Yanny or Laurel?

There’s a pretty interesting twitter thread by linguist Suzy J Styles that gives a bit of insight into what’s causing this confounding speech.

I’m team #Yanny all the way.

I can only hear Laurel.

I thought it might be an age thing, as I also suffer some hearing issues, so I asked my 3 year old with exceptional hearing. She also hear Laurel, with no suggestion from me of any word that she might hear.

I’ve even tried this, to train myself to hear Yanny. At best, I get to ‘Yearly’.

Concentrate on:

If you hear Yanny: the low tone in Yanny. Just concentrate and you will hear Laurel.

If you hear Laurel: the high tone in Laurel. Just concentrate and you will hear Yanny.

At some point you will actually hear both at once.

My eldest can hear both and youngest can hear laurel

Dude that slider is trippy, that’s the first time i’ve ever been able to hear #Laurel.

It was always blue and gold to me (and still is). That never came up as an option though!

That’s creepy. I set it over to right until it was clearly laurel, then when I moved it back it stayed as Laurel until I became distracted writing this post!

And now I’ve got it alternating between the two :stuck_out_tongue:

Laurel. I just can’t ubderstand how another set of ears can hear Yanny! It’s mind boggling! :upside_down_face:

This comment… but the exact opposite! :joy:

2 Likes

I hear ‘yammy’- and Laurel mixed with yammy if I concentrate on the low tones