650S or so, you might want to open an account with either of them first, so as to save the £25 CHAPS fee :smiley:

2 Likes

True! It’s been a long day :see_no_evil:

Hmm, isn’t that like 18% AER on £1000 of overdraft used? Surely that’s not the scenario Monzo would like to encourage in the average case?

1 Like

For me it has to be Apple Pay.

1 Like