Discuss all about Going Cashless

I did consider it , but the ‘not all men’ argument implies that while everyone who is being criticised is male, not all men are guilty.

The comment I was referring to implied that only people of a certain age are guilty. The problem alluded to was wealth hoarding, and while it is true that older people generally hold more wealth than younger people, being wealthy isn’t restricted to older people.

I probably should have made that clear, so thanks for bringing it up.

1 Like

I would never blame the older generation for being more wealthy, It like me blaming your parents for having more money then you lol I mean they had several years ahead of you working and have sacrificed a lot to achieve all that, today is the easiest times to be wealthy

I never carry cash, unless it is given for a birthday because I just cannot be bothererd to go to the branch and deposit it it seems such a long process to do.

But I honestly don’t mind if we go cashless or if we don’t, sometimes a lot of small businesses benefit a lot from the cash simply because they get charged mega fees for those cheapo POS machines (card payment terminals), I used to spend a lot of my time helping them change to different tariffs as they charges they were on were like daylight robbery.

1 Like

Now you are taking the logic in a different direction though.

My point was: if you have the ability to adapt, you do adapt when there is no choice but to do so. Most people who can drive, because driving is complex as I said, should be adaptable enough to change how they pay. To go back to your example, you may have no real interest in using TickTok, but you probably could (and would) figure it out if your life depended on it.

1 Like

There’s absolutely zero logic in saying that someone who can drive should be able to work a smart phone.

What about people with poor levels of English? Should they be allowed to drive? If you can’t concentrate long enough to learn the difference between you’re and your, then you can’t have a license?

5 Likes

I was saying should be able to use card payment (not necessarily a smartphone).

The logic is about problem-solving and processing information. Driving requires a lot of that, paying by card requires potentially remembering the PIN and following logical instructions. The two things can be compared because the mental processes involved are related.

1 Like

There are people who prefer to bank in cash, or who don’t have a usable bank account (for example deep in the overdraft) who need cash to remain. It has no bearing on their ability to drive.

Accessibility must include options for as many as possible, not just the cheapest thing for the management company.

(Personally I haven’t used cash in about three years but I know people who heavily use it).

1 Like

Clearly, although the argument in the article went further beyond a simple preference, to state that some people physically wouldn’t be able to pay without cash - i.e. necessity.

“Preference” doesn’t come under that, as preference for the vast majority of people doesn’t mean it’s their only option. Yes, it will be the only option for a minority - but conflating preference and necessity isn’t helpful and Which? and Age U.K. do that all the time in the cashless debate.

2 Likes

There are people who only use cash and not because of a simple preference. For example mental health issues like anxiety or a neurodivergence such as discalculia can create a need to use cash. This does not relate to someone’s ability to drive. They are not comparable.

Edit for clarity.

I know.

Let’s just review: there is a very small genuine section of society that, for a variety of complex reasons, currently really does “rely” on cash. This is the “necessity” segment that I don’t take issue with, and encompasses a variety of ages.

There is then a much larger set of people, mostly older, who “prefer” cash but also can and do use other payment methods from time to time. Organisations like Age UK often start criticising cashless moves on the grounds of it affecting this group, when there is little reason to do so. The specific article which prompted this little discussion went even further and argued, dubiously, that cashless parking was ageist against the elderly. This just isn’t a logical conclusion and makes no sense at all. That was why I compared using card to driving, because it was directly related to the article. I would imagine the overlap between elderly people who can drive and are vulnerable enough to genuinely be unable to use card is low. Ironically, the more cash-reliant and vulnerable elderly population are likely to not be able to drive.

4 Likes

Could some elderly people be dealing with anxiety around online banking/app parking/contactless payment rather than a competency issue? In which case it falls more in to the “need” rather than “preference” area. It can be a real mental block whereas driving itself might not be.

1 Like

my elderly mother drives her car she uses her card in the shops , does on line banking , whats app kindle ect but ask her to use mobile bankiing and you would think you were talking witchcraft , and of course her ‘wealth’ is stuffed under the matress

@SebH has explained my view better than I ever did.

There is a big difference between “prefers cash” and “cannot use smart payments.”

The pay and display meters, I presume, cost thousands to install and maintain (I bet the kit itself is pricey, the servicing, paying someone to empty it, power and data, etc, etc).

I fully accept that many people prefer cash. I also accept that organisations changing the payment methods they accept should communicate these changes to customers in advance and allow them time to adapt.

But I’m still not convinced that we have competent drivers who cannot adapt to new payment methods. This matters - for the purposes of this debate, anyway - because it’s this that determines whether I think this is a matter of discrimination (and costs of parking meters should be shared by everyone) vs a minority who choose to resist change and should really shoulder the cost of their expensive preferences themselves.

5 Likes

sorry so because some one cant use their phone to pay for some thing and they are of a certain age they shouldnt be driving ? i really hope i have the wrong end of your train of thinking

1 Like

It’s not because they can’t use their phone - loads of people fall into this bracket.

You’re telling me that they’re incapable of learning how to do it, or know how to pay by phone but are physically incapable of doing it. You’re telling me that, despite driving safely and being able to navigate through roadworks and temporary diversions, they literally cannot under any circumstances - not now, and not ever - make a payment by phone. That’s what I find hard to believe.

3 Likes

What you find hard to believe is the case for millions of people.

5 Likes

i must tell my 82 year old mother then to stop driving because in your world as she wont use mobile banking that shes incapable of driviing … i will be sure to pass that on

3 Likes

I fear the Venn diagram of those genuinely incapable of ever making a phone payment and those who drive through no entry signs / press the accelerator when they mean to brake / miss red traffic lights and junctions has quite a large overlap.

4 Likes

This is literally the opposite of the point I’m making.

Many people choose not to use mobile banking but I’m not sure we should be subsidising the costs of pay and display machines in every car park for them.

3 Likes

thankfully we live in a more understanding world rather than your small minded one then :slight_smile:

1 Like