Chase Bank UK chat

I think this is probably the biggest own goal of Chase - the decision to ‘hide’ the physical card number. All the other recent issues (poor customer service and onboarding new accounts, downtime of the service) can be fixed with enough money thrown at it. But the decision to have different physical card number and the virtual card number is pretty fundamental and probably very difficult to change.

Not printing the number on the card is a good idea - and I wonder if that’s something other banks (especically ‘fintechs’ like Monzo) will follow with as well.

However, having a different hidden card number on the physical card compared to the virtual card number that’s displayed in the app and literally not letting customers see the physical number seems to show that Chase didn’t consider that there will be times when you need to actually know that number to verify charges with merchants.

They overcomplicated it - and I’m not sure what advantage the current setup has over if they’d just had the same card number on the physical card displayed in the app?

8 Likes

I’d complain to chase and get them to give you £1.40. They will soon make the physical card number available in the app to stop complaints

I completely agree and this is exactly my issue with them.

I’m not bothered about the amount, I was just worried about possible fraud. Though having chatted it through with the community here, I’m not as concerned now and realise it is probably either me being an idiot and making a mistake, or an error with First Bus charging.

It just seems mad that in situations like this, it is not possible to obtain the details required to verify a transaction made with the physical card, and the only alternative is to file a dispute.

1 Like

When I tap physical transactions in chase feed it offers me to show full details.

But it depends how transactions are processed. So I was able to get full physical card details in my app.

It was on a tfl transaction however.

1 Like

Transport companies are one of the only ones who can see your real card number from the Google pay one, try entering the regular chase card number and see if it picks it up.

As you can see here it asks for the long number linked to your phone, not the actual virtual card number that your phone used.

3 Likes

I believe the first six numbers will be the same for all Chase UK Mastercard debit cards, and you have the last four, so send these to the bus company and this should satisfy their request.

2 Likes

Gave that a go with the card details on the app, but had no luck unfortunately. :cry:

First Bus couldn’t find any transactions under it.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll email them back and give that a go. They want the expiry date too though, I guess I should try the same one as the digital card… :thinking:

3 Likes

They are the same prefix and expiry for me.

Also the tfl transaction has bubble to see full card details. No idea why that is not just simply available.

Also ponder if there are apps to just read NFC card details.

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll email them and see what they come back with.

Yeah I’m pretty sure I read somewhere about people using NFC apps/readers to obtain the details!

1 Like

For anyone who uses PayPal to check out:

5 Likes

Couldn’t you use Chase with PayPal before? Is there a technical reason why not?

2 Likes

It means now you can directly add it to PayPal just by clicking a button in the Chase app. No need to manually enter anything. You could and still can do it manually yourself. Much like Revolut and their easy add to Amazon feature.

5 Likes

My 1% cashback expires 23 September, so unlikely it will be my spending card post that date tbh

8 Likes

It’s not a MC issue, it’s an issuer issue mainly - Different card issuers have their own rules for when auth drop off

Likewise as above, when that 1% period is over in September I’ll revert back to Monzo as my everyday spending. I’ll continue using Chase as a savings account however.

7 Likes

Moved my savings over from Chase to Virgin Money today. Took 7 hours when it was pending.

9 Likes

I threw a few grand into Virgin from Chase last night, it took less than 10 minutes. I might be just ‘lucky’ I guess.

2 Likes

Recently received my card so was just trying out some bits and made a few transactions. Then received this text message and everything since has been declined. Have messaged on chat and they have just said they are working through it, but that was over 2 hours ago…are they normally this slow to sort out a problem?

1 Like

Just booked some tickets for a trip to London and, for a change, an e-ticket was not an option.

Chose the Collect At Station option but, in view of the issues between the number on physical Chase card and the in-app card number, paid for it with my trusted Monzo.

Lovely smooth transaction. Not even an Approve In App requirement either :person_shrugging:

4 Likes