Working from Home

Totally agree. The insinuation seems to be we aren’t working from home so we should work a whole day for free. Nah.

All the jobs I’m getting sent on LinkedIn at the mo have a real focus on flexibility and WFH so I’m hoping it’s a pattern that sticks.

2 Likes

i do compressed hours so im on a 4 day week as it is wfh and my paygrade is being regraded aparently thats not a quick fix but it looks like i will be going up a grade or 2 and ain increase of 3k at least with that so alls good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t. You’re not paid for your commute now. You’re paid from when you start to finish, so if you’re expected to work the same number of hours you should be paid the same. The commute is irrelevant.

If I move closer to my workplace my commute might cost less but I am paid the same. I could walk to work, should I get paid less? Not at all.

Maybe I should move further away and ask for more money to cover it?

Working from home shouldn’t be some privilege for those who can afford it. If a company can offer it, they should but to no financial benefit.

3 Likes

For the pay they are getting even 20% less would be worth it, if it was another lower paid job I’d be like no thank you

I’d love an office near the North East as they have Wales and the south covered by London.

Plenty of northern and Scottish folks would love an office trip at least once a month surely :joy:

String “this is disgraceful” from me. If the work I am doing is valued at a certain amount, it doesn’t reduce in value because I work at a different location. Nor is any of the salary defined as “commuting costs” (London weighting aside). It’s nothing more than a shitty way of trying to screw the workforce out of their rightful value.

Don’t forget also, that whatever the claimed reduction in salty is, the actual reduction will end up being even higher in real terms.

8 Likes

Holy shit, I’d quit even faster with that offer than if I was ordered back to the office full time.

No WFH at all is a policy I happen to disagree with. WFH full time for 80% pay is just straight up disrespectful.

2 Likes

Plenty disagree with this. The question is whether you are equally as effective working at a different location, and many employers do not think think this is the case for their employees. Some employees will quit and join other firms if they are forced into the office, but ultimately the market will determine what the new normal is, and I’m not sure anyone knows for certain what that is at the moment.

Read the BBC News article @Revels linked to. It quite explicitly states that the 20% cut is because of commuting costs and not because they consider the employees to be less effective.

While one would hope the market determines that such cuts should get in the sea, I’m concerned that instead the situation will be that people who don’t know their own worth end up being taken advantage of. “Oh, valued employees who know your worth? We will kick you into the long grass and hire naive university leavers instead.”

The race to the bottom is always bad, and is even more so now when the cost of living is spiralling astronomically thanks to the catastrophic act of self-harm that is Brexit.

2 Likes

I Uber into the office once every two weeks now. Depending on how much work, I might stay overnight at the local Premier Inn. Even with all this considered, it’s still flipping cheaper than bus and train to where I work. With Curve, I also get cashback on the Uber bookings. Bus and train costs are going through the roof at the moment, and commuting is just not fun.

I do need to go into the office to maintain the networking kit and other bits and bobs, and to address any employee laptop issues - so full time home working isn’t an option for me - but I find that I’ve missed working in the office after coming back after 2 years away from it. While I’ve been working from home, I’ve spent a small fortune on a new monitor, two new computers (BOYD for the win - one Mac, one PC) and countless other things - some of which was reclaimable through tax incentives, the rest from what I would have spent on commuting.

Haven’t had a salary cut relating to hybrid working, though I used to be paid a retainer for on-call which is no longer required (a blessing AND a curse), so that has seen my salary drop a little (but then a pay raise fixed most of that problem).

1 Like

We’re now in two days a week.

The official line is that we have a collaboration culture which needs in person interaction to succeed.

In reality, days in the office are spent on video calls with those that are WFH.

We have such a long way to go to figure out effective ways of hybrid working.

The same people who dismiss WFH don’t see that making the most of the office also doesn’t just happen magically.

4 Likes

This is so typical of management trained by being forced to watch reruns of The Apprentice. It would be hilarious in an episode of The Office, too.

3 Likes

I can’t be the only one that has had a teams call with someone, because that’s second nature now, only to realise we were both in same building!

5 Likes

Or even on the next bank of desks

1 Like

Yeah a few times, at which point you can hang up, and go and have a proper face to face conversation. It’s great.

One of the best(!) real-life (not The Office, not The Apprentice) ‘corporate’ WTF moments I experienced was when a middle-manager called a meeting to discuss how to reduce the number of meetings.

Outstanding.

7 Likes

We’ve had meetings to discuss why the deadline wasn’t been met. Followed by daily followup meetings to make sure we were all working.

Management didn’t get the irony.

6 Likes

In my days as an IT incident manager, asked to attend a meeting to discuss why something wasn’t working… “I can fix the service, or I can sit and talk about why it isn’t working. Which would you prefer?”

6 Likes

Leeds office when? You can hire myself and the friend as an apprentice COPs group ;). Following compliance to a T obviously.