Annual Report 2020

I thought that was common knowledge? Metal card etc.

Plus focuses on software features and Premium(?) will include those plus insurance etc?

8 Likes

I’m a close follower and that wasn’t common knowledge in my mind.

This is going to be really hard for them to differentiate, price it too low and the £5 package will look too expensive and will lose mass take up, price it too high and they’ll end up price anchoring (for the nudge theory lovers) the lower end offering and people won’t see the value in anything more expensive.

And from a personal perspective, I’d prefer them to expand the £5pm offering to include the things you listed.

It was in one of their updates on why Plus was delayed and that they were going to strip out the premium tier and just launch with the lower one.

2 Likes

Who wouldn’t prefer more features for the same price? I’d prefer Sky to expand their £25 offering to include sports and movies but that’s not how it works.

8 Likes

I’m a day one Plus member and very happy. But it’s clear that many aren’t and you’d hope that the formerly very transparent Monzo was listening to its community.

you would have to know how many have taken up the offering and then asked to cancel I suppose

The problem is that this forum is no longer representative of Monzo’s user base. It would be inappropriate to tailor the product to the whims of the forum consensus or the comments on this or any other thread. That doesn’t mean they aren’t conducting user testing/focus groups with representative, randomly selected users/potential users. The forum was great in the early stages for creating a buzz, but now Monzo is a household name. It doesn’t serve any useful purpose to Monzo any more, and I’m fine with that - it still has a use for us to idly spectulate and while away our time but don’t kid yourself that anyone within Monzo considers the views here to be any more valuable than the next person.

5 Likes

So long as they continue to engage with us on testing and de-snagging new features, such as happened recently with Easy Bank Transfer, I am fine with that personally

It pained me personally that the Starling forum closed (though it did not seem a good fit for them), but it was never about me being slavishly listened to, but rather having a chance for some interaction

9 Likes

For me, this is truth.

I visit the Monzo community less and less, with over 4 million customers this notice board cannot hope to cater to all opinions and probably represents less than 1% of Monzo users.

It’s been fun, but Monzo today is not Monzo 2 years ago. Maybe it is time for Monzo to sell up shop to a larger fish that can continue the journey.

The article in the guardian is more of a footnote with the other recent banks, they main article is the figure from NatWest

1 Like

My apologies, I did mean to type £100. I can assure you that there was no hidden meaning behind the error, only insufficient keypress pressure (same thing just happened when I typed ‘insufficient’ and only one ‘f’ appeared, but this time I caught it :grimacing: )

1 Like

If one adds NatWest and RBS together it’s just 1,500 total gain. So I would say they are at standstill.

No idea why one brand is loosing whilst the other winning.

Think the bump in switch numbers is because Natwest had a £175 switch incentive in February.

I suppose its saves a lot of time and journalists if you just go through the same copy every year

2 Likes

But so did the RBS brand. And yet 14,100 net left RBS and 15,600 net joined Natwest.

If everyone was eligible, they spend incentives on 47,500 customers, only to have lots others leave and overall gain 1,500 customers. Sounds horrible.

1 Like

Why are you linking to an article published in November 2019?

This is 2020 thread about the 2020 report. It would quite forward looking telegraph if it new 2020 results last November!

I’ve only loosely been following this thread, but I believe that was the point. The media just regurgitating last year’s spiel because Monzo are still not profitable yet?

3 Likes

Did you read the 2020 article from telegraph?

It is different to the 2019 one you linked, and uses up to date figures.

1 Like

Does that clear it up?

6 Likes

It will be interesting to see the Starling annual report, which in the past has been released in August (but they have until the end of November). I note the Starling social media team threw some shade in a response to someone asking them about their position earlier, so perhaps they are more confident in their results.