Announcing the Overdrafts Preview!

:wave: all, a very short update to hopefully answer some of the more frequent questions. More details will follow next week.

How quickly is overdraft being rolled out?
We are in the process of rolling out the overdraft to all of our eligible current account customers. We are doing this gradually, because we want to give ourselves time to test the infrastructure and make sure everything works as expected. Also we want to give ourselves time to react to your feedback and make sure we build the experience that works for everyone. So far, we have rolled out overdrafts in batches of a thousand people, at the rate of a few batches each week. We’ve done about 10 of these batches so far. These are either people who have expressed an interest in overdraft or offered to be an early tester + people who have been randomly selected from our more active current account users.

Will I know if I don’t get an overdraft?
If you’ve expressed interest in an overdraft or signed up to be an early tester, than you will receive an email later today informing you if you haven’t been offered an overdraft at this time. If you are one of the people randomly selected for the overdraft preview, then you are only notified if you are eligible for an overdraft.

Why didn’t I get an overdraft? Why are my limits lower than I expected?
TL;DR Please :bear: with us. We’re still in the early days of our overdraft offering and so the rules we currently use to determine whether or not to offer someone credit are relatively conservative. We are learning lots about the best user experience and all things lending. In addition to which, we are committed to lending responsibly. As such, we are likely to err on the side of being overly cautious and not offer you an overdraft right now, even if you have a good credit score. By rolling out lending slowly at lower amounts, it limits the risk we take on and allows us time to learn how we can best handle or avoid cases of financial difficulties or fraud.

12 Likes