You can now pay cash into your Monzo account!

(Rika Raybould) #345

Drop in-app chat a quick message, we can almost certainly refund the double fee. :+1:

(Liam) #346

And indeed you did! Thank you. :smile:

(Rich) #347

Just paid cash into my Monzo account. (Xmas Money)
Very straight forward. I don’t mind the £1 charge as it’s not going to be a regular occurrence.
Nice to have the option at the end of the day. :+1:t2::+1:t2::santa:t3::christmas_tree:

Also just paid in my xmas money, quick and easy.
The £1 fee is defo worth it so save all the hassle of heading to the bank.

(Hugh Wells) #349

I believe it actually does :slight_smile: Although, quite how that works I don’t know.

(Brandon Billingham) #350

Tried to pay in cash at a local paypoint yesterday because I was dropping off a parcel, guy had no idea. Said he’d never done it before and didn’t want to try, very disinterested. Went to the post office in the local shop a little further up in the end and deposited with starling, no questions asked just knew what to do.

It does seem a little hit and miss reading here regarding whether or not the person behind the till knows how or even wants to bother trying to do a deposit.

(Brandon Billingham) #351

Also this really needs to be updated.

(Hugh Wells) #352

Thanks, I’ll pass that on :pray:

(Jack) #353

The word “fee” also seems to be missing from the add cash screen (or “a” needs deleting) on Android:

(Hugh Wells) #354

Noted :+1:

PR’d - should be in the next build :tada:

(Jack) #355

I made a few deposits on the 22nd, all worked great. But on my monzo statement these are still showing as “Pending”, should this be the case or is this an error?

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #356

The fix made it into Android 2.29.0 :sunglasses: :smiley:

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #357

I notice that on the PayPoint receipt that there’s a REF at the bottom, beginning PMZ - it’d be cool if this reference number showed up at the bottom of the Cash feed item :smiley:

I’m not sure if it’s possible? But alongside “Cash deposit” (at the bottom of the app screen) having the reference there, in order to match receipts more easily, would be nice :slight_smile:

So 8 shops later not one had any clue how to deposit or what the hell Monzo was or that it was a bank.

With it being a Saturday and the banks shut thought I’d see if I could deposit some cash.

Honestly some of the “wtf dude” looks I got from the cashiers :joy:

Reading the replies here they need to swipe the card and it should come up??

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #360

Hey :wave: Yep, the cashier will need to swipe your Monzo card in order to add cash to your account :sunglasses:

From there the cashier should see the appropriate prompts on their screen to add a denomination of cash to your account :smiley:

Just an update.

Went to my local One Stop the first shop I tried and closest literally round the corner.

They remembered me from earlier and I asked them to humour me and swipe the card.

Card swiped and a beep happened and then a confused look. “It says deposit amount?”

Next thing the 3 girls working in the shop come over to see what the fuss is about.

I pulled out £20 and he entered it and confirmed then the notification came through and I said it’s gone in.

Then I’m being asked by them all what is it? Is it a pre paid credit card? I explained it’s a bank and showed them the app and said look it notified me straight away about this deposit and even a map showing me where.

They couldn’t believe a bank on an app where you deposit cash in a shop but we’re impressed at the same time.

The £1 charge is harsh though but the convenience sort of justified and it.

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #362

Excellent! I’m glad to hear you got it sorted out in the end :sunglasses:

PayPoint have sent out a ‘memo’ of sorts, it covers Monzo cards & what the merchant needs to do when faced with one :slight_smile: So hopefully issues like these are gradually phased out :boom:

People always seem to be impressed with Monzo :joy: The instant notifications are what normally get people (from my experience :yum:) whenever I get chatting to people about Monzo I try to do it where I’m able to pay for something so they can witness the “kerching” as the payment goes through :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The £1 fee will forever be a topic of discussion :thinking: The more you deposit at once, the less painful it seems - £1 for a £20 deposit is 5%! But once you go over £100+ it’s less than 1%… It just depends on how heavily people use cash I suppose :slight_smile:

They were impressed with the app for sure loved the instant notification I got when it deposited.

Also loved the colour of the bank card as well.

Personally being a complete geek I just wanted to see how it works and depositing in my local shop felt pretty cool at the same time instead of going into the bank. I wouldn’t normally do it because of the fee except in high amounts like you said.

Thanks for the replies :blush:

(Brenton Hill) #364

It’s a step in the right direction however personally I don’t think it should be seen as a privilege to deposit money into your bank.

Setting a charge of any kind for this makes it that for me.

Like a lot of people have said, the need to pay in money is pretty infrequent and is usually because of gifts.

Me and my wife got married last year and as such received a lot of cash gifts. It would have been impossible to pay those gifts into our Monzo accounts due to the restrictions and there is no way we would be wanting to pay the fees that would have been incurred.

I love Monzo, huge advocate for them. Have been since the Mondo days. I use my Monzo as my main account and we have a joint account with them as well but it’s reasons like this as to why I still have my NatWest account as a backup.

I’m sure this stuff like this will be ironed out in the coming years and it is at least a step in the right direction :muscle: