Curve chat

Shows for me at the same time as the transaction notification

I don’t think I am getting it then as I have never seen it.

Still waiting for a response from them as to why :rage:

1 Like

How not to say anything

Looks like Curve is deliberately offloading users then. The logic here is paper thin, IMO.

It’s really not acceptable to tell your customers to check their terms with every credit card they’ve attached. How is that simplifying your financial life?

ATM withdrawals must have been costing a fortune, so a more likely reason for the change.

1 Like

Huh so are Curve customer service supposed to know every part of the T&C for every card in the UK, just to help people that can’t be bothered to read them themselves?

I think it’s perfectly acceptable as personal responsibility goes a long long long way.

2 Likes

I agree. You should know the major parts of the terms and conditions of your debit or credit cards such as penalties and fees. It isn’t for Curve to educate people on their own financial literacy.

Curves point is that you need to abide by your cards terms and conditions instead of trying to avoid them by using Curve. Curve did allow this in the past but Amex took them to account over it months ago and I’m sure the others credit card companies have now done the same when they worked it out.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right, but Curve is supposed to make life easier. Curve customers will now need to understand the T&Cs for both Curve and the underlying card for any unusual transaction, and many customers won’t see the benefit of Curve for the overhead of another set of rules.

Which is a longwinded way of saying that right now I still don’t understand Curve’s long term business strategy, but I’m watching with interest.

3 Likes

The earlier attempt by Tesco to charge cash handling fees for all Curve transactions is an indication of how wide some terms are worded.
Simply reading the terms may not tell you whether you’ll be charged cash for a given transaction or not, as the transaction you’re doing with curve may not even be possible with the credit card anyway.

You may need to know what MCC Curve is forwarding, but you can’t see that without asking, then you’re supposed to know how your credit card handles the specific MCC…

That’s a heavy burden on users.

2 Likes

e.g. I’m still arguing with one credit card company insisting on charging me a “Non-Sterling” fee for a transaction in Sterling, in Gibraltar, which is a UK territory where Sterling is the currency.

I carefully checked the T&Cs in advance which state that a fee is charged for “non-Sterling” transactions. Adding Curve to that mix would add significant additional complexity to any resolution…

5 Likes

Are they trying to argue the currency in Gibraltar is officially GIP instead of GBP?

A bit far fetched, but a typical move from a bank if that’s the case…

The card networks don’t even support GIP as a valid currency (all Gib cards are marked as GBP), not sure how they are arguing it’s a non-sterling transaction.

1 Like

Just to close of the Gibraltar question, in the end they did back down and refund the charge “on a goodwill basis”

But the key point is that T&Cs do not necessarily include every minor point that you may have in dealing with a financial institution, so while I accept that a Curve customer should know the underlying terms of their issuing institution, adding Curve to the mix with another set of T&Cs adds complexity, which is what Curve is marketed as reducing.

3 Likes

This is important, I think. Before Curve changed their policy on passing through merchant category codes (MCC), I was pretty sure I understood how everything worked. Purchases on Curve would be treated like online payments on my underlying credit card, and no fees for cash withdrawals (as long as you didn’t go mad).

Now, with the change to MCCs and the no international fee thing, I’m left confused about how things work - particularly when my credit card T&Cs kick in overseas and when they are intercepted (for want of a better word) by Curve. There’s a whole level of complexity here that is making Curve less appealing for me to the point where I’m considering swapping it out of my wallet for a credit card.

3 Likes

Are we still thinking AMEX is back on the cards?

2 Likes

One of the stated “benefits” of Curve passing on the MCC was that you should be able to earn points etc. on the underlying card, when spending at qualifying retailers.

That sounded to me 100% like a way to get Amex back on board.

1 Like

I know they’ve been wanting to launch in NA and having the MCC passthrough is really important in the US and Canada as almost every reward card is category based.

2 Likes

I suppose we’ll find out today…

1 Like
1 Like

YAY, I might actually use Curve now!

1 Like

If curve can pass on enough info to Amex that I get the correct rewards then this is a huge step forward.

Just need curve added to apple pay and l’ll have everything going through it.

WOW! I’d given up hope. I’ll have to dig out that Curve card again.