Collected thoughts on card design

4 Likes

I really question how they manage to not spot that. They better fix it soon.

A better image from someone on twitter

4 Likes

To be honest, Halifax could do away with the needless “Current”; “Clarity Credit” etc. It adds nothing, and the branch staff should just know what each colour means.

It’s probably helpful for the customer if they have more than one Halifax card.

10 Likes

I like it less here. The edges seem rough, and the finish appears cheap and shiny.

5 Likes

I’ve also just realised how “top heavy” the card is. I don’t like everything being at the top and then their being that gap between the “X” and “Visa Debit”.

2 Likes

I’ve just looked at the Natwest card again and it is awful.

It just looks a mess. A kid could have designed something better than that.

8 Likes

New Halifax reward card

New Ultimate reward card

From Compare Current Accounts | Bank Accounts | Halifax

1 Like

I’m not sure if I like the colour of the Ultimate Reward card. Just seems a little too dark to me.

And a cashback credit card (which is the same colour as the Lloyds one with exactly the same benefits)

2 Likes

I quite like that one. Not a fan of the Mastercard logo though. Stands out way too much.

Yeah, there’s much too black, and the gradient is quite harsh. I can see why it’s been done, but it results in a very antiquated style of a gradient and isn’t very pleasing.

Child&co use the same gradient theming and execute it much more elegantly as you’d expect. The gradient is softer and smoother. So this aesthetic can work, it just needs to be softer and less harsh.

2 Likes

I agree, although to comment on Child & Co: they may have a fairly sophisticated style to their card now but a while ago it looked very tacky indeed - it just used to be a solid sparkly gold colour with gold embossing on the numbers.

It was supposed to evoke their heritage as goldsmiths, but really didn’t work.

I can’t find a picture of it now, unfortunately, but there did used to be some online.

1 Like

There is a database website on the internet somewhere that has documented almost every bank card design ever from the last 20+ years, but now I’m looking for it, I can never find it!

Probably one I should have bookmarked!

3 Likes

Do you mean this one? Sadly it doesn’t have Child & Co on it

https://colnect.com/en/bank_cards/catalog

2 Likes

No it’s not that but, though that can be a useful resource too.

It’s been a while, but I recall it being a list of banks and credit card companies, and then you’d click through to another list of all of their accounts, then to another list of all card designs associated with that account over the years.

It’s been a while, so may simply just be defunct and no longer exist now.

Edit: actually exploring that, clicking through to other pages, it may have been this! Or at least very similar. This page certainly looks familiar:
https://colnect.com/en/bank_cards/list/country/224-United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_Northern_Ireland/provider/7705-Barclays_Bank

Second edit: Yep! This is definitely it! Moral of the story: don’t dismiss a website from the first page you look at!

2 Likes

I doubt we are going to get any new design from the main banks any time soon considering they have all updated them recently.

I think my favourites are probably Santander, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Nationwide (Nationwide’s card looks a lot better in person imo). Despite this, I still don’t understand why RBS’s card is a beachhut.

I think my issue with the rest of them is that they are essentially all the same. The logo in the corner and then the symbol in the middle. It’s quite boring to be honest.

The worst has to be Natwest, closely followed by Starling.

4 Likes

Where’s the visa/MasterCard logo on the RBS one?

2 Likes

Good spot. Didn’t notice that it wasn’t there. Maybe on the back?

2 Likes