HSBC chat

I’ve heard good things generally, but it has to be said I’ve heard of lots of people with relatively ordinary credit history’s be rejected for a current account, so I’ve always steered clear.

1 Like

I switched from First Direct to Monzo a few years back.

FD were pretty good in so far as the app and web banking systems let me do pretty much everything I ever needed, they always answered the phone very quickly, and I could use HSBC branches, which had machines for paying in loose change.

Monzo’s app was a bit slicker, better notifications, better management of direct debits, better visibility of upcoming payments, so I switched.

4 Likes

HSBC do the “upcoming payments in the future” thing now too, and I think First Direct do as well (although not using predictive “Balance after bills” like HSBC - which is equivalent to Monzo’s “Left to spend” bar). I think they only show Direct Debits as upcoming slightly early in the transaction list.

3 Likes

HSBC to be told it must break up bank in meeting with Hong Kong investors (telegraph.co.uk)

2 Likes

Hi folks. Maybe it’s a bit of a stretch, but does anyone have a HSBC Expat account?

:raised_hands: yes

2 Likes

HSBC app is working again on iOS 16 beta! Just got an update on the AppStore!

6 Likes
4 Likes

They have it in HK long time ago already, finally comes to uk

1 Like
1 Like

3% interest rate on up to £10k if you make no withdrawals in a month

4 Likes

Yup, opened one today. Dead easy.

Somewhere to put a sum waiting for a fix

5 Likes

They just sent me a welcome email, with the old rates on :man_facepalming::joy:

2 Likes

Tried to open one, they pointed out I already had one of these savings accounts. brain fail. :woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Can’t even open one with a basic account

1 Like

I used to have an HSBC account, closed several years ago.
Now I want to open one again to get the savings and Global Money accounts.

But I came across the first ever (probably) robot that has working hours…

I have a username for their online banking so I thought I’d regain access (no idea what the password was and I don’t have the app on my phone). I went online, it said it needs a security key to log in, and no option to reset password other than through the app. So I downloaded the app, tried to reset password from there.

The app gave me a code and says call our automated line on an 0345 number to complete your password reset. I call the automated line ln the evening to be told our opening hours are 8am to 8pm :thinking:

Robots seem to be getting employment rights now :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Reading comprehension question with the eligibility criteria for HSBC’s rewards credit card:

You can apply if you:

hold an HSBC Advance Account or hold an HSBC Bank Account or HSBC Premier Account, and have paid a total of £1750 a month into your account over the last 6 months

I read this as (hold an HSBC Advance Account) OR (hold an HSBC Bank Account or HSBC Premier Account, and have paid a total of £1750 a month into your account over the last 6 months). Is that correct? :thinking: I.e. the £1750 doesn’t apply if you have an Advance account.

I feel they could probably have worded it a bit better but the fact they didn’t just say “hold an HSBC Advance Account, HSBC Bank Account or HSBC Premier Account, and have paid a total of £1750” makes me think they’re separate criteria and the Advance account negates the £1750 requirement.

3 Likes

I’d imagine that this is the case, yes. Originally, the Advance account required you to pay in £1750 every month (or £10,500 per 6-month period) just to qualify for it and keep it. So, for the rewards card, just having an Advance account would be enough.

The £1750 (or £10,500) was dropped last year but I don’t think this would change the requirements for the rewards card.

(Also, people have reported that HSBC didn’t appear to enforce the £1750 per month for Advance, anyway.)

4 Likes

Interesting and good to know, thanks.

2 Likes

You’re right, the eligibility requirements for a Reward credit card are:

a) an Advance account

~ or ~

b) a Bank account or a Premier account, into which you fund £1750 a month

3 Likes