Amex (American Express) Discussion & Feedback

Amex pushing in app chat on latest update.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry too much about financial reviews.

As long as you arenā€™t gaming them for points (breach of their T&Cs), using laundered money to finance sprees, or otherwise doing anything shady, you should be ok.

I went through one as I was spending Ā£30k-Ā£40k a month and after the FR was concluded, I got a letter notifying me my credit limit was to be almost doubled.

ā€œDo not leave this chat unattendedā€

:pensive:

1 Like

I spotted that yesterday and wondered whether itā€™d always been there. Nice move by Amex: theyā€™re a top company who keep getting better.

1 Like

I wondered about that when I saw it. My experience of their web chat is that they answer quite quickly and are able to do anything that you would expect to be able to do by talking to them on the phone. If the in app chat is the same then I am quite happy to wait for a reply as itā€™s usually within a minute. There is no hanging around for minutes or hours or days as Iā€™ve experienced elsewhere. I guess there is probably no record of the chat though (same as the web chat) which might put some people off.

Has anyone used it?

1 Like

Amex still have two pointless Twitter accounts that donā€™t seem to have any value. They just tell people to call, and get spammed by people wanting to use Curve.

My Platinum card is slightly damaged though, Iā€™ll be requesting a replacement next week. :grinning:

Hey Jon I canā€™t figure out how to DM you so feel free to DM me back properly. I was actually looking for a Platinum referral if the offer is still there, let me know, thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey, I know you requested Jonā€™s link but if itā€™s not available anymore please feel free to use mine, or any from the referral board. Thanks

Ah thanks! However, I just read the fine print and it turns out I donā€™t get any bonus (even just the referral bonus) since I already have any points with Amexā€¦ real bummer.

Not sure of exact terms ,but Iā€™m pretty sure you can sign up again after canceling and still get referral points.

Maybe try do it over the phone.

They used to make you leave 6 months. I read somewhere this might be being upped.

1 Like

24 months now

4 Likes

Thisā€™ll be where I heard it :wink:

It sort of makes sense (from their business point of view).

2 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with AMEX and car rentals? I have the gold credit card and the benefits on the website do not display anything about car rental insurance. I have heard that if you book car rentals on credit cards then there is a level of protection? is this true? I am going to a trip to Vancouver and planning to hire a car (first time I am doing this outside of Europe) and I would like to avoid the extra insurances that they generally push you to take! Wondering if the AMEX has some built-in insurance for car rentals

I think only amex platinum gives you some insurance on cars, but whatever you get should be worldwide. youā€™re probably best off calling and asking so thereā€™s no confusion.

1 Like

Yes, think itā€™s only Platinumā€¦ you can upgrade so could save the fee if you dont have to pay insurance and CWD on your rentalšŸ‘ could get 20k points too.

1 Like

I donā€™t know which Banks offer them in the UK but Mastercard ā€˜Worldā€™ cards offer MasterRental for free. It gives you insurance anywhere in the world for damage etc. on hire cars.

Or you can simply pay for car hire excess insurance, which is probably the most cost-effective way and doesnā€™t tie you into anything else. An annual policy is usually less than what youā€™d spend on paying the hire company directly for a single hire, and you can also get single trip policies for less.

4 Likes

+1 to what @jzw95 said.

I always buy excess insurance privately, usually just getting single trip policies. Itā€™s cheap but beware that hire companies may put a large hold on your credit card for turning down their damage waiver.

I always use this comparison site to buy mine: https://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/car-hire-excess-insurance

2 Likes

Try use a reputable excess insurance company not just the cheapest.

Excess insurance wouldnā€™t pay out without a copy of the car insurance assessorā€™s report. But the rental company in Spain claimed that they just wrote off the loss of the car and didnā€™t make a claim off their insurers.( was a relatively low value car so makes sense)