Bó (Natwest/RBS challenger brand) chat

Amen :pray:

Which is what many people have likely been doing with Monzo (and why most people still aren’t full Monzo).

3 Likes

I think it’s a blocking technique actually, to position challengers as spending accounts while “proper” banks handle overdrafts, direct debits etc.

6 Likes

And similarly, the same could be said of Starling Bank.

My Wife and I have a fully functioning joint Nationwide Flex Plus account which handles all of the boring mundane direct debits/mortgage/Council Tax/house insurance etc and food shopping, plus anything else at all to do with maintaining the home. All of the bills are set up to go out on the first working day of the month, which means anything left over in the account is for ‘the unexpected’. We don’t do direct debits spread out all over the month, it’s messy and doesn’t make any sense to do it that way.

We then have our own personal spending accounts with Starling Bank into which our salaries are paid and a monthly standing order of equal amount from both of us is diverted to the Nationwide account. Everything else in our personal account then belongs to each of us as individuals, so my Wife pays for her own car fuel, I pay for mine etc. We’re both responsible for our own credit cards etc. We also have our own personal direct debits for things like PayPal, Apple, life insurance etc, set up from our individual accounts. It’s basic logical money management and it works! I know from month to month that what is left in my personal account, is mine to do with as I please.

2 Likes

We do that but once we had kids, I ended up adopting the joint account as my own since I was the only one contributing to it at that point. Thus I have my spending and the joint spending all in the same place now.

I suppose I could split them up again now but it works OK the way it is.

1 Like

I sometimes forget just how easy my Wife and I actually have it, dual salaries plus I am in receipt of a final salary pension and we don’t have any kids. I’ll close the door behind me…:wink:

1 Like

Anyone heard anything about this recently? I was expecting this to be a big launch, but it looks like perhaps Change UK have taken over the running of its launch by the looks of things.

Wonder if they considered buying anyone

They did invest in loot

I’m very amused reading this topic in the knowledge that “bó” is Irish for “cow”.

2 Likes

A bold moove.

1 Like

RBS’s marketing team deserve a pat on the back for thinking so far out of the box :poop:

Just noticed Bo have updated their website within the past few weeks.

Will be interesting to see what it’s like once it comes out of closed beta!

1 Like

The bank card looks sick.

3 Likes

Perhaps it has a Summer cold.

2 Likes

In the good or bad sense of the word?! :joy:

Defo sticking to my Dozens card for yellow goodness

1 Like

Signed up just cause it’s Visa :joy:

1 Like

I did the exact same.

1 Like

The https://bo.money domain was way cooler.
Still excited to see what they are going to do though.

2 Likes

Looks like they are operating under NatWest’s banking licence instead of getting their own:

* If you have accounts with Bó and NatWest, the maximum you would be able to claim across all accounts combined is £85,000.
[…]
Bó is part of National Westminster Bank Plc (“NatWest”), registered in England and Wales (Registered Number 929027). Registered Office: 250 Bishopsgate, London, EC2M 4AA. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. NatWest is entered on the Financial Services Register and its Register number is 121878.

1 Like

They have no reason to get their own, they are part of the RBS group.

3 Likes

Only two free ATM withdrawals a month though…

1 Like