Collected thoughts on card design

I thought Monzo was all about being different and standing out? They’ll probably never go vertical if most of the others are doing that.

1 Like

I have really gone off monzo card when the embossing colour scrapes off after a few days.

Every Bank has gone vertical yet some banks still come out with a decent design. The cards bright coral so it would be super petty to hold on to horizontal and embossing to be different. But again it’s monzo so would not surprise me. My Starling card is holding up really well and I’m just waiting for my joint card to arrive.

2 Likes

I would say the worst vertical cards (after NatWest, but their horizontal card of the same design also looked bad) are HSBC and Halifax, mostly because of the repeated logo, but I don’t think they look bad.

TSB looks good, RBS looks very nice even if it has nothing to do with Scotland. Santander is easily the best though.

You can have a good vertical design whilst still being unique. You just need to make sure you do more than put your logo in the corner and in the centre.

2 Likes

Santander is my latest CASS victim so I’ll have that card in a few days.

I would say my favourite cards are:

Starling (not huge on teal and prefer the joint one from what pictures I saw online)

Amex BA (non embossed)

Santander (on the way)

Barclaycard Avios (like all of the new Barclay cards)

Child & Co

Cards I don’t have that look nice:

First direct and the credit card too

Chase

I like the club Lloyds but loose the embossing.

Everyone knows monzo just from the car colour. Drop the embossing and move to the rear. Stick the monzo logo on instead of the words and it would be much more modern.

To be fair I much preferred the old starling small font than the bold text. Equally i still love the original starling purple card I have.

Starling card with logo instead of text and that would have to be my go to.

4 Likes

I think Santander did a good thing just having their logo and ditching the writing. It just looks more stylish and modern. Think Starling missed a chance with that when they changed it to the massive writing.

I haven’t seen Starling new card in person but I’m not too bothered about the big writing. The older design looked better, but I’m a fan of the teal so it is still probably one of my favourites.

1 Like

I think the starling logo is modern and every time I open the app I think they missed a trick with not having this in white on the card.

3 Likes

I do like the logo, but don’t see why it needed to be so big, and why they didn’t put their S symbol on their card.

2 Likes

Just think they could have carried over some of the beautiful branding from the original cards to the teal design.

The old purple card was very nice imho

10 Likes

Aww the memories :sweat_smile:

One thing I wish they would do is change the app notification to white, not purple :purple_circle:

I was being broad and general. Saying that although they are not vertical they are fairly nice.

I prefer vertical but the embossing is my biggest gripe and makes it more difficult to fit in my card holder

Edit: your comment is gone and my reply now makes no sense to the thread :saluting_face:

2 Likes

I have to say it, but I’m really not a fan of purple. Teal blue I’d much better imo. If I had Starling, would definitely change the app icon away from that purple.

Mine is set to teal currently. Although when you spend via Apple Pay you see the purple logo anyway.

I won’t be surprised to see a brand update in the future where they consolidate the brand identity and ditch more of the purple bits for teal seeing as Teal is the starling brand go to colour

1 Like

Apologies, trying to edit on my phone is a bit fiddly. My comment said:

I thought you preferred vertical cards? None of those are vertical.

2 Likes

The starling version of teal is green; there’s nothing blue about it. I never had a purple card but it looks much classier than the teal card.

2 Likes

I actually prefer horizontal cards, but I agree with you about the embossing.

1 Like

one wonders whether it’s about charging you for the Plus and Premium card designs… :face_with_monocle:

It is. Don’t you remember the clamour for Monzo to do a metal card once Revolut had released one?

You few that collect cards care, the vast majority of Monzo customers could not care less about vertical, embossing, or anything else that one bank does that another doesn’t.

1 Like

I’d use my Monzo account a lot more if their card design was similar to starlings and I didn’t have to pay a fee to have such card.

2 Likes

I mean I moved my banking to starling as I don’t want to pay for things free elsewhere. So many banks offer open banking for free, yet monzo charge. The virtual cards are a big one for me as I claim back lost through work on my personal account and with starling have the virtual card connected to a space.

• I prefer the starling card design.

If monzo updated the card I would order it, but I wouldn’t move my banking back with paywalled basic features.

2 Likes