Emma Feedback Thread / Q&A

I pay a weekly card payment. It’s the same every week – £49. One week I changed my card and had a £1 card check, which was immediately refunded.

Emma proudly told me I’d spent £48 less on that particular bill that week, complete with party popper emojis. It’s rigid algorithms such as this that make me sceptical these kind of aggregators will ever really be of any real use.

3 Likes

Sounds like they just need to learn to spot active card checks :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Will we be able to see a calculation of savings in the overview tab at some point?

Under accounts, I think it would be nice to have a total of savings too as I have like 10 pots!

1 Like

I realise now why Amex doesn’t work well for me on Emma.
If you have given any additional cards out to your family it doesn’t differentiate between who’s spent what. So it looks like I’ve personally spent a lot more than I have.

Haha, yeah, but I pay the bill so ultimately I need to know what they’ve spent too!

1 Like

I just ask them to cough up the money :joy: (which they always do) so from that point I’m not concerned how much / what it’s spent on as it’s generally never totals more than about £400 a month. They mostly only have one for purchases they may not want to put on debit + They like to help me get all the points :star_struck:

1 Like

Do they pay you back in a lump sum?

People usually pay me back for things as and when it happens so I can assign their payment to a category which then deducts that amount from my total.

I wish they’d cough up!

But generally I give them out for the rather excellent travel insurance…

1 Like

Yes, When the statement comes through I just look at the bottom to see what they’ve spent and they transfer me that total.

1 Like

I’ve been using Emma now for a few weeks. Really awesome and I love the whole user experience. :heart: Though, I fail to understand how this stays alive in the future. As soon as Monzo bring out their new target feature and the CASS, Monzo will be my financial control centre. :sunny:

I see Emma being incredibly useful for customers with legacy banks like Barclays but I don’t really see the need when it comes to banks like Monzo. :confused:

This isn’t by any means a slate on the work the Emma team has done and instead is rather a question? What’s next for Emma? :smiley:

3 Likes

I only really see it being useful for people with multiple accounts including credit cards which a lot of Monzo users will still use for cashback/protection.

1 Like

We thought about that and even tried it, but was taking too much space. At the moment, if you don’t have a credit card, the overview is available vs saved.

1 Like

Realistically, I’m not going to stop using reward credit cards while they are available, so Emma and Yolt serve a useful aggregation role for me.

I use both at the moment to see how they are progressing and also neither of them completely cover my account portfolio.

I’m hoping that Emma as the fast moving startup, will show the way!

I really want to see investment portfolios in there too - like mint does in the US.

2 Likes

I couldn’t see a thread for this and didn’t want to mix up with the one giving out VIP tickets.

Please share your reviews and other thoughts about EMMA and your experiences here.

Although I like the aggregation of my accounts it took me ages to go through and re-categorise all my old transactions that it had got terribly wrong. I thought once I had done this, the next transaction from that place would be correctly categorised. Sadly not.

What’s the point of a “smart” app that can’t get things in the right category, even after I’ve told it the right one for the last 3 months?

I will carrying on for now in the hope that it is just early teething problems but if I have to keep changing a payment called “rent” from the shopping or general category, I might just lose patience.

Bring back MS Money!

1 Like

I haven’t used in a while, just because trying out various others/waiting for expanded features. But I really like the simple screen and ease with which I can budget against categories. That’s a real shame there isn’t learning behind the recategorisation. These aggregation services lose a lot of value from incorrect categorisation. Anyone know if the categorisation engine is their own? Or are they using a 3rd party?

It always seems to vary between services. If it is a 3rd party I wonder what level the learning takes place, for example is it local to say Emma specifically, or national or global level learning?

Hey Dan, as Sufi mentioned, this topic (which I’ve moved your post to) actually serves as a feedback thread for Emma. Keeping all of the discussion in one place makes it easier for users & the Emma team to follow so I’ve merged the threads, while also avoiding people repeating the same points in different places. I hope that’s ok! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s in beta. It’s not perfect.

The features you have spoken about are on the way.

I’ve been using it occasionally. It’s nice to have bank and credit card balances aggregated, and hopefully with savings accounts to follow in time.

My personal concern is that the whole UI looks a bit childish for something intended as a key financial tool. I’m not expecting a grey dull legacy bank style interface but something that looks a bit more professional, similar to that which Monzo and Starling present.

3 Likes

Hi @Dlucas85, we are adding multiple edits this weekend and already have the logic that knows where future transactions should go (we save this after 3 edits to make a sensible choice).

ps: we just got approved by Starling Bank.

5 Likes