Why Do I Need An Engineer

Hi.

I have just moved into my new property and am currently using the previous tenants ADSL2+ line until the 18th at which point BT ( my ISP ) will transfer me over to my Infinity 2 line. So im gueesing i have an active/working line.

I received a text message saying that there’s an " appointment booked " for the 18th in the morning.
So i asked someone from BT and said, the engineer " may " need to " check my sockets " ?

When i had infinity transferred at my old house it was all done on the cabinet.

Anyone with any knowledge tell me why i’d need to have an engineer round ? Will be a right pain if I have to move my huge TV just so they can " check " the master socket.

Attached is a picture of which NTE5 socket i have…new_setup_3

I don’t think they will need to check the socket.

If I’m understanding correctly, the engineer will need to feed the new fibre optic cable through the wall and along any internal wall to the location in which you would like your hub?

You may never see the engineer they will need to do work on your cabinet but might not need to do anything in your house. They may pop up to check it’s working or phone you to confirm it’s a successful installation. Booking in the slot means there’s time for them to correct any faults that may occur and close them down there and then.

Openreach will know exactly what work they need to do for the product you’ve ordered

4 Likes

It’s just the same phone line as ever, branded ‘fibre’. There are real fibre installations but that’s not what appears to be being talked about here.

They don’t even install decent quality faceplate filters any more… however if the line is sufficiently old they may run a new one esp. if it has a history of problems - they did that at this place when we moved in.

2 Likes

As @glasgow has pointed out, BT VDSL (aka Infinity 2) is now majority self-install which means an Openreach engineer will complete the jumpering between the fibre ports in the DSLAM and the PCP, and potentially any work on frames at the exchange. You’ll then be left to connect up the Smart Hub/router yourself.

You won’t get an engineer visiting your house unless when testing the line they’ve found a potential issue. Although some other CPs may insist on a visit, and the early days of FTTC used to mean a visit was essential to fit a seperate VDSL modem (this is now built into the Smart Hub and most other CP’s routers).

The NTE you’ve posted above is an absolute must (in my opinion), the performance compared to micro filters is substantially better :zap:

4 Likes

Yeah im currently getting 18mb down sync on the ADSL 2+ line which is good right ?

Yeap that is good! I’m guessing you’re no more than 2km(ish) from your exchange? If you know where it is of course!

3 Likes

I was on an exchange only line and when FTTC came to our area, Openreach re routed all the lines to two new cabs directly outside the telephone exchange.

In all honestly I suspected they’d have skipped us as they have done in some communities. We were the last on the exchange to get it.

Apparently FTTC equipment can’t be housed within the exchange due to interference :man_shrugging:t3:. Also I guess there’s the point of we weren’t on a cab to get fibre to the cab :face_with_monocle:.

Thats what i thought regarding proximity to the exchange. Yeah im right in the middle of town pretty much

Yeah I used to be in an EO line as well and it was horrendous as you say no FTTC

I think they’ve largely been eradicated in Scotland now thankfully

2 Likes

Nah there’s a more boring reason behind it than that unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue:

Openreach have split exchanges into ‘parent’ and ‘child’ exchanges. Essentially, if you’re on a newer service (FTTC/P), the equipment powering that comes from the parent and bypasses the child completely. The view in years to come is as legacy services (PSTN and so on) are retired, child exchanges will no longer be required. So standing a new cab/DSLAM in a child exchange (which is probably what your local exchange is, in your case) doesn’t make sense from a business perspective. It makes more sense to intercept the EO cable/line outside the exchange in public land and stand a new cab there.

3 Likes

I’m so glad I have FTTP now although still major lack of ISPs on FTTP :frowning:

4 Likes

That makes sense. My local exchange only a few hundred meters away serves just under 2,000 premises according to Sam Knows

I imagine not big at all with those numbers.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, it’s the future. Unfortunately the wholesale cost of building it still needs to come down significantly to make it a viable investment for companies building it and then those selling it. As you say, not many ISPs/CPs around at the moment.

2 Likes

Some exchanges in Scotland are literally sheds that are serving 1-10 houses :smiley: You’d be surprised!

3 Likes

Yeah even with openreachs recent price reduction offer it’s still very expensive for the budget ISPs to support.

My dads is one of these exchanges it’s just a tiny wee shed in the middle of a field

3 Likes

I’ve seen some of those driving further up into Wales :smile:

2 Likes

What speed does he get?

I know some areas like that are still on ADSL or ADSL2+ last time I checked.

Cool :smiley: When you’re sorted with your FTTC, it’s the distance from the DSLAM (green cab) that’ll matter then, rather than the full line length to the exchange. But given you’re getting those speeds on ADSL full line length, you should be getting the top end speeds of what BT has quoted you for VDSL.

2 Likes

I’m desperately waiting for it myself, although I think I’ll be waiting a while :joy: I shouldn’t complain too much, lucky enough to get top speeds on FTTC at least.

2 Likes