WWDC 2021 Discussion

I think the Focus modes will be a really powerful feature across all Apple platforms! I’m reluctant to install any beta profiles at the moment so will wait until mid-August I think but the ability to have different notification settings and different home screens sounds amazing!

3 Likes

I think it’s a consistency thing so the sidebar is the same size in all apps - Files, Pages, Numbers, Keynote etc.

1 Like

Tried out Opera last night on your rec. I love the concept of the FAB personally. Feels like a spiritual sucessor to the radial menus in the OG Android browser and Android Camera app.

Chrome on Android has had a similar swipe (the address bar to go) through tabs feature for years which it’s great to see Apple doing its own version of.

1 Like

Probably because people moan they can’t reach the top on the big phones.

Me. I’m one of those people. I’ve been asking for this for years. Gave up hoping it would ever happen. iOS didn’t desperately need it either with reachability. I don’t like how it’s lead to compacting other important UI elements though.

2 Likes

Having played with iOS a bit more, live text is so good it’s scary. As soon as I open an image, text is already selectable. Seems to struggle with handwriting though. However, I can’t seem to get it to recognise pets or plants – is it not yet available? Has anyone else tried?

Under iCloud settings I get a prompt to upgrade to iCloud+, but I seem to be able to set up email aliases so maybe it already works and that just needs to be removed.

If you’re already paying for iCloud storage, then you get iCloud+

My guess here is you’re probably getting it through Apple One, and on iOS 14, you can buy more storage seperately, in the same tiers it’s ordinarily offered in. So for 79p you get 50GB more than what you get with Apple One.

They probably just dont have an interface yet to accommodate iCloud storage add ons when you’re subscribing through Apple One, so you’re just seeing the generic iCloud+ options.

OK, so finally done the IOS and macOS beta’s as we need to be ready for XCode Cloud at work… And Im impressed that our corporate tooling works OOB including all the Cisco Apps, and Jamf is pulling down the policies and apps without issue (so far).

Shame my MBP’s fan is at full volume for some reason, but it is a test device :slight_smile:

IOS seems to be the same…

This is a big step up from a lot of Apple Betas in the past

1 Like

Could be! I don’t have Apple one and mine is just showing as iCloud+ already.

I also think some people said a reboot fixed it not showing up properly.

1 Like

A reboot fixed it for me :slight_smile:

Looks like Cloud Relay can also use a local area or a wider area, and my local area is within 20miles of my home address…

Sure everyone knows this but every browser on iOS is just safari with a different skin which depending on your preference is a good or bad thing.

1 Like

I think it would be a great thing if it meant they could all access the same extensions and features as native safari!

But I’m not expecting that any time soon 🥲

This is disappointing from Apple:

Several macOS Monterey Features Unavailable on Intel-Based Macs - MacRumors

You need an M1 Mac for the following Mac OS Monterey features, i’d imagine this list will just get longer and longer from here on out

• Portrait Mode blurred backgrounds in FaceTime videos
  • Live Text for copying and pasting, looking up, or translating text within photos
  • An interactive 3D globe of Earth in the Maps app
  • More detailed maps in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London in the Maps app
  • Text-to-speech in more languages, including Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Finnish
  • On-device keyboard dictation that performs all processing completely offline
  • Unlimited keyboard dictation (previously limited to 60 seconds per instance)

All the exclusions except the 2 Maps ones make sense to me.

I’d guess they all rely on the accelerated ML performance from the M1’s Neural Engine.

4 Likes

I thought I saw a similar limit on iOS where certain features need at least am A12.

Turns out the select-text-in-an-image thing isn’t something developers have to explicitly include in their apps.

I’ve just been doing a job where I had a photo of a client’s vehicle and had to reproduce the graphics off it onto a new vehicle. I opened the photo in our project management iPad app, thought I’d try and select the text, and it immediately worked! Copied it, shuffled over to my Mac and pasted it into Adobe Illustrator.

Extremely smooth.

2 Likes

I haven’t installed iOS 15 myself but watching/reading the event highlights, Focus is the thing that interests me most.

Simple feature, but I suspect it will be very useful.

1 Like

Thinking about this more, I’d say it is quite disappointing considering they’re still selling Intel Macs.

They’ve obviously said how they’ll be supporting these machines for years to come, but to see the support be so bifurcated so so soon isn’t great.

Glad I waited an age to upgrade straight to M1 and not the latter Intel machines.

1 Like

One of the things I liked from WWDC is the announcement of iCloud Keychain verification codes which are coming to iOS 15.

I noticed though that Apple are starting to make moves to a future without passwords :pray:. They posted a developer video about it. I am not a developer and there was stuff I didn’t understand, but still found it very interesting.

3 Likes

That was an interesting watch!

I for one can’t wait for the end of passwords but I can’t help point out that only allowing logins from an Apple device is not a great way to do things? It is only a preview after all. But you need to be able to sign into any account on any device using a trusted device.

Microsoft’s approach is pretty good with their accounts, it generates a push notification to the app on the trusted device to authorise the login. But this relies on an internet connection.

Hopefully, now Apple are on board with a passwordless future, adoption will accelerate.