EE vs Vodafone (or others)

Speed on Three is meh, at least in London. It’s usable but garbage considering what the underlying technology can achieve.

3 Likes

As a three user I agree, so much so I use 3g on my mobile and not 4g. It saves battery and it’s not that much faster to be honest.

2 Likes

Yep the LTE/4G is so saturated it’s not really faster compared to 3G. However, LTE is actually more battery efficient and more secure, so I would recommend still using it.

1 Like

Hmmm not unless the underlying technology has improved as I remember (a few years back) that 4g was a battery killer.

Maybe it was a real battery killer, in which case I do expect it to have became better, or maybe it was just FUD as media often likes it to generate clicks & views without having done actual tests? From my personal experience I don’t feel like LTE is a battery killer - it can be quite the opposite actually, as for a given amount of data the phone will have to spend less time transferring it over the network over LTE compared to 3G or earlier technologies.

In any case the security benefit as well as VoLTE (though Three screwed it up last time I remember) are very well worth it even if it was indeed more battery taxing.

1 Like

That’s a great point but I hear the phone has to push a lot harder to connect to connect or keep a 4g connection. So it’s swings and roundabouts. I hear you with the security aspect.

1 Like

the phone has to push a lot harder to connect to connect or keep a 4g connection

Maybe in low-signal areas, but I think the phone will be smart enough to not trade a 5-bar 3G connection over 1 bar of LTE.

In the end I think it’s best to just test for yourself and see, but IMO the difference (if any) will be too small to notice.

1 Like

No not just in low signal arenas as if that was the case all mobiles do the same thing, output loads of power to try to keep connected.

1 Like

In other news on the same theme, three has decided not to increase their share of 5g that much. So it’s gonna be the slowest/most congested network. AGAIN! Thanks three!

1 Like

Not saying I support Three, but 5G (or whatever they want to call it) doesn’t mean anything by itself. Not spending billions on 5G could be a smart move if it means investing more into the LTE network to actually make it decent (you can achieve 100Mbps easily on LTE with proper network management and strategically placed nano cells).

Of course they’re not gonna do that either so screw them, but technically, not jumping on the 5G hype is a valid decision if that money will be better spent on the existing network (as opposed to marketing & scamming).

1 Like

Three have always been excellent over live chat! The service is top notch and far better than O2/ Virgin etc. that have you constantly going around in circles. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that they give out free credit whenever they mess up :innocent:

Yeah but you know they are not going to do any of the good things you just quoted.

More then likely shove more users on to the network reducing speeds even further. Meh whatever, I did not join the network because it’s the best I joined because it was cheap. Seems you really do get what you paid for. (In the vast majority of cases anyway.)

In saying that they are not even THAT cheap anymore as they want to raise their customers annual spend. Hence bye bye One Plan.

1 Like

Hello,

I am using Google Fi from America. I am paying 80 dollar for it but I get unlimited SMS and data in 200 countrys around the world.

Have used all networks regularly and the only one I’d completely avoid is Vodafone.

Unless you live in certain places in the south west, then it’s your only option if you want signal :frowning_face:

Have been with Vodafone for years, however going forward and when my contract ends, I will go Sky Mobile SIM only (Rollover data) and buy phones as and when there is a big enough jump in technology. Obviously, things may change in 12 months time with regards to the SIM only deals that are available, so my choice may change.

I’ve been with Vodafone for years.

But have made the move to Zevvle Worth checking them out guys.

They use the EE Network. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should have said voluntarily.

All well and good but if you port your main number what do you do when you go on holiday outside the EEA?

Wifi only if I’m honest. On Holiday I normally try to not get on the phone at all, but it’s there if I ever need it in case of an emergency regardless of cost.

The overall savings for me, would outweigh the potential cost outside the EEA.

It won’t fit everyone needs/wants.