Bó (Natwest/RBS challenger brand) chat

Fair enough, I know a couple of other people who said they were involved, but there wasn’t much focus, compared to the RBS/Natwest stuff.

I guess it depends on where/what you are doing.

But as I said before, going digital will be them trying to cut costs, it’s a large motivator.

The “killer” feature is if they can tie some support into using their cash machines (cash withdrawl without the card) or if you need help in a branch you could pop in (similar to what First direct do with HSBC).

Can you tell us a bit more about what happened? I didn’t realise they had an application for a banking licence rejected!

I know RBS have at least two banking licences, and I thought they only restructured to their current use of both after the Williams & Glyn project collapsed.

I assumed W&G would either be sold as a brand to a current banking licence holder (Santander) or come with one of the existing licences.

1 Like

I’ve noticed recently that when I use my Lloyd’s debit card I get an Apple Pay Notification even if I use my physical card. It’s not 100% consistent yet but it’s becoming more regular.

Likewise Amex also send me an Apple Pay notification when I use the physical card

2 Likes

AMEX have instant notifications for everything (Apple Pay or not).

The whole AMEX experience is very good.

8 Likes

This happens when banks ‘fully’ support Apple Pay (it allows all transactions to be visible from the Wallet app). So far Monzo and Starling haven’t bothered with this. I’ve only noticed it so far with Amex and it’s a nice feature to have.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that RBS and NatWest have always operated under their own (separate) banking licences. This is why you can get full £85k FSCS protection on a NatWest and RBS account at the same time. There’s a pretty comprehensive list here, but major banking groups often have more than one licence (it seems Coutts still operates under its own licence as well, despite being part of RBS):

1 Like

Think you’re right. My original point was in reply to the statement that RBS was apparently having trouble licensing Williams & Glyn bank, which they had to offload. I was wondering why they were trying for another licence, when they could have used one of their existing ones post–restructure.

1 Like

And here we go again:

Royal Bank of Scotland has become the first of the UK’s big high street lenders to open a standalone digital bank, with the launch of a new business-focused current account that will be run independently of its traditional brands.

The new bank, called Mettle, is designed for small business customers, and will provide a current account alongside services such as invoicing and cash flow forecasting. Alison Rose, RBS head of commercial and private banking, said the new brand was designed to give customers “a different choice” about how to bank as new technology changes the behaviour and priorities of many small businesses.

Small exert from the FT article, you if you don’t have a subscription google for “Royal Bank of Scotland to launch digital bank for SMEs” and follow the link there for free access to it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s being launched with the team from 11FS (who do the fintech insider podcast) so it’ll actually be fintech!

2 Likes

Apparently Mettle isn’t a bank yet

https://intercom.help/MettleFAQs/frequently-asked-questions/account-information/is-mettle-a-bank

Give it time… it has just been launched…

Mettle is a bank

Staling Bank :eyes:

4 Likes

It sure runs on their infrastructure.

Hopefully that means it’s not constrained by what Starling can/can’t do. Xero/FreeAgent integration, I’m looking at you… :eyes:

Huh? Where have you seen that Starling are going to be launching these soon? They’ve been saying ‘a few weeks’ for months and months.

As a consumer, I’m not necessarily following what every company is doing (Xerocon?), all I see is Starling continually fobbing people off when they’re asked about the integration - “Very excited”, “next few weeks” etc - for ages.

RBS still haven’t got a hold on basic security:

…even after a public shaming:

https://www.troyhunt.com/im-sorry-you-feel-this-way-natwest-but-https-on-your-landing-page-is-important/

4 Likes

I saw this on their Facebook earlier…

1 Like

Having explicitly asked both companies, via social media and the respective in-app support, and receiving the standard generic :soon: response, I’m not sure what else we’re supposed to do? It’s fine saying ‘just DM Tom’ (or Anne, in Starling’s case), but they’re unlikely to reply, in my experience. No idea who Megan is, unfortunately, so can’t ask her.

I’m sure it is actually imminent this time, but the point was more the fact that they’ve been saying the same thing for months, promising features which aren’t anywhere near being released.

EDIT: I completely understand about companies not wanting to commit themselves to something, but at least have a realistic response (ie end of the year or something), rather than just teasing ‘very soon’.

Is there a date for Bo yet? Maybe they’ll beat N26

1 Like