Will Monzo Continue To Offer Free ATM Withdrawals Outside the UK?

Thanks for the actual figures, Tom, interesting. Are the ATM fees charged to Monzo per withdrawal, or a percentage of the amount (maybe some of the contributors here with banking experience already know this)?

We have an Italian Bank (MONTE DEI PASCHI DI SIENA SPA).

Will I be able to transfer GBP directly into our bank using my Monzo card?

Or will I need to use it at an ATM to get Euros and put them in over the counter?

Appreciate any help and ideas.

When the current accounts launch, there will be a TransferWise integration so you should be able to use that to transfer funds from Monzo to your Italian account.

Iā€™ve already used TransferWise to transfer funds from Monzo to my euro bank (Bunq). Very easy via the TransferWise app. I wonder what benefits weā€™ll get when they integrate with Monzo current accounts. Preferential fees?

2 Likes

Thanks Alex. So I presume that as I will be doing this next week at our bank in Italy it would be best to get Euros from an ATM and han those over the counter?

1 Like

Yes, youā€™ll need to do that for now Iā€™m afraid. I expect that you could withdraw the cash in England & get your bank to convert it to Euros when you pay it in but they probably wonā€™t give you such a good exchange rate :wink:

Thanks Alex. As this will be the first time Iā€™ll be using Monzo in an Italian ATM, are there any tips?

Iā€™ve used Monzo at Italian bank ATMs. No fees and a great exchange rate :grin:

1 Like

There are, from other users :slight_smile:

The ATM section in the wiki isnā€™t very detailed yet though so it would be great if you could add some more info, once youā€™ve used them :wink:

May be overlooked by most but always go for the local rate (Euros) and not the card rate (GBP).

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the thoughts of Revolutā€™s Head of Communications on this -

for what itā€™s worth, I think heā€™s probably right but to put that in context for the newer users, he does have a vested interest in saying that, as Revolut have a fair useage policy already.

1 Like

The best way would be to have fee-free EU and UK withdrawals. Then have a limit for countries outside of the EU that are free and charge above that, maybe at cost? You could also maybe arrange some agreements in certain popular destinations to cater to the public who are attracted to the fee-free concept. If you start charging then you essentially just have a card that has instant payment notifications, and I donā€™t think it will be very easy to drive more user growth when thatā€™s all the card will remain to be.

4 Likes

The oldest bank in the world meets the newest in the UK. Cool.

(Though how long it will actually be a solvent bank, who knowsā€¦) :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t mind paying a fee to get cash out overseas (would like a lower fee in the EU though) but it would probably change my spending habits eg taking cash out in bulk, using card more often instead of at ATM. This will not be applied to overseas purchases in stores, right?

No it wonā€™t (from the expanded quote in the OP) -

If I had to pay for foreign cash withdrawals Iā€™d stop using my Monzo card for them. Frankly Iā€™d prefer to spend everything on card, but when you are in a cash based country you often donā€™t have that option.

When I go abroad, Iā€™m able to use 2gb of my 12gb data allowance in a large number of countries without any additional charges. Perhaps a similar ā€œallowanceā€ for non-EU cash withdrawals could be made for customers, with 1% fees or similar levied above that.

As long as Monzo make it clear itā€™s designed to cover their costs it seems reasonable, it will still be competitive compared to most banks who charge higher margins to gain profit on their customersā€™ trips.

5 Likes

Undoubtedly what Iā€™m about to say will draw criticism from some factions of this community but here goesā€¦

Quite frankly when you launch the Monzo current account I wouldnā€™t mind paying Ā£10 a month to use Monzo. I do the same for Natwest and canā€™t even remember the last time I used some of the benefits. Iā€™d pay it to Monzo for no additional benefits because I, like the majority of people in the country, are sick and tired of the traditional banks. Iā€™d do it even if it was a voluntary fee. It doesnā€™t take a rocket scientist to work out Monzo is already light years ahead of existing banks and itā€™s my belief that the real innovation hasnā€™t started yet and wonā€™t until after the current account launch. So if paying Ā£10 a month so that Monzo can keep existing ATM withdrawals and perhaps accelerate their roll out plansā€¦ then tell me where to send my money

2 Likes

Iā€™m not going to critise your suggestion I just think that would be a little excessive. I have a legacy bank where I pay just over Ā£15 but I do use all of these add ons - car breakdown, taste card etc.
Iā€™m impressed by monzo and itā€™s very good to see a transaction come up on your phone before it tells you to remove your card on the POS.
If ATM in U.K. & Europe remained free then could there be a package to use in either different countries or collectively outside EU.
I donā€™t think some will pay Ā£5 in Asia but if these customers are not big users back in U.K. Then is Monzo going to actively want them?
Iā€™m was thinking Ā£2 per ATM transaction- not the full cost but nearly meets halfway?
I may be wrong but from my short time on this forum the typical monzo customer probably wonā€™t make Monzo enough money through overdrafts when they start.

1 Like

Ā£4.95 a month may be reasonable but over that I would think twice

1 Like