Fixing financial planning and analysis

So I’ve had a go:

Flash poll! Without reading further, does this make sense?

• Yes, I know what is going on here
  • I think so
  • No, I’m confused
0 voters

Having had a brief look at @davidwalton’s excellent post, I think this’ll need a tweak, but here’s my thinking:

• From this post, I’ve borrowed sub-headings for the feed. “Timeline” gives us the feed we know and love (with an addition, explained below);’ “Future” brings up a feed of future transactions, the ability to select a time-frame, manually add transactions etc; “Breakdown” is my word to show spend by merchant or category - again, this would need a time period associated with it. I’d like to see calendar periods, rolling backwards periods, pay periods, or a user specified range.

• On the timeline, I’ve changed the future transactions that we currently see in the app (those generated by the BACS process) to be hideable.

• I’ve also added an extra section to show or hide future transactions for this period. The mock says “pay period”, but I’d expect this to change depending on what the user sets in the option in this post - so it could be calendar month, weekly, pay-cycle or whatever the appropriate budgeting period is.

• The extra search button is on the feed for an advanced (I’m dreaming now) search and filter function for that account only. The top right search is still there because you need a way to search across all connected accounts (eventually).

4 Likes