When is Monzo available in the US?

I hope you’re right!

1 Like

https://www.bai.org/banking-strategies/article-detail/us-neo-banks-a-digital-revolution-and-its-roadblocks - some interesting analysis on the US neo-banking market

2 Likes

I’m suprised no one has come worldwide, and I mean fully worldwide, services that were worldwide were sanctioned to only EEA area, and I’m guessing it’s because of sanctions or because of moneylaundering.

Yep, ain’t that the truth :face_with_raised_eyebrow:?

2 Likes

Do you mean operate in every single country?

Probably more to do with the amount of regulators you’d have to go through to get licenses in every country and the amount of different payment systems you’d have to integrate with. Wouldn’t be cost effective

1 Like
10 Likes

Hopefully, i just hope it goes off without any hitch. They started off well and should be in a better position to expand :grin:

1 Like

Hopefully they can take the experience from the uk rollout and apply it to the us in the same way without haemorrhaging money.

There is alot to do still in the u.k to become profitable so lets hope thats achieved before they make a good go at the u.s

Hmm very light on facts there but @sohear is usually right on the money. (It’s not what you know it’s who you know).

This is very exciting news. Really huge in fact. There’s a seismic difference between talking about maybe doing something one day and actually amassing your troops on the border.

First it was “but will anyone want a prepaid card?”, then it was “but will anyone want to convert to a full current account?”, then it was “but can they convince anyone to move their day to day banking to them?”, then “but how will they become profitable when each user costs £60?”.

They’ve answered a lot of tricky questions but now there is the trickiest question of all - “will the rest of the world care about Monzo?”

8 Likes

Thanks @rarther

What facts are you missing? What I wrote is pretty much the only details that exist right now: a small team is putting together preparations for a U.S. launch, it will be a lite version, similar to pre-paid etc. etc.

3 Likes

Hi Steve,

I guess from the reader’s point of view it’s all hearsay (O’Hearsay?) as we don’t know who said what, who ‘who’ is or how reliable they are. But if your track record is anything to go by this is probably very reliable information.

5 Likes

I only write when I’m right.

Trust me on this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Any idea on likely time-frames?

It’s very early stages, so definitely won’t be this quarter. My guess is 2nd half of the year earliest, could take longer depending on banking partner etc. But work to get there has begun in earnest.

6 Likes

Nice article - I guessed earlier in the thread that they’d likely roll out similarly to how they did here! Exciting that it looks like some traction is happening.

Do you think they will do a US wide ‘lite’ rollout or maybe target specific states? I’m not too familiar with banking in the US so not sure If that would even be possible/ manageable.

If a US wide roll out is the only option I would have thought we will be waiting a while for anything - but not sure how long Monzo have been thinking about it and setting up logistically (although office is not in Vegas).

1 Like

Wonder if the US launch partner could be Stripe… their new Issuing product seems like a good match for a short term launch?

1 Like

Does Stripe have a nationwide “de novo” banking licence? If they do it’s a potentially a good fit given that Stripe founders have invested in Monzo.

On the de novo applications themselves, this sounds like cautiously optimistic news:

(My understanding is that the only way to obtain a banking licence for all the US us through the FDIC’S “de novo” route - the FDIC being the regulatory agency responsible. Traditionally, banks have been licensed in each State individually).

If this is the case, do you see Monzo going through the “de novo” route or say selecting states to “dip their toes” so to speak. Could see going state by state at least initially to test the product in the US Market as a more palatable option than full US exposure.

I’m no expert, but for logistical, administrative and capital reasons I’d say it’d be de novo as a strong preference, partnering with an existing bank until they get there.

This article gives a bit more detail about the de novo situation:

Interestingly, most new applications were backed by capital of $20 - $40m. I imagine going state by state would be much more capital intensive.

4 Likes

Correct :grin:

6 Likes