What's the last bit of tech you bought?

One of these awesome PC towers…
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-meshify-c-tg-dark-tint-mid-tower-chassis-tempered-glass-window-atx-matx-2x120mm-quiet

First time building a PC from scratch and it was easy…

The box it came in had two big piercings in it, and I was worried it may have scratched the glass but luckily it’s intact.
This is the second time my parcel from Scan via DPD has had damage to the box.

1 Like

It’s good to see that in 2.5 years headphones have come on a long way! But hilarious the laptop usb c adapter/dock is still not only needed but hasn’t been improved …

1 Like

A set of 3 TP-Link Deco M4s

Absolutely amazing :raised_hands: I had some smart devices that were on the perimeter of my current Wi-Fi so were a bit temperamental. I now have permanent full Wi-Fi all around the house with the added advantage that I can plug some devices into these via ethernet now too.

It also opens up a whole host of monitoring and controls for the network and its traffic that my basic broadband router didn’t provide.

The only downside (and it’s a biggy) is that switching over your current smart devices to use a different Wi-Fi network is a real pain :no_entry_sign: I can’t believe it’s so difficult!

I have lots of Google homes, TP-Link smart plugs, light switches and all sorts. Only my Nest protect could easily be switched. The Nest thermostat required me using the silly wheel to enter the new complicated Wi-Fi password and the rest basically needed removing and setting up from scratch.

All done now though, so worth it in the end but they really need to improve this going forward :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Nice, I have just got Amazon Eeros, and that’s still my biggest issue currently in that the walls in my house are so thick (hence the reason for needing a mesh system in the first place!) that they will really still require Ethernet backhaul to get the most out of them. Will need to do this at some point, but the improvement between mesh and none mesh is still a big jump in itself

Might be too late now, but when I replaced my Wi-Fi access device, I changed the network name to the old network name, and changed the network name on the old device by appending ‘Old’ to it.

Majority of devices happily connected to the same network they always knew, which meant I only had to fiddle with one or two devices that didn’t keep working instead of all the devices.

3 Likes

Yeah did this myself and that did the trick for me, had no issues, but then again if your old network was called ‘sky’ or ‘talktalk’ or something I can understand you wanting to change it to something friendlier!

Yeah these have ethernet backhaul too so eventually I’ll run some cables and connect them all together like this to get better speeds. I live in a bungalow, so have a larger area to cover but the advantage is that I can just run everything through the loft above :smiley:

I’d always been a big fan of Eero, until Amazon bought them. They’re doing to interesting smart home companies what Facebook did to messengers and social networks. It’s annoying because the good affordable stuff now requires you to invest into Amazon’s big data fuelled ecosystem.

Do the new ones still support HomeKit?

Haha nice, yeah gonna have to be through the floorboards for me, hence why it’s down on my ‘long term’ list of things to do in my house!

Ohhh I could have tried that :see_no_evil: Oh well… I’m happy now because I have cool wifi name :smiley:

3 Likes

Would it not just make more sense to set the new network to use the same name and password as your previous network? Stuff should just auto connect to the new network then.

1 Like

Yes the ones I have do support HomeKit, is nice to be able to ‘sandbox’ them as such, the new ‘Eero 6’ (which I think is only available in the US currently) doesn’t support HomeKit yet but it is on their roadmap

There is very little in the way of Amazon integration currently, but that’s fine, it wasn’t my primary concern. It’s got a nice friendly interface, maybe a bit too simple in some respects, but it works well and I’m happy with it

1 Like

I tried that but it didn’t work for some devices although I didn’t try them all. I never changed the name of the old one either so perhaps that had an effect too.

The old network is still available, so I’m one of those people who would rather start over and make sure everything is spot on and connected to the correct network for added peace of mind. It’s all done now anyway - so no point beating myself up over it :smiley:

3 Likes

Aah that might be why, if two networks have the same name and password at the same time it can cause a conflict and devices will sit on one or the other (or jump between them)

As you say though, it’s done now, and you have a nice new network name, so the way you did it made sense. If you ever change to another router in the future it’s worth doing though (just make sure to change the old routers name first!)

3 Likes

I do this every time I move house! I’m never content for long. The only reason I don’t make big changes to my home network more frequently is having to deal with device migrations. Especially the TVs and cameras.

3 Likes

Yeah it makes sense when you think about it. I was just too giddy to set them all up so didn’t really stop to think about it all :laughing:

I still think it should be made easier. I can see what network each device is connected to, so my expectations were to simply be able to scan for and connect to a new one. So it’s not very user friendly as it stands.

1 Like

What’s the reason for wanting Alexa / HomeKit integration with a router?

What does it allow you to do?

So it allows you to restrict HomeKit hubs and devices so that they can not directly access any other devices on your network:

It means at the highest security level, the device can only talk to HomeKit and nothing else. So it blocks potential attackers from compromising your HomeKit device and your network. (Especially if the attacker is the manufacturer of the device! Which may sound unlikely, but smart home companies going out of business is quite common, and if access to the old devices fell into the wrong hands…)

2 Likes

What sort of speeds are you getting on devices connected to the new units?

I’m considering various mesh wifi type options for the new place, but I’m currently spoilt by the power of Ethernet Cable to my PC and I have a feeling routing cable through the flat isn’t going to be acceptable to Ms BL.

I’m a bad example case for this. I have to use 4G for my home broadband so I only get around 30mbps but I wanted to futureproof it for when 5G comes as well as resolve my current connectivity issues with range.

I originally saw this deal and all the glowing testimonials in the comments but it was the top comment that made me compare the other models in the range on their website and I found that the M4s were better suited. It was certainly a no brainer for £12.50 difference and free next day delivery. In the end I bought them from ebuyer.

1 Like