Working from Home

So this is the first week working at home and loving it. No interruptions, no horrible commute, an hour extra in bed in the mornings and I can actually see my kid in the week rather than just bedtime.

Each month this goes on will be saving about £400+ in petrol too. Hopefully I can keep doing it after things return to normal as I fancy an extra £5k not spent on fuel each year.

6 Likes

So this morning I was logged on straight away and had a stable collection, IT lot have managed to sort the capacity issue out, well spoke to BT and prob sent then some more cash :rofl::ok_hand:

1 Like

What I think is going to be interesting is when this is all over and people are able to go back into the office, how many don’t want to and how many can make a logical case as to why working from home is perfectly fine.

At the moment certainly where I work, the odd day is fine, I’ve done it when I’ve needed to be at home for a big parcel delivery or to take the car somewhere etc. But most of the time I’m in the office after a long commute and then a long commute home again. If I asked to work from home permanently the answer would be no, you’re needed in the office for this/that/the other.

But soon when I’ve been working from home successfully for a , it’s much harder for them to argue that I can’t do it. I certainly think a lot more people will be doing a few WFH days a week.

3 Likes

Yes we’re doing the same- I’m finding it really helpful :grinning:

It’s that archaic office mentality that doesn’t help, hopefully this will push more people into working from home without as much resistance. We can work from home but it can be frowned upon by certain business areas, mainly the ones who have to be in an office due to the type of work they do, customers visiting etc etc

I’m struggling without my 2 big-ish monitors, we have the option to work in the office every other week but I work in the middle of nowhere and don’t drive.

2 Likes

Ha I wish it was that easy

I don’t like working from home, do people not like the bit of social during breaks , instead of staring down the road.

1 Like

No I don’t like people 🤷:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I definitely do. But I also like the peace, no commute and the fact I can easily do washing/cleaning during the day and it opens up my weekend!

1 Like

Some useful advice for anyone suddenly locked in with housemates or partners:

Currently, Cheryl is using up all the coffee and not wwashing out the french press. Outrage.

4 Likes

I’m a private tutor and pretty proud of my skype set-up. I have two accounts - one pointed at me, and one directly at the table (I use a phone mount on a bendy neck to achieve this). I can use my iPad, paper or a textbook in conjunction with the table camera. The only downside is that my students don’t have the same set up, so they have to read their work out to me. Oh, and the fact that they’ve all just had their exams cancelled so no-one knows if there’s any point in having lessons anymore (myself included) :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Everyone else in my company is working from home apart from me who’s braving it from the office, if nobody else is in then as far as i’m concerned there’s no extra risk involved for me and I have a 2 year old at home who thinks laptops are toys so working from home will be a pain.

I’m sure a day will come where I have to go remote but I hope to be a loner in the office for a little while yet.

So you can do this right?

3 Likes

Unfortunately not, everyone apart form me works on large screen iMacs and have literally all taken them home :frowning:

1 Like

I already keep asking myself what day it is :joy:

Hahaha I’m glad it’s not just me. I just keep saying I’m on Day 3

I see this in my future…

3 Likes

The beginning of week 3, how is everyone getting on at home?

I had this week booked off anyways, can’t do anything at all 🤦🤣

Week 3?!?!

I don’t have a clue what day it is never mind how long it has been :rofl: :sob:

1 Like

I’ve been learning to say “No” a lot. No, I’m not doing multiple conference calls a day. No, I’m not going to leave the house to do this that or the other. No, that thing really isn’t important now, lets just concentrate on this other thing instead. No, my skills don’t extend to me being redeployed in that other role. No, I’m not going to apologise for not replying to your email of two days ago when I was on leave. Yes, I know I was home anyway, but no, I’m still not going to check when I’m not working. No, I absolutely will not join your company WhatsApp group (and you’re lucky I’m not reporting you to our Information Officer for breaching the DPA).

A lot of 'no’s means that I can get on with doing the parts of my job that actually still work and are helpful.

Not missing breaks for gossiping. I find I can use by breaks to catch up on recorded TV programmes instead, much more fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes