Wiki: Bank Logos In Monzo

Yeah i would call that like alot of monzo features… half baked.

Something that would seemingly take very little to finish up and add the remaining codes has been ignored for id say a year plus maybe?

One of my real pet peeves

5 Likes

But HSBC, First Direct, and M&S Bank are all really HSBC UK bank. Whenever I do current account switch, or transfers, they all come up as HSBC in all the letterheads everywhere. Although they have separate sort code groups, card prefixes, etc they are really the same bank. Think of them as just different account names Advance, Premier, First, M&S, John Lewis credit card. Rather than actually separate banks. Kind of HSBC’s fault really for not setting this up properly. Weirdly HSBC/FD share fscs protection authorisation, whilst m&s has a stand alone one.

Do you expect separate logos for monzo personal, joint, plus, business lite, business pro accounts?! In all other banks when displaying logos?! Or are all of those accounts just Monzo Bank?!

No, but I do expect different logos for First Direct and M&S bank. These are banking brands with distinct sort codes not types of current account.

12 Likes

To be fair, is there an official list somewhere displaying the separate brands the sort codes are allocated to, or are they all allocated to HSBC? Because if that’s the case even though it looks like different sort codes are being used for the different brands now it doesn’t mean this can’t change for some obscure technical reason only HSBC knows. Let’s say they run out of account numbers and start handing out account numbers from the main HSBC sort code to First Direct customers.

1 Like

OK, so following your logic, we don’t get logos for NatWest, Halifax or Bank of Scotland then?

1 Like

Should we be reporting the lack of logo as a bug?

Technically it is one, the lookup isnt working as expected? :man_shrugging:

We don’t know what’s “expected” within the programme requirements so would be hard pushed to make that stick.

Don’t know if i agree with that logic.

Take my own list of accounts under my own contact 4 out of 6 have a logo.

Surely to have a logo is whats expected?

@AlanDoe or @nexusmaniac maybe this is something you could inquire about perhaps?

No, it’s more likely to be something like “Where a logo is identified in the data table, the correct logo will be displayed”. Otherwise you’re putting a software requirement on staff to keep the table updated which would be a no, no.

1 Like

This topic covers the missing logos, so by all means add a vote:

It’s been a year since I created that. Who knew the bank logos would be updated even more slowly than merchant data? :joy:

But surely a design decision was made when this screen was first concocted that having the logos was a nice touch and worth the effort.

If it wasnt going to be mantained then thats horrible planning by monzo and the design team.

Lets face it this shouldnt have to be updated very often should they

3 Likes

Yeah ive also mentioned a few times on that thread it would be nice if someone could add a few.

@Feathers maybe you could move all our comments over to that thread?

Hate to derail the starling thread further on missing logos

I suspect the reality of this is that some centrally published table somewhere is used to define the bank name (which is why FD and HSBC aren’t differentiated, for example) and the logos aren’t on a maintenance cycle anywhere.

Of course, if it is a Monzo sourced list then I’d scrap my first comment and allocate the maintenance comment to this as well.

I’d go as far as to wonder if there is a formal maintenance policy for this sort of data. You don’t exactly expect it to chnage on a weekly basis. I’d still not call it a ‘bug’ though since we’re talking about people rather than software but I guess an update process can be ‘bugged’ as well as a piece of software.

Not sure why that would surprise anyone to be honest.

The following few posts have been transplanted from the Starling bank feed back thread…

Thats it i guess all we can do is speculate until its clarified if this is sourced from monzo held data or otherwise.

Hence why i “@ed” Alan and Marcus in the hope they could shed some light on this.

Which logos are you missing? :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t speak for everyone but I would imagine in an ideal world we’d have a logo for every UK bank :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But, as with most things, that’s easier said than done :innocent:

And likely isn’t at the top of our list as there’s no harm in having a ‘generic’ bank icon for those banks lacking an official logo :hot_coral_heart:

Merchant data is a server side mechanic which all COps can interact with (within reason) :ok_hand:

Bank logos are part of the app, reducing the amount of people who can add, remove & change these to our lovely (busy :wink:) engineers :smiley:

6 Likes

Hi marcus…

These are all missing as well as Marcus (goldman savings not you lol)

Im sure some others could maybe add a few others :smiley:

Thanks for the speedy reply and explanation

1 Like

Dozens as well :pray:t3:

Let’s create a wiki so we can have a master list… I’ll do that quickly now!

Edit: done! Use the first post in this topic to jump in and edit! To edit, tap / click the pencil icon.

2 Likes