You’ve invested £20,000,000 in Monzo! 🚀

…so said Warren Buffett :grinning:

9 Likes

Bought mine on walking over to lunch around five past 12, a little shocked that they were already at around 18.5 million. Had expected to have a bit more time to sort! Waiting on the transfer from Marcus to go through was a long few minutes against the clock

1 Like

I guess the motto here is… You snooze you lose :rofl:

2 Likes

+1 - the fundraising process was designed to create headlines (about how fast the shares were selling out), rather than to give longstanding customers a chance to invest.

Most share subscriptions provide a window of several weeks to sign up, then prorate the shares across all the customers who signed up.

I’m sorry to say but 33,549 new investors, who are all customers in Monzo, stand to differ with you on that point.

14 Likes

While I understand the disappointment of not getting shares, I don’t understand what’s ‘unfair’ about this really. Everyone had the same opportunity. Monzo can’t possibly take into account the personal circumstances of every would-be investor?

3 Likes

A common process for share subscriptions is to leave them open for some time, and allocate shares at the end of the subscription period. This means that nobody misses out because they are e.g. travelling in a different timezone for example :angry:, the downside of course is that buyers may get a reduced allocation of shares if the offer is oversubscribed.

IMO this would have been a better way for Monzo to raise funds, in that more customers would have had the chance to invest.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

3 Likes

“Sour grapes” is when you fail to get something, then claim you didn’t want it anyway.

I wanted the damn shares :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am normally really rubbish about being on time for stuff like this, but even I felt like I had plenty of time to purchase shares. Far easier than buying Taylor Swift tickets! - I am not a fan. Honest!

6 Likes

Indeed… Personally I don’t want another round - it’ll dillute what I’ve just bought :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: indeed, at £7 a share I thought the price a little steep - but still some room for value. There is a danger the share price could be inflated on hype / FOMO akin to crypto. I’m just waiting for the IPO, or some big established bank to buy Monzo out. Monzo won’t topple the establishment - but does have chance to change it.

Great post. I didn’t invent (although had intended too) purely because I didn’t get round to it until about 1330.

Absolutely no-one to blame except myself though. I think you’ve articulated really well just how inclusive Monzo tried to be. Also demonstrated by new vs previous investors split.

1 Like

TBG

14 Likes

yes you can - easily done - new one arrives quickly - not a great improvement on the design but there you go
will keep my old card for posterity

simple to activate new and old to deactivate

1 Like

Hi Guys, I am fortunate enough to have grabbed a small slice of the fun in the recent crowdfunding round, now I understand that to do this I needed to have an active crowdcube account (which I did) so what I’m wondering is that once the dust has settled will my my monzo deal appear in my crowdcube portfolio? This is where I’d like to see it.

There was no requirement for a Crowdcube account so I don’t think it’s yet clear how this will be managed. I’m guessing accountsbwill be involved somehow but whether visibly or behind an integration, I don’t know.

2 Likes

I was in away when shares went on sale for public.
Tried for good hour and always was some notification ( oops something went wrong ).
I don’t think monzo expected that high demand.
I got change to grab some not much.
Tried to buy more but couldn’t even added more shares account.
Think was locked for one time only purchase like if you but 20 shares that all what you can get .
A bit silly as i didn’t exceeded individual invest amount just want but few more but system won’t let me.

It did say you only got one chance to buy and that you wouldn’t be able to adjust your amount.

2 Likes

Thats very odd… i was on 3g data and found it to be a stp. Very easy and load wasnt an issue at 10:04 ish

Stp = straight through process*

1 Like

I appear to have accidentally clicked my self out of the investors group.
Anyone know how I get my self back in?