Chase Bank UK chat

I find it a bit odd they’re going with the Chase name. I hadn’t really heard of it, whereas I felt that JP Morgan has brand equity in the UK. Is it just me?

6 Likes

I wonder whether they just want all their core banking products to be under the same brand name internationally.

1 Like

Also maybe if they find it works it’s an easy way to gradually reposition their American model if they wanted to, all under the Chase umbrella.

Only speculating, as I know their venture with a digital bank didn’t go too well over there last time.

1 Like

Yeah it’s probably that or trying to minimise reputational risk with different brands for different things.

But my hypothesis stands: Chase isn’t known in the UK, JPM is - and they’re heavily associating Chase with JPM anyway, so the whole separate brand thing feels a bit like a waste of time. But I’m not (obviously) a branding expert :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe just me, but when I hear JP Morgan I think of big ol’ investment bankers and that mean rich guy on The Alienist and with Chase (Manhattan) I think of retail banks and slightly more cuddly Rockefellers

5 Likes

Maybe the uk can finally get Apple Card…

3 Likes

I think the same!

2 Likes

Had either of you heard about Chase though?

Actually it’s time to make a parody of myself for a quick poll:

Thinking back to before this news broke
  • I had heard of Chase
  • I hadn’t heard of Chase
  • I had heard of JP Morgan
  • I hadn’t heard of JP Morgan

0 voters

I’d like san Apple Card! But that’s provided my Goldman Sachs so that’s a different topic

I’m ready for more JPM Chase news though. They have one more month if they are to launch in Q1 as reported

4 Likes

I’ve known about Chase Manhattan (as it was) for decades. In the US, Chase is the retail bank, JPMorgan is the investment bank.

6 Likes

Chase offered credit cards in the UK during the early 2000s (when every man and his dog was trying to get into that market). They had a stand in the shopping centre between the UK head office of Capital One where I was working at the time, and the city centre. Had to run the gauntlet every lunchtime.

Edit: I think the branding was Chase Manhattan Bank, and I’m pretty sure it was early 2000s though may have been late 1990s.

3 Likes

I’m very surprised by the poll results, JP have a giant building in canary wharf with their branding on the side. As well as locations in other parts of the UK. As far as I’m aware, there is no Chase branding currently in the UK anywhere

2 Likes

It’s not Chevy Chase?

2 Likes

Me too!

But we are in a fintech bubble. I wonder what the answer would be if the question was “would your mum/dad/aunt/nephew know who Chase or JPM are?”

6 Likes

Probably right about the fintech bubble. I doubt any of my friends and family would know about JP Morgan and/or chase, even though JPM have a giant building in London. I’d be similarly surprised if any of them knew of the other large banks generally present outside of the UK.

Agreed. Especially in the UK, where few international banks operate on a large scale in the UK (Santander being the only large one who operates under the same brand name). It’s a different story overseas. Indeed UK banks (other than HSBC) really don’t operate anywhere else either.

It’s a different story in a place like North America or Asia. Scotiabank (The Bank of Nova Scotia), The Royal Bank of Canada (Also operating under RBC and RBC City National outside of Canada), the Bank of Montreal/BMO and TD Bank (Toronto Dominion) operate all over the Americas and that’s just Canadian banks.

2 Likes

But by the fintech bubble argument I would expect Chase and JP to be even. Somehow Chase is ahead

I’d love to hear from someone that has heard of Chase but not JP Morgan before?

1 Like

To be fair I thought it was just about Chase so I voted that I’d heard of Chase and left it there :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Not quite what you’re looking for but I’m American, live in the US, and heard of Chase way before I’d heard of JP Morgan. The first time I’d heard of JP Morgan was one day when I was calling customer service for something on my Sapphire credit card in the mid-2010s and they answered “JP Morgan Premier line” and I’d thought my call was mis-routed. (It wasn’t- they were trying to make “higher-tier customer service” a selling point for that card and that was one of the ways they were going about it). But even after the JP Morgan brand “seeped” into certain retail-level products (like investments) I’d always got the impression that it was always higher-tier than that, like it wasn’t going to be a brand I’d regularly deal with as an average person.

Given that I can see why they’d use the Chase name instead of JP Morgan even if JPM is more recognizable. Start with that and people are going to immediately make assumptions that they’re only going for the 1% or that it’s a brokerage account.

3 Likes

I was visiting an American friend a couple of years ago. They were hiring a skip (sorry, dumpster) over the phone and was being asked for his bank information to pay for it. He was asked the banks name and he said JP Morgan Chase. He was asked over the phone how to spell the JP Morgan bit :man_shrugging:

1 Like