Why do you use cash?

There’s always charity boxes. You might find it better value than ‘crap I wouldn’t usually buy.’

1 Like

Many small businesses are cash only as their customers still want that option. Is the business said ‘no cash’ they would lose a large portion of their customer base, many of whom are not well off, probably get paid ‘cash in hand’ for jobs here and there, and prefer to deal in cash as it’s more visible to them.

I think we may be losing sight of the vast number of people who don’t have bank accounts and only have access to cash, they still need a way to live life, no?

1 Like

Because the business I’m In doesn’t accept card

1 Like

Sure, but honestly even my end of month pennies are better being saved for myself right now. With cash not being the easiest to put into Monzo I prefer to not handle it and have it all done digitally.

I’m one of those pesky, low paid, paycheck-to-paycheck existing, low/no savings millennials you hear so much of*

*I don’t like avocados though

And you call yourself a millennial? Surely this statement will get you thrown out of the club!

1 Like

I love cash, I like cash in my wallet, feel naked without it… :heart_eyes: Have no problem with it. :money_with_wings:

Why do small business’s like cash? To hide it from the tax man! If we become cashless the government would take a lot more money.

That’s undoubtedly true. But you said you spend it on crap.

I try not to use cash, but some venues still have an unreasonable minimum card-spend policy :-1:. Fabric’s (in London) is £15 - which is just ridiculous, and makes me feel they’re just trying to get their customers to buy more. I bet them handling cash actually costs them more when all things are considered.

My favourite drinking hole is cash only - and is now the only place I have to use it. I do, however, keep a little cash in my wallet just in case… R-

Every month I get a tenner out to pay the barber (cash only).
Also I keep a pound coin in my gym bag for the locker…
That’s the only cash I have used for… Wow, probably over a year?!!

You could use a trolley pound and then you’d be half way closer to being totally cashless :tada: :laughing:

1 Like

Same as most, it’s just the barber and occasional market purchases for me.

I generally have a small note in my bag just in case I fancy something when travelling and a corner shop only accepts cash.

I don’t believe there is anything I need cash for these days.
My local shop knows me well enough now that they allow me to buy things with no minimum. Everywhere else I go takes card.

I keep a couple of £5 notes in my wallet and some coins in my travel bag.

Very occasionally, I’ll end up somewhere that doesn’t accept card or where a card machine has become disconnected. Especially local model railway exhibitions, arcades, or on a bus somewhere.

Subs for my weekly five-a-side game and paying on the turnstiles at the football. And for a night out if I just want to burn through a certain amount of money on drinks, food, cabs, etc.

The only time I pay cash is when someone doesn’t take digital payments. For me this usually parking (apps exist, and I do use them, but boy are they annoying and usually have a “convenience” fee for the privilege); play groups (usually an honesty box by the door) and our cleaner.

I have a lodger who pays the rent in cash. This is my main spending money so mostly, I spend in cash.

I am having a lot of work done on my house atm and I generally pay in cash for that too.

I’m more inclined to tip barbers if I’m paying cash. Perhaps others are the same and that informs their decision.

If I used cash. Which I don’t. Because I would rather save it than spend it on crap.

1 Like

You’ve just reminded me of those places who ask for tips when paying by card :grimacing: :angry:

1 Like