Who gets their salary paid into Monzo?

Those who get their salary paid into Monzo:
What time do you get your incoming salary notifications?

At around 6am on payday.

1 Like

Mines about 2am

2 Likes

Mine is also 2am

2 Likes

Mine was 1am last time I noticed, a month or two back. I only paid attention as I was still awake and I thought it was due at 2am.

Inbound direct credits should be 1am.

Outbound direct debits are 2am.

5 Likes

What happens to inbound/outbound if there is an issue either end?

• inbound doesn’t happen at 1am, is it attempted later?
  • outbound insufficient funds due to inbound issue, is that attempted later?

Yep, no issues - all good

Mine is 1am

I’ve never ever had an issue on inbound at 1am so far.

This is all processed the day before and queued up, in essence, to be applied to accounts on the correct day.

We don’t currently retry outbound direct debits.

2 Likes

Sorry, what are the direct debit shortcomings you mention?

I currently only use Monzo for my “spending money” each month so haven’t yet tried the direct debit functionality.

Direct debits are attempted only once at 2am and if you don’t have enough money at that time they get declined where as most other banks allow you to put money in by a certain cutoff time (4pm?) to retry them.

2 Likes

It’s just really basic, I get notifications the day before if not enough money, but only for one direct debit, so if I have 2 on same day, it fails to mention this to me.

Plus no way to see which direct debits have been requested, when last paid, how much last paid. Nothing… literally only get option to cancel.

I have missed a few direct debits now and had fines. I find the account is working against me in this sense in every way.

I really like my monzo account, just wish this was so much better

4 Likes

Because of this I’ve had to rearrange some of my direct debits to earlier in the month when I have more money. My only issue now is remembering to move money from my pot in time…

1 Like

Just got my salary paid into my account 30 minutes ago. It would have usually been due on Good Friday, but because that’s a bank holiday, I was expecting it over night tonight. In reality, there it is pretty much 12 hours earlier than I’d expect.

Amazing, really. I’m not entirely sure Monzo is to thank for it, or whether it would have happened with my old bank, but in 14 years of work, I’ve never received my salary at 3pm in the afternoon before (and believe me, back when I was earning next to nothing, sometimes I would be checking, just in case!).

2 Likes

Amazing, really. I’m not entirely sure Monzo is to thank for it, or whether it would have happened with my old bank, but in 14 years of work, I’ve never received my salary at 3pm in the afternoon before (and believe me, back when I was earning next to nothing, sometimes I would be checking, just in case!).

It would’ve been a Faster Payment if it arrived right now (batch-based payments such as BACS Direct Credits are handled at night around 1am), so there’s a good chance you would’ve received it as well with a legacy bank - you would not have been notified of it though with the legacy route.

2 Likes

Not sure why they’re doing it like that, but fair enough. Maybe because of the upcoming bank holiday. That said, I’m pretty sure I received a notification last month at about midnight. Maybe that was Faster Payments too.

Just had my salary paid in, first time. Was nervous that something would go Pete Tong as I received notifications of standing orders going out. Woke up to find a notification that salary had gone in at 1am, all standing orders went out at 3.07am. Seemless and like magic. I even sent a payment out without a reference, totally my fault for not entering it, and Monzo are looking into it for me. Well done Monzo, glad I made the switch, to be fair TSB’s continued falling over prompted this, but as happy as a pig in mud.

5 Likes

Sounds like your work need to update their BIN file (relates to updating the list of sort codes/banking details)
Would have a word with payroll if I were you

1 Like

The BIN database is a list of 6 digit bank card prefixes.

It would be their Sort Code database.

They are supposed under BACS rules to keep this updated every month, it is amazing how many don’t :frowning:

1 Like