Chase Bank UK chat

I’ve not noticed anything battery wise on my 13PM, but hey who uses their bank app for more than 5 minutes in a day?

2 Likes

Probably about 90pc of this forum :joy:

I have noticed that the app (even though I dont have a chase account) seemed to still drain the battery slightly in the background via location services.

10 Likes

Checking my iPhone, in battery stats it shows Chase, Monzo and Paypal all at 1% of battery usage. Starling and Revolut is 2%.

1 Like

Chase 2%, Monzo 2%

WhatsApp double that :man_shrugging:

Android.

Monzo is the battery hog of finance apps on my phone. Uses more % per minute of screen time than most other banking apps. In fact it only really gets beaten by games!

Chase doesn’t use much at all in comparison. It’s hard to compare though, because I don’t use all of the apps daily, and when I am using them, it’s rarely for more than a few minutes.

2 Likes

You do seem to have a few issues with your Huawei

I’ve never had one of their phones,

Their phones were underrated. I had a P20 Pro and a P30 Pro and they were amongst the best phones I’ve owned, I loved the cameras and the software was my second favourite version of Android, but without Google Play services their new devices are pretty much useless in western markets.

5 Likes

i loved my p30 and would jump back right away if they had google play , i have heard they have brought out their own version , but its a faf to get banking apps ect on to work so untill google comes back then its a no from me

I use iPhone.

3 Likes

I dont know how you have so many issues with your phone and Monzo, my 13 Pro, Monzo uses very very little when I have checked. I am going to check over the next week and get hard numbers but its no where near a battery hog.

Monzo and Chase on my phone use very similar amounts based on screen, Monzo is slightly less but its so close they are much the same as it depends on what I am doing in each etc.

2 Likes

I think the fact Monzo have had to put together an iOS health team would indicate it’s more their problem than mine!

Today as an example, Monzo has had 2 minutes of screen on time, and is responsible for 2% of my battery usage so far today. Compare that to Discord for example, which I’ve used for a little over an hour today of screen on time, at the cost of only 5% battery usage.

Or FoodNoms which has 14 minutes of screen on time and 8 minutes background using just 1%. Or Apollo which used just 1% after 38 minutes of screen on time.

Or for the banking comparisons for today, RBS used 0%* for 6 minutes of screen on time. PayPal 0% for 8 minutes. Haven’t used any other banking apps today.

There’s also the fact we’re dealing with percentages here too. I might use fewer apps than you, or be on my phone less than you, meaning Monzo will naturally represent a greater share of my battery usage. The calculations don’t mean it’s consumed 2% out of 100% of my battery capacity, but that it’s responsible for 2% of the 60% I’ve consumed in the last 24 hours. If you’re running more apps than me or you’re on your phone more, you’ll see that diminish somewhat. If you’re running less or on it less, it’ll be exaggerated.

It’s a fairly reliable metric though, as even over 10 days where Monzo has a grand total of 27 minutes of screen on time, it’s responsible for 3%, and is my highest usage app on a per minute basis besides Pokémon go, which is the only game I play. Chase in comparison over 10 days is 1% for 23 minutes of screen on time. It’s lower than Monzo but still fairly high compared to very efficient apps like Apollo and FoodNoms. I include FoodNoms here, because although it’s 1% for todays 14 minutes, it’s still 2% for 2 hours and 21 minutes over 10 days. Apollo is next level using just 2% for 3h38m.

For a baseline, we’ll use safari, which is my most used app. Today is 47% for 3h49m. 4.7% per 23 minutes. About 5 times more efficient than Monzo. Over 10 days it’s 46% for 28h39m. 4.6% per 172 minutes. 2.3% per 86 minutes. About 4 times more battery efficient than Monzo. Obviously this is ignorant of the tasks I carry out in safari. YouTube no doubt will use more than browsing these forums, for instance.

*displays as a dash when showing by battery usage, but has minutes shown when viewed by activity so I presume it’s more than 0% but less than 1%.

Apologies for all the numbers! Hopefully it’s still readable enough.

4 Likes

Last 10 days, Monzo 1 hour 1m = 1% Chase 38m = 1% so much the same to be honest.
I really never have your battery issues with Monzo to be honest, I am not sure why it seems so broken for you but then you had weird issues with it crashing on launch that were hard to recreate I believe.

I dont doubt your having issues but I would be curious just how widespread the issues are and hope they find what’s causing it but I imagine it will be hard without dev diagnostics plugged into your phone logging.

Out of interest how long have you had your current profile for on iOS (aka since you did a fresh install without restoring a backup)?
There have been BIG issues with people running beta builds in the past and compounding problems in their backup saves over time but I dont know if 16 had as many quirks as 15 and 14 did.

But I digress, Chase has not had any major iOS battery issues for myself that I have noticed but iOS 16 has its own battery quirks still.

1 Like

Someone on here keeps complaining about their Huawei, thought it was you, oops. Sorry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nothing we don’t already know but interesting nonetheless:

4 Likes

Surprised to see PayPal there. Thought folks were ditching them en masse judging by Twitter. Not even sure what all that drama was about.

2 Likes

I found Atom was a drain on battery. Haven’t used it for a while so maybe it’s improved.

The old Atom app was, way back when it was built with Unity… The app is much friendlier now since it’s no longer technically a game.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember that Twitter Drama about PayPal proposing to change terms to report small value transactions to either the IRS or some other regulatory/supervisory org. Just one of those reminders that Twitter/internet doesn’t necessarily reflect real life. PayPal is as dominant as Visa and Mastercard it seems.

Ironically, just added Chase to my PayPal via the in-app prompt and it was smooth process.

1 Like

how old are we talking about lol

Chase have also remembered they’ve actually got that ‘Community’ that they setup…

We have a new forum open on The Chase Community, and we would be keen to hear from you.

You may have noticed that recently we made some changes to the Chase app design. We are interested to know your thoughts on this, and how you’ve been finding it.

• What were your first impressions of the new design?
• Is there anything you particularly like? Anything that stood out?
• Is there anything you struggled with or think could be improved?
• How does the app design compare vs. your other providers?

1 Like