Cash around for decades to come

my local station has vending machines that take cards

3 Likes

Faster Payments work for this.

Is a crime against humanity I won’t support :rofl:

Sure…

If enough people don’t have cash, they’ll get Square or iZettle soon enough. Already in the US, Girl Scouts (US equivalents) almost always have Square readers.

Never seen one that didn’t take cards.

Again, Faster Payments are a good option here - put a note that you’ll give them a bank transfer. Also, if you know shops they love, gift cards.

Seems to me a good excuse not to play :slight_smile: Also, can be done with tokens or, better, electronic bet tracking and bank transfers at the end of the night to winners/losers.

2 Likes

Let’s say that you’re at the end of a night-out, in a town with no Uber service. You get into a private hire taxi or black cab…

When the cab driver asks you for payment as you leave his taxi, do you?:

a) Wave your phone/debit card at the driver, in the hope that he’s been adequately “chipped” to receive payment.

b) Pay the driver with notes you withdrew from an ATM earlier, as you knew that you’d have to pay for a cab home at some point.

2 Likes

Great.

But some situations do still require cash, and The Bank Of England agrees:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/speeches/2017/speech978.pdf

3 Likes

Yeah…still not seeing how the collection around the office is working with faster payments. Bizarre! :joy:

4 Likes

One person is responsible for it and takes bank transfers from everyone else to pay for the outing/leaving gift/whatever.

Before I get in to a taxi I just tell the guy I got no cash take me go the nearest machine.

1 Like

That’s lethal you know - especially in a town you’re unfamiliar with.

Cab drivers can get a tad creative when attempting to find “the nearest” ATM. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

This. Adulting 101. Whilst I try my very best to avoid taxis like the plague, there are rare occasions where there’s simply no other option. If you’re going to take a taxi, especially in an unfamiliar city:

1. Know the shortest route and time already from Google Maps, watch for any funny business.
  2. When hailing the taxi, make a mental note of the taxi’s licence number. Be inconspicuous, but record this as soon as possible.
  3. Before getting in, ask the driver to confirm:
    a. The rate. It should match the rate posted on the door.
    b. That their taximeter is working.
    c. That their card machine is working.
  4. Once in, tell them the address you want to go to, and about how far away it is (so they know, or think, you’re familiar with the area).
  5. Ensure they switch on the taximeter and that it starts at zero (no run-in, there should be no run-in if you hailed a taxi in the street).
  6. At the end of the journey, pay the amount on the taximeter. Do not accept that the card machine is broken, surcharges (unless disclosed clearly in writing and legal in the local jurisdiction), etc. You checked this before entering the vehicle, remind them of that fact.
  7. If there are any problems, report the drive to the local licencing authority.

and in London black cab drivers should wear a badge with their driver’s cab license number which different to the cab’s cab license number. that useful to note as that is what the cab office want when you report a driver

1 Like

Or if Uber (or similar) is an option use that - most such companies give you precise route map with the receipt and are happy to accept dispute claims if you believe the route(thus charge) has been dodgy.

21st century technology guys :wink:

3 Likes

Come on…no way am I giving my bank details to 80+ people!

1 Like

London cabs start on £2.60. So no, don’t expect the taximeter to be on zero.

This is all very idealistic. Not everyone lives life so structured.

6 Likes

Zero time/distance, is what I meant. Unless you pre-booked, you shouldn’t be charged time/distance before you got in.

What are they gonna do with them though? Using them for their direct debits? This kind of fraud is so easy to track down (and reverse) that it never happens.

1 Like

In the UK, especially. I’d feel a LOT more hesitant giving out routing number (sort code) and account number for my US checking [SIC] account.

It’s all well and great, but when you’ve had a few scoops to many, you’re just glad to get home! However, Uber is great for this, as if taxi driver does take some dodgy route, you can dispute it. If getting a prebooked taxi, just agree a fair to get where you are going.

All this is from from self experience :beer: :beer: :dizzy_face:

Ah, I’ve never got in a taxi when under the influence of alcohol. At least not one I paid for.

As much as I hate cash, there is always a place for it.
Even one we never think of, is maybe dropping someone that is homeless a few pennies or pounds. I do have a business idea I would love to explore sometime to help them in collections in the declining market of cash, however til that time, every penny helps.

1 Like

Many charities are now using contactless. And I’m more likely to give. No need to think. Reach out, tap phone.

The ONLY sticking point I see (I don’t give cash directly to homeless people) is Big Issue sellers. A four-way partnership, say with Square and Monzo and Vodafone and The Big Issue could be awesome here. Provide sellers a basic smartphone but decent for their needs, a Square account and hardware, a Monzo account, and phone service. This could be such a lifeline… Communication with loved ones, improved revenue, safety in bad situations and banking services so many are traditionally locked out of…

3 Likes