WWDC 2018, iOS 12, macOS 10.14

Idk if it’s different on newer watches but thought the diagnostic port on my series 0 was under the strap joint?

Another frustration I forgot to mention: Apple don’t take into account rest days when determining if our goals are met for a day :disappointed: When I was doing more cardio (which I’ll probably go back to at some point) my move goal was very high, which meant I couldn’t meet that on a rest day. I know we can change the move goal each day (i.e. we can change it on each rest day), but that kind of feels like cheating to me and I could do without the manual step and having to remember to change it.

2 Likes

I might have to consider Fitbit for sleep tracking. Sleep Cycle have recently released an Apple Watch app, so I might try that first. Having a sleep ring on the Activity Rings would be so cool to me though; I’ll try to find the mockup I saw that did that.

1 Like

Yeah it’s the same for the newer watches.

Theres a small amount of glue that has to be removed and reset carefully too (to keep it water resistant). The main reason it’s sent away as far as I understand it, is because of a lack of special “docks” that the watch has to sit on to be restored. I guess it’s easier for them to keep them in one place (the repair centre) and send the watch away.

I went for it and installed WatchOS 5 last night, I’m happy to say it went smoothly. Glad I hadn’t read that report beforehand. Though I’ve not seen any issues reported on Reddit, where they normally show up quickly if there is a big issue.

1 Like

In just 2 years…

I messed up my Apple Watch, Series 0, installing a watchOS beta a few years back. I lost the watch for a month and when I found it the watch wouldn’t connect to my iPhone or activate when I tried to reset it. It just got stuck in a loop.

You can buy third party accessories, which I did and used to successfully restore my Apple Watch but they are expensive. Its can be hard to get hold of a restore file too as Apple doesn’t offer them to devs like with the iPhone. Here is the tool I use to connect my Apple Watch to iTunes through the diagnostic port.

1 Like

Whilst I see your point, and think it’s crazy to spend that kind of dosh on an Apple watch… I don’t think the people who buy $10,000 Apple Watches care too much.

They probably replaced it a few months after buying it with a different one anyway!

1 Like

Has anyone who is on iOS 12 had problems trying to update apps from the app store? Doesn’t seem to do anything for me

The App Store progress spinners don’t work, but the apps do update. Restarting the App Store updates the progress.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give that a try.

Also was just in a facetime call and used the animojis they’re quite fun :joy: but after that call my phone is extremely hot, never usually is after a facetime call but I guess it’s expected from a beta

My iPhone 7 always gets quite warm after ft. Especially if I go into other apps during the call. :man_shrugging:t3:

I’m so pleased that they’re finally bringing back grouped notifications :raised_hands:t3: Baffles me why they got rid of that a while ago.

2 Likes

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

How are people finding iOS12?

I have an old developers account (expired) - I don’t fancy paying the £79 to renew it - Can I still download iOS12 beta?

Yes, you can.

It’s not too bad for first beta. Watch OS 5 on the other hand is pretty ropey!

When will there be a public beta?

Just how buggy is this beta? Usable as a daily driver?

It’s usually towards the end of the month.

I think I’ll probably wait for that to be honest!

1 Like

In my official opinion, never run betas on your daily driver.

In my personal opinion, this is the single most stable Beta 1 of any major iOS release yet.

There are a few minor things where some UI will misbehave or some 3rd party apps will exhibit weird behaviour but that’s fairly standard until apps update themselves for the new OS.

5 Likes