As a consumer, does it matter to me whether my card is Visa or Mastercard?

Seb answered you question, but one thing I’d like to add to this, is situations like that highlight exactly why we need greater visibility over how this works.

I’m not properly clued into the ins and outs of how this works, so I don’t know how much, if any, visibility banks have over these themselves. Though presumably enough to know if your details have been automatically updated! Whatever information they have, I really think they ought to make it available to customers.

There’s also the other side of the coin, where we have no idea which merchants actually support it either. And in some cases, we don’t even know which banks are doing it.

I received a message from a friend not too long whom I do the Xbox game sharing loop hole thing with (where his console is my home Xbox, and my console is his home Xbox, so we get access to each other’s game library). He noticed his billing details for his gamepass subscription were not his own, so he messaged me worried if I’d accidentally been getting charged for his gamepass subscription. Turned out his card was due to expire that month and his details had automatically been updated before NatWest had even sent out the new card.

In its current implementation, as nice as automatic updates are, it’s extremely confusing for users, and in some cases could cause them worry or panic. We need greater visibility and control over it. I don’t know if that’s something MasterCard and Visa need to build, or if it’s something the banks must do, but I believe someone needs to.

3 Likes