What's your network name?

What’s your network name?

I use legendary characters from my favourite opera: Main network is Isolde, guest is Brangane. Both strong women!

2 Likes

Now that should be a topic title.

Mine:

2 Likes

Ours is a portmanteau of mine and the Mrs’ name.

Our guest network (LaRoMa) is an amalgamation of our kiss’s James kids’ names!

3 Likes

Who kisses James? He must be one lucky person!

1 Like

Shame there’s no strike through formatting! :man_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

There is I believe , I know

Use < s > and < / s > (no spaces) to strikethrough :smile_cat:

2 Likes

My network is LV-426.

As for individual machines, small netbook is NEWT. Original (and since retired) media PC was RIPLEY. Newer media PC is HICKS. You can see where I’m going, right?

5 Likes

Mines just left as default :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I have a list of 13 available networks in my area, so I always pick something starting with A so it’s near the top.

2 Likes

How often do you find people suggest that you nuke your network?

3 Likes

R2-D2_optout_nomap

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s the only way to be sure.

2 Likes

Blüdhaven for my Wifi

Gotham for my server

Mine wifi name is the poo emoji :poop:

2 things it hasn’t worked on - one visitor’s old phone, and my friend’s PS4. :frowning_face: But yea, emojis as SSID ftw.

1 Like

Just a word of warning your ssid can be used to find your location , that’s why on Android apps needing access to WiFi or Bluetooth ask for location permissions.

That being said mine is the ISP default, nothing fancy :joy:

I have two!

My older 2.4ghz which runs a lot of my smart devices (& is a REALLY old AirPort Extreme) is called The Fellowship.

My 5ghz network is called Give A Cat A Home because we seem to regularly have random cats from the neighbourhood move in for a few days/weeks/months/years and this way they know they’re welcome :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Used to work for a place where we named all the Novell servers with female names and all the networks (small local wired ethernets) with male names. Then, whenever a server crashed…

“Anna’s gone down on Dave.”

What can I say? It was 1993, we were young, and #MeToo wasn’t even imagined.

3 Likes

Ooh love this thread. My Wifi is the Boring default name.

But the naming strategy I have for devices connected to my network is:

Herbs for any HDDs or other storage (currently have Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Basil and I think Garlic but that doesn’t fit the brief)

Spices for other networked things that I can give a name to (Mustard, Turmeric, Nutmeg…)

And my favourite part, my PC is called “PESTLE&MORTAR”

There’s a little bit of joy I get when I get to name a new thing.

3 Likes

My WiFi name is Sanctuary (from the awesome TV show) and all my devices are named after Star Trek Ships :slight_smile:

This is awesome, I didn’t know you could do this… thanks for the tip

1 Like

Reminds me of Joe Lycett giving all his smart devices female names, so he can say things like “Alexa, turn on Susan.” :see_no_evil:

4 Likes