XBOX Series X

Yeah had been waiting for the Fable rumours to come true for what seems like a while now. Sad we only got the initial initial reveal but presumably we’ll see more in not too long now :crossed_fingers:

Everwild definitely very high up for me. Rare obviously such a good studio, and quality looks incredible already. Just intrigued to know what it actually is…

Yes, Halo looked amazing. I was very happy with 5 multiplayer ngl, felt 4 and 5 just got smoother and smoother to the point of being perfect Halo…sliding, clambering over ledges, etc. Felt like what you should always have been able to do in such a kinetic/not cover based game. To that end, the grappling hook is an amazing addition.

Yeah I have been pleasantly surprised with how long stuff sits on gamepass. I suppose you could always cancel, and then buy later on if it went off gamepass before you stopped playing? Only thing that disappeared as I was playing so far was Doom, but then I realised I’d bought it in a bundle with Wolfenstein 2 a year or so earlier for nothing :tada:

Yes, xCloud too. I’m hoping they have it all sorted out for iOS either at or very close to launch. Will be very jealous of Android if they don’t.

I don’t think I’m gonna buy the new console until Summer 2021. No immediate need to spend the money when it will be on sale a few months later, and don’t have a ton of time anyway so might as well wait a little.

2 Likes

Anyone else got a Pot saving up for this? Just the guessing of the price is slightly annoying. But I think I’m in a good ballpark. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m hoping you’ve got enough already!

Cus Xbox one launched at £430, and Xbox one X for similar right?

1 Like

If I had to have a guess, I’d say the launch price for the console will be around £500. Not that I have any real basis for this thought other than a gut feeling.

1 Like

I’m the biggest Destiny fanboy ever and the xCloud announcement is cool, I love that it’s coming to Game Pass but I’ll still keep my preorder anyway, more support to Bungie and they’ve been doing great things since saying goodbye to Activision, plus I don’t want to lose access when it inevitably leaves Game Pass

1 Like

Yeah I’m hoping so. But you never know. Thought I would go up to the £600 cuz I really don’t think it could be more than that. :see_no_evil:

Xbox One X was £449.99 at launch. (I just checked my Amazon history) :joy:.

And I remember paying around £400 for the Original brick of an Xbox which came with Obi Wan. Which I think I’ve even still got lying around somewhere as I couldn’t trade it in years ago as they didn’t want it. :laughing:

1 Like

To me it was am excellent gamepass event and it looks unbelievable value but this and sony conference hasn’t made me justify the new consoles at launch. In fact Microsoft removing 1 year game pass and live subscriptions has me concerned as I’m not paying the monthly prices for them.

Will be gaming on my X for a least another year and renting my games from boomerang as per usual (thankfully no diskless only versions) as that’s when I drop out of gaming or seriously reduce the amount I play.

P.S. Rumours Fable is an MMO.

1 Like

I’ve got Game Pass Ultimate as I also have a PC and they just converted what I have for Xbox Live and normal Game pass into a one. Which worked out really well tbh. I get the feeling there actually gonna make Xbox Live free so you can play online etc for free. But I reckon the free monthly games will disappear and form part of a Game Pass perk :thinking:

I felt the event overall was quite underwhelming. The stream lagged for the first 20 mins or so and the first 5 or 6 games looked incredibly underwhelming.

It got better towards the end but it didn’t get me as excited as the Sony event did.

Games Pass is incredible value for what you get but I left the event feeling a bit “meh”

There is time before November launch though so I can still be convinced.

I absolutely adore Destiny, and Bungie. They created 2 of my favourite game franchises of all time. I probably love destiny more even than Halo at this point. Especially the first game, I spent so much time in it and got a ton of enjoyment out of it too. Destiny helped me through a particular difficult period of my life, for which I will be forever great full to Bungie for. The lore is some of the most interesting from any gaming franchise too, and the fun play mechanics are second to none.

I’ll likely keep my pre-order too, but if it sticks around for the long term and future expansions come to gamepass I reckon I’ll play those through gamepass. I hope it does stick around and is on gamepass for the long term though, and that other big third party games follow suit. But that’s probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Gamepass is superb value for money, and I hope/want it becomes the future of video game delivery. It allows me to play and try games I never would have otherwise given a chance.

Looks like Apple users will be left out of gamepass for the foreseeable. Very disappointing for me, as an Apple user really looking forward to xCloud.

I’m more often than not in defence of Apple’s walled garden policies, and while I understand why the policies that are preventing services like xCloud from coming to iOS exist (so shady companies can’t later change how their game works, bypassing App Store reviews), I think they need updating to better reflect and allow for services like Stadia, and xCloud, and it’s bogus that that hasn’t happened yet. Right now, the logic behind these rules are just outdated.

This is why it can sometimes appear as if they’re trying to stifle innovation and competition, especially since they have their own game subscription service.

I’ve submitted feedback to Apple about this, and reached out to a couple of friends with some influence at Apple to hopefully spark an internal query. Curious that none of the media outlets appear to have reached out to Apple RE xCloud and Stadia availability.

3 Likes

In complete agreement. Very annoying rn and wonder how long I’ll have to keep my :crossed_fingers: before this happens.

Agreed, I love Xbox and I love Apple, but this is just a disgrace in my opinion and unfortunately it’s not just harmful for Apple but for Xbox too.

iOS will exclude such a vast chunk of Xbox players that I am genuinely shocked that Microsoft and Apple haven’t manage to come to an agreement by now. I’m lost for words.

Like @N26throwaway I normally defend the walled garden of Apple’s software and get behind it, this however I cannot defend at all.

After the Hey debacle and now this, Apple need to revisit their app store guidelines and rules, and do it quickly.

Edit: I read this the other day and it proves deals can be done, but I hope one is done soon: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/30/apple-halved-app-store-fee-amazon-prime-video/

2 Likes

Hugely this. The Hey thing, combined with offering Amazon a superior deal to get Prime Video onto iOS has been quite grim.

The rules clearly aren’t enforced consistently and I’m sure if Microsoft offered them enough they’d let xcloud straight in :mask:

2 Likes

Glad I went with Android instead of Apple. The way Apple take a 30% cut of monies for doing nothing is extortion, pure and simple.

Do Apple users who install the Netflix app have to subscribe to Netflix through the app? Or is Netflix big enough that they can get away with asking people to sign up from their website before they can use it?

I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Google take the same revenue split from Google Play as Apple do from the App Store.

1 Like

That would also be bad. But on the other hand, Google Play has a working Hey app available, with no in-app cut for Google there. So clearly on Android developers have the option of deciding which way to go.

1 Like

Well they’re not exactly “doing nothing”. They do a lot. Whether or not what they do costs enough to justify 30% is not for me to say. At the time 30% was very good value, though we’ve moved on since then, and other app stores have popped up which do undercut it significantly, and in that regard, I agree, it could very well be extortion. Apple do a lot to protect me as a user, from nefarious actors. No other platform that I am aware of, which undercuts them on price, put in place the same level of work to keep their store free from malware, and negative app experiences.

I subscribe through Apple, out of convenience, and so my card details are not being stored with so many different companies. Unless a service offers me value I can’t live without, I’ll usually avoid apps that force you to sign up directly with them outside of iTunes, and instead will seek out alternatives. I’m fairly certain a lot of apps will allow you to subscribe via both methods. Hey is one of the few situations I’m aware of, that were stopped because you need to sign up and pay them directly.

I personally don’t see what’s wrong with allowing people the choice to subscribe via Apple. Choice is good, as a customer. Developers that don’t afford me the choice, won’t get my custom, and is just as anti-competitive as what Apple are being accused of. (Hyperbole of course, neither is actually anti-competitive).

This is all perhaps more suited for another thread anyhow.

And Netflix haven’t been stopped because? :man_shrugging:

Because they comply with the guidelines, so apps like Netflix and other tv and movie and streaming services are allowed. Hey did not, as they’re a different category of app.

Note, I wasn’t defending the guidelines. I think they’re very outdated when it comes to apps providing a service, and need updating to reflect and better support those kinds of apps. Because, as it stands, the type of apps those guidelines were meant to defend against, now has the unwitting effect of impacting the ability for a service provider to launch on the App Store.