Yes! Let's kill noreply@

(knows someone who knows Tom quite well) #1

I hate getting emails from companies who do this - especially customer support emails in which they tell me something that needs a response and then invite me to find a web form buried on their site to respond.

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #2

How about we kill blog posts which require signing into a service (Medium) in order to read?

(knows someone who knows Tom quite well) #3

I don’t think I’ve ever signed in to read on medium. I just checked with a privacy browser and no request to sign in.

What happened?

(Marta) #5

I didn’t have to sign it at all, @j06. :smiley: Here’s screenshot:

To be honest, noreply emails do make sense sometimes. And people sent a lot of crap, we trialed it in my company and it wasn’t pretty… Using ‘noreply’, but putting contact email in body is decent resolution. Any minimally motivated person can copy paste email and reply/forward easily.

(knows someone who knows Tom quite well) #6

as your customer I expect you to make life easy for me, not expect me to jump through hoops.

It’s informative that it’s generally only the difficult emails that have no reply - customer services etc. For some reason, sales are always contactable by email?

(Marta) #7

That’s the opposite of my experience :sweat_smile: , when I contact CS, and they email me back, it’s always contactable email because we need to continue the conversation. :smiley: If any company would reply to my enquiry from ‘noreply’ they would get a lot of grief from me. :wink:

Only ‘noreply’ I get in this flow is sometimes ‘we received your email’ notification, which is automated and only confirms that my email got delivered.

(knows someone who knows Tom quite well) #8

You haven’t dealt with BA customer relations then!

Please DO NOT reply directly to this email by using the ‘reply’ function on your personal email settings, as it WILL NOT be received. If you wish to send us a reply please use the link at the bottom of the email

The link is a link to a webform. Thanks BA.

Easily overcome by using a service such as Zendesk or Desk.com.

Unfortunately, legacy business doesn’t really want to talk to customers once it has the money.

This is why challenger businesses such as Monzo, in banking, are so appealing and exciting.

(Andre Borie) #10

What kind of email were you sending? Maybe the reason you received so much crap is because you sent out too much email in the first place? If you sent less email idiots would have less opportunities to reply back with crap.

(Marta) #11

Nope, it was just users asking Support to do stuff they can easily do on their own (“send me invoice in PDF” - they are available in their account once transaction is complete), or asking for things that were not available at all, or not allowed. Majority was generated by old customers, who thought it’s a new way to get their way. :wink: I can’t disclose much details, but trust me, maybe 1% was legitimate question or problem, and overall, negative responses we had to send were making people unhappy. In terms of emails, they were regular emails sent to users as confirmations, updates etc. We only changed that they can be responded to, rather than be ‘noreply’.

I haven’t dealt with BA, but form isn’t too bad. I’m more offended about caps in the message, but I can sense that many people ignored more polite explanation to only use web form. :wink:

(Andre Borie) #12

they were regular emails sent to users as confirmations, updates etc

I think that’s part of the problem here - if I did something online the last thing I want is a “confirmation” cluttering my inbox. I know a business that only emails occasionally if there’s a major issue or update and they don’t have an issue with crap replies…

(Eve) #13

This is the case for most commercial companies, but govt stuff- the UK Visa team is the absolute worst. Their contact form only allows a puny 400 characters or so, so I have to use the contact form 4 times to fully explain my problem, get a reply through a no reply email, asking me to respond to confirm something or the other, and it’s so inefficient.

I emailed them since August last year and they only gave me a proper response in… February this year. I still don’t have my refund and they keep passing the buck. I’ve given up, they can keep my £600+ :sleepy:

(Andre Borie) #14

If you think the UK gov’t is bad just wait until you see the French one. At least in the UK you do have a contact form. In France they would’ve asked you to send your inquiry via carrier pigeon. :joy:

(Dan Woodhouse) #15

I don’t mean to sound cruel here - but that’s poor customer service.

You should have looked at how you could deal with the issues you were facing, you are making assumptions that it was easy and/or obvious for customers to do what you think it’s easy to do. Instead of supporting them and helping them you blocked them from responding to you and getting the help they obviously required.

You need to look at your workflow and your user experience rather than switching to a no reply model.

(Eve) #16

That difficult? :joy: sure reduces the amount of complaints if people can’t even get the complaint to them!

(Tommy Long) #17

And most modern companies price tags are predicated on self-service complemented by relatively poor customer support. People just aren’t very interested in paying more for customer support that they rarely need.

(Marta) #18

I really can’t go into identifiable specifics, but it was 3 month test done by analytics team, not assumptions :smiley: . We didn’t deprive customers from anything, before the test email to contact support was always in the footer (and not the small print). What we trialed was removing contact email from footer and have ‘contactus@company’ as “From:” email.

This caused undesired outcome of people bombarding support with stuff, which further led to decrease in satisfaction levels, because we were providing information how something can be done, rather than doing it for them. And this was upsetting people, but as a business we were unable to tend to all actions manually, especially for old customers who knew how to do it, they just were hoping we can do it for them.

We returned to noreply@ for all but 2 emails from whole notification scheme, while ‘contact us’ email was put back again in the footer. We returned to usual numbers of emails to contact us @, but comms also went back to mostly genuine problems/questions, a lot less timewasting.

All I’m trying to say is that it was tested in my company and removing ‘noreply@’ approach didn’t work out on multiple levels. I provided an example, where empirical test proved that for my company this wasn’t the right thing to do. We later embedded intercom on our website and chat is by far preferred contact method.

There’s no one solution fits all, and each company should test. I agree that noreply@ is unfriendly and in many cases should be removed, company should man up and do their thing. But if it was tested and it’s genuinely not a good solution, then putting a contactus email in the footer can be next decent solution.

I definitely agree that pointing people to forms and hiding contactus email is bad, but removing noreply@ seems like a populist/sensational trend that started few years ago. People react to this trend enthusiastically, thinking of themselves as customers at all times, while solution might be something else entirely.

(Andre Borie) #19

That’s the same approach used by telecoms providers and similar scammy companies, just don’t provide a way for people to complain and suddenly your complaint rate goes to zero*. :joy:

*side effects may include public opinion of your brand to be awful and your Trust Pilot score to be a disaster

(Dan Woodhouse) #20

If “maybe 1% was legitimate question or problem” isn’t an assumption then what is? All if 1% of replies are legitimate then there’s a much bigger problem than the email address!

(Eve) #21

Wow O2 is awful, my friend hassled them for 2 months before she got a refund (was double charged :neutral_face:). Their customer service is dismal both in stores and online. Wasn’t expecting it to be that bad of a problem though! I used giffgaff for a bit which piggybacks off their network, but I love that I don’t have to speak to someone on the phone about it