Email Receipts in Monzo

So I’ve finished off those last 4 items, I’m about to go to sleep… but I have just sent a tonne of DMs both on the forum and Slack to those who have enquired.

I realise I’ve very likely missed a handful of people, if I have missed you then it wasn’t intentional! (I promise, and I apologise profusely) Please send me a DM now on here and I’ll give you the details ASAP.

To the few who are waiting for a specific merchant, or until it’s less beta-ey - stay tuned! I’m hoping after another couple batches of testers we will be in a much better place.

(I love being ahead of scheduled :joy:)

5 Likes

Just signed up and did some shopping :grin:

Easy to use and looks great

1 Like

If I have autoforward on for Amazon for example how does the system respond when it gets order despatched/out for delivery?

Also maybe on the long term roadmap look at enriching the data with delivery estimates and delivered statuses.

If the system can’t handle an email, it’ll get ignored and (if you have it enabled) you’ll get a feed item informing you so. I’ll DM you a link which will help you get more accurate filters to stop this from being an issue (and you getting unnecessary feed items) - but from our side it’s fine :smile:

This is something I’ve been discussing with sort of our early testers, it’s something I’d love to do! But as you say - a bit further down on the roadmap!

1 Like

Okay well this is actually amazing!! Placing an order on Amazon then a few seconds later a digital receipt shows up within my Monzo account under the Amazon purchase. Digital Receipt’s within Monzo are for sure the future. Definitely going to help me keep track on what I actually spend my money on. Can’t wait for this project to progress and come to life with more Merchants.

3 Likes

I’m a PHP developer by trade and I’ve worked with running PHP projects on Lambda so if you need any input, feel free to send me a PM any time. Happy to provide (free) advice/input/guidance. Although there’s a learning curve to get set up with Lambda, projects like bref make it very easy and your usecase is ideal for it: it would cut your costs to – essentially – nothing and make scaling easy. That said, if cost and maintenance overhead isn’t a concern right now, it’s probably not worth the effort, but once infrastructure costs + maintenance overheads grow, then serverless would be worth investigation.

5 Likes

Really appreciate the offer and link there, I will be for sure considering options as we move forward.

The system has been designed in a fairly flexible way so I am hoping it wouldn’t be too difficult at all to start breaking things away into server-less components or other cheaper systems! Thanks again

Got added to the project this morning, and have had some great fun adding digital receipts to my account. The website is great, easy to use and understand. The hardest part was setting up the automatic email forwarding for future orders. Below are a few screenshots from some orders. Great work @Sherlock, I’m excited to see where this will go in the future.

4 Likes

Wow this is huge, I’m glad it’s worked out for you @HoddzDJ!

This is very much understood, and is one of the key things I know I need to work on moving forward!

Thank you so much :smile:

2 Likes

As per the original plan, onboarding started earlier this morning and we now have 10 more users than we started the day with. That brings the total up to 25 users!

The most recent stats:

5 Likes

Your Gmail filter list , for PayPal it has “your payment to” this then excludes most PayPal purchases as they start with " Receipt for your paypal payment"

Great spot on that! :raised_hands: From when I searched my inbox I never received an email which wasn’t “your payment to” but of course that’s why we test :smile:

You can of course update the filter yourself in the meanwhile, I will also look to update the default one.

I’ve just removed the text filter atm so it’s forwarding all PayPal emails, because I’m unsure how to make sure it does both “your payment to” and “receipt for your paypal payment”

Been trying to do an Amazon email but all mine are orders that have been split into multiple orders so I’m assuming that’s why it’s failing :sweat_smile:

Is it worth us forwarding emails from unsupported merchants, or is that not helpful?

At this time, they will simply be ignored. I will be setting up a better system for requesting merchants soon. I’ll inform people of that when it’s ready though!

Aye this is a known issue which is quite a challenge to fix. I will be looking into it though!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for adding me!

Have tried to send a few payments along. Dominos works great! The only other provider (at present) I use from the merchants list is PayPal - and I’m having trouble getting it to recognise payments there.

Likely because it’s a Direct Debit(?), but the wording of the email is “You have authorised a payment to…”.

And similarly, sending money via PayPal doesn’t get picked up - would be nice if it could!

Only other thought would be, if it’s possible could a VAT Number, if present in the email receipt, be added into the Monzo import?

Have a few things to buy on Amazon in the next few days, so will keep testing.

If you need any examples of Airline receipts (have recent ones from Ryanair, Easyjet) or any Trainline ones, happy to share!

No problem, thanks for joining :smile:

Sending money with PayPal from what I could see in the email didn’t actually have any information in it. Just “You paid this person this much money” which doesn’t really add value - are you seeing something different?

PayPal Direct Debits are on my TODO list (as someone else mentioned it a bit earlier in testing - format is quite different!)

I have been patching PayPal like a madman today, lots of different formats of the same merchant. (I never thought PayPal would be worse than Amazon but here we are)

I’ll also fire you a DM about the VAT number and see if I can’t get a sample that includes that in order to support it :smile:

1 Like

The value for me would be having an easy reference within Monzo where that money went. From my list of PayPal transactions I’ve end up with a relatively lengthy list (eBay, Netlix, Spotify) - Personally it would just make seeing that transaction as a record of who I sent money to, would be handy.

That said though it’s a rare occurrence for me, literally just sent a payment 2 days ago for the first time in Months so appreciate it must be an edge case!

1 Like

Well last update for today - I need to go eat, and do normal human things :joy: But we doubled our users today up to 30. We passed £2000 worth of transactions too!

12 Likes

Out of interest - would it be possible with this integration to export the newly generated receipt to Expensify / Concur, if it was tagged as “Expenses”?

(Blue sky request and all that :slight_smile: - but honestly an integration of that nature would be such a workflow saver…)

Anyway this integration is genuinely amazing, I wish that there were more useful integrations for Monzo, maybe an “integrations store”? All these custom options can be so powerful and honestly the kind of things that challenge Fintechs really show their power.

Good luck with all the development!

4 Likes