Curve chat

Are people earning 1% cash back on bank transfers using Amex with curve?

I ask because the fee to top up Amex wallet is 0.65%.

1 Like

Curve really is a perfect example of how not to keep your customers happy.

They recently released a promotion code for new customers to get Curve Black for free, and have now grandfathered these customers onto a lifetime plan with added benefits over long standing customers from the Beta days. I think they prefer to forget about us unless we’re paying a monthly subscription.

(they’ve also closed the thread where people were discussing this)

3 Likes

I’m still trying to properly understand Curve, as I can’t quite make up my mind about it. So, if it’s ok with you, I just thought I’d have a bit of a brain dump here so that you can tell me whether I’m on the right path or not.

I get that the idea is that I carry one card than many. However I’m using Apple Pay which pretty much covers that for me, so the main advantage off Curve would seem to be that I could use my AMEX in places that don’t currently accept it.

So I downloaded the app to have a play around and have added a card.

Two things:

Firstly, I’m now being asked to add funds to my card. So is Curve a pre-pay card then? I was under the impression it was a direct replacement for my cards, but do I need to transfer funds before I can use it?

Secondly, I’ve had an email saying I’m now covered by AXA Insurance, which seems a bit weird. So having checked out the site, I see that I’ve automatically been put on the Black card, which comes with a monthly fee. I don’t think I had any say on that, and now I can’t seem to cancel it. So how am I charged, or how do I switch to the Blue Card?

Equally, Curve are trying to position themselves as a Business solution. Has anyone used that for tracking expenses?

I run my own business and potentially like the idea of being able to track all expenses. But again, some questions:

• Would the cards have to be topped up as a pre-paid card?

• Equally, would I be able to share that account with my co-founder? So he’d be able to track expenses being generated too?

• We’re using Quickbooks for expenses, which Curve isn’t currently integrated with. So can I get a raw download of transactions (plus receipts) to be able to upload elsewhere?

Thanks for the patience!

3 Likes

About the prepay it’s only for amex that you need to load curve with, but for visa/MasterCard you don’t and it will charge your card as you go along,

About cancelling I guess contact support

The other questions I’m not sure about,

Also about the insurance I couldn’t find the terms anywhere, would you be able to send some t&c saying what’s covered excesses etc? Thanks

1 Like

About the prepay it’s only for amex that you need to load curve with

And, looking through the rest of the thread, I get charged 0.65% of what I prepay, correct?

1 Like

I believe if you’re on black then the 1st 1k per month is fee free for amex and after is the 0.65%

But for the free tier it’s always 0.65%

Here is the link.
https://www.curve.app/en-gb/terms-insurance-docs

Does annoying know why it is automatically topped up to £100? Seems a really stupid way of doing it. Paid for a food bill yesterday which was 88 quid and only had 40 in the Amex wallet so it ended up topping up £100 instead of £48… surely it would make more sense to keep topping up the exact amount needed for the transaction rather than £100 every time?

Does anyone know the reason for this or if there are any plans to implement this in the future?

Maybe there is a fixed fee component for each transaction, so they want to reduce the amount of transactions to keep costs lower (i.e. Stripe charges 1.4% + 20p per transaction, for Visa and MasterCard at least, Amex is more expensive).

Yeah, that’s the only thing that I could think of, if it was a percentage of the amount then obviously it wouldn’t matter but the added 20p or whatever must be why.

Very annoying, not very much of an integration.

With curve you also get the “go back in time” features, free interbank fx when your underlying card would normally charge for fx and you also get to avoid some of the fees credit cards traditionally charge. With most fintechs you also avoid the ATM withdrawal limits. For example revolut withdrawals through curve don’t get counted by revolut towards their limits

That’s not true as EVERYONE who had a black card before 27/1/2019 will be grandfathered to the old Curve black if you refuse to migrate to new Curve black which is charged at £9.99 a month (after the free 3 month trial of new Curve black) with the additional Amex integration charged at 65 pence for every £100.00 pound topped up.

2 Likes

Curve tiers and rewards = cluster ****

It’s basically lucky dip what tier you’re on and what you end up with. It’s a mess of a communications team.

2 Likes

Thanks,

Can you find the ones for gadget insurance because I don’t see them anywhere also

They are in the travel terms weirdly.

Just requested my accunt to be closed down, I do not personally see any point in it with #fullmonzo and having Apple Pay granted I do not have additional cards only my single & joint Monzo accounts :joy:

1 Like

I was looking at that , but looks like to me that’s talking about gadgets lost whilst traveling,

Because inside the app under black says covered for liquid damage etc but in terms of that pdf linked says black only had loss and theft but metal also had damage cover.

2 Likes

No not at all it’s relatively simple.

Relative to what? Quantum physics?

1 Like