You can now pay cash into your Monzo account!

You can pretty much guarantee they won’t rise to the occasion. It’s paypoint a few are good most are just to top up your electric metre and they’ll only let you do it if you buy something in their shop.

The reality is literally everyone knows paypoints a bit crap and always has been. There’s a good reason every other bank uses the post office.

5 Likes

I emailed paypoint regarding my experience.
I got the below reply on the 18th Jan, I’m going to give it a couple of weeks so they have chance to receive and read the letter and then try again and see what happens.

" Thank you for your e-mail to PayPoint.

We have sent a letter of warning to the store in question to ensure this does not continue.

PayPoint do not condone these practices and we apologise for any inconveniences caused.

Kind Regards,

Michael Reich
Fraud Investigator & Customer Experience Executive"

2 Likes

Fraud and CX under the same job title :thinking:

6 Likes

I’ve only used it once for and it was fine for 200£ ,

Personally I would but some pressure on the cashier to swipe my card and type in the full amount, I’m not just going to drive to the next PayPoint.

Once they’ve done it once it shouldn’t be a problem after.

To be fair the only options are PayPoint and Post office, and with PayPoints being open until late at night and being cheaper , that’s probably why they went over the only other option.

1 Like

I don’t think standing there and arguing they swipe my card would of worked.
Out of interest the fact it’s cheaper shouldn’t matter, the cost could still be passed on for a decent provider like the post office.

2 Likes

So, it’s been nearly 3 months now. Is there any sign of upping the 6-month limit so that I can deposit more than £1,000 in my account?

It has been about 10 weeks since launch, so I wouldn’t have thought that there is enough data to make an informed decision from such a short period of time.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I was hoping that they can at least see how many users reached the limit (I did in 4 weeks!).

It’s just frustrating when competitors have unlimited deposits and we have £1k :confused:.

1 Like

Yeah I can imagine in your situation that it would be frustrating. I haven’t seen anyone from Monzo mention anything unfortunately.

I assume you have exhausted all other options of getting paid via bank transfer, Monzo me etc? You could always deposit into a legacy bank and transfer it over too.

1 Like

I do yes. I have a post office nearby but the problem is, the bank I’m with a bank which not only requires a paying in book at the post office but 3 working days for the cash to go in which is very frustrating.

I’d love to go Full Monzo and bin the legacy account but it is impossible until I can pay enough in for cash deposits.

Appreciate they are being careful due to crime, but does that mean Starling are being risky with theres?

1 Like

If you can’t change the way you’re paid, I’d be ditching them and opening an account with Natwest, Santander or some other high street bank purely for depositing cash into and transferring over. 3 days is ridiculous.

2 Likes

I’d go Starling for your situation. You could always transfer it over to your Monzos if need be.

I tried but Starling would t let me open an account and wouldn’t tell me why I was refused.

1 Like

if monzo can’t provide you with a competitive service then you shouldn’t use them. Find a better bank in this case.

3 Likes

I agree, I also feel that if Monzo are wanting customers to go full Monzo they will really need to get this fixed, it should be free to make deposits.

It very rarely will have any impact on me, but I currently have £60 sitting on my kitchen shelf. I’d love to drop it into my account but I won’t.

4 Likes

Well, apart from depositing cash, they can. Being able to deposit more than £1k every six months is a pretty basic bank service to ask for…

4 Likes

I think it’ll forever be an issue(for now) and people will get the advice to use a legacy bank for cash deposits and then transfer across the money to their Monzo account which just becomes a little silly especially as currently you can’t automate this and this has to be done manually

1 Like

I dont think youll ever be able to do this manually?

But i also agree that Monzo may pride itself about being better than other banks in how it does things… with this its firmly in last place :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe when Monzo become profitable, services like this may well become free in the future

1 Like

What I meant more was having a trigger in Monzo’s IFTTT that was " cash" and having the ability to differentiate between cash and salary so that it could go automatically in the relevant pot if you wanted.
Alternatively I wondered if there is something in the Open Banking API that would allow you to do the same from a legacy bank and automatic transfer the money over to Monzo(But I don’t think this is the case).