Competitor update

@Avishai Yes, the fact that the old app still works and that on both on iOS and Android the new Metro app was uploaded via a different developer account was a really poor choice in my opinion. A message in the old app would have been a great idea too to suggest users upgrade.

As for Barclays having a block card option in app, I don’t believe you can.

1 Like

Starling are hosting a hackathon and have given out some more details on their API

https://www.starlingbank.com/hackathon/

1 Like

While Monzo are aiming for personal customers and not business accounts there are new entrants targeting the business market.

Tide, which we have mentioned before, aims at self-employed and small to medium sized ltd cos.

Coconut aims for the freelancer and contractor market.

Coconut was known since inception as Monizo, but when Mondo rebranded as Monzo they felt that caused confusion, and it forced them to rebrand as Coconut

Got a text the other day saying there was a new update to MetroBank app and to download it which was weird as normally iOS just does it, anyway noticed MB was in search rankings so downloaded it and well saw this little ‘borrow’ :wink: from Monzo.

4 Likes

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :smirk:

1 Like

The Metro Bank app had blocking cards before Monzo did, just the option was in a menu and not touted well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really?? I never saw it :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it was under the card menu after you select an account. (My old Android phone still had the app on it.) :stuck_out_tongue:

Can anybody remind me when Monzo opened up their API in a hackathon - thought it was ages ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

banking x integrity is good

The above Tweet is from Ian’s comment (to save him reposting it :wink:).

3 Likes

Ive just been corrected it was CreditAgricole that first opened their API up :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re French to be fair :slight_smile:

yes I thought about that but couldn’t be bothered looking whether they are a “UK licenced bank” - I assume they would be - but why let facts get in the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Starling’s reply :thinking:

which me & Ian have replied to :wink:

1 Like

They appear on the UK Register as EEA Authorised and so are regulated by another authority under a passporting arrangement

1 Like

Ok so not a UK bank :thumbsup:

1 Like

So Starling are 2nd not 3rd :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think Starling are picking a very weird argument to try and win on here. It’s one I don’t think they even need to win. You can fight over the definition of a bank or an “Open API” but none of that really matters. If their API is good, they should compete on the technical and availability level (honestly, that should be achievable considering Monzo’s fairly basic API).

In my opinion, nobody gets any credit for having a banking API until I can sign myself up for an account (without needing to be personally invited) and start messing around in a playground with tokens and full documentation. I’ve grown tired of “Open APIs” that actually require special manual approval or being selected to attend a once-off hackathon in London to access.

8 Likes

That’s true but that wasn’t my point here.

In my opinion, their marketing is consistently misleading (leaving out caveats or taking advantage of semantics - as they have today) - Megan wasn’t able to explain the claim in her replies, although she tried - & I think it’s important that a bank is straightforward & trustworthy.

I get that they’re trying to create hype & this is marketing but if they (or Monzo) fall short of those standards, it’s worth calling them out…until you get blocked :wink:

6 Likes

Monese have just introduced an automated bot to answer questions outside their usual customer service hours