What's the last bit of tech you bought?

The awair looks flash, but what do you do when you find out the air quality is bad? By a Dyson Air Purifier?

Thanks all for your advice on the Macbook, currently trying to find out if any of my studenty friends can help me out with their Unidays accounts.

2 Likes

Or a friend who works at an Apple Store and can get that discount?? (don’t ask me, I did NOT do that… nope, nosireebob)

1 Like

Bought an honor 10 from amazon for £300 on prime which arrived something like a week late, put in a complaint (just to see if I could get a discount). A few emails later and I’d knocked £50 off it. £250 for 128GB storage, the same CPU as the mate 20 Pro and a 24MP camera. Can’t find anything to whinge about at all!

We have a Phillips air purifier which is excellent.

Took advantage of Curry’s offering £300 trade in for old Macbooks and walked out with a new MacBook Air. Just need to get a pile of dongles to replace all the ports that I’ve lost!

Nice one! Nothing like that was on when I was looking but sounds like you got a good deal!

I’d recommend getting something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ansbell-Hub-Adapter-Readers-thunderbolt/dp/B0748D6H9P/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1553335914&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+c+port

I’ve got something similar and its great!

Needing to buy a new camera after my Nikon D7000 died last week after 8 years of service.

Hired out a D500 through FatLlama (Highly recommend them by the way!) and was very impressed, the autofocus is some black magic as I only had a few out of focus photos from a whole football match worth of photos.

Main question though… Has anyone bought Grey Market cameras before? I can save £900 on a D500 and lens. Heard good reviews on a particular company (Cotswold Cameras) and the only disadvantage seems to be you don’t get a manufacturers warranty and have to make do with a warranty directly from the retailer.

Yeah. Exactly that. 99% of the time a warranty is useless, because nothing goes wrong. For the other 1%, make sure you’ve paid with a credit card (for Section 75 protection) and you’ll almost certainly be fine.

You see then’almost’ up there? It’s a very small risk for your £900. Some people will come a cropper, hopefully you won’t be one of them. Camera equipment from the major manufacturers is of remarkably high reliability, so I think I’d be happy to take the chance on a grey import.

Right, give me some advice then please Sir! I’m going to the States in a few weeks time and I’m going to buy an Apple watch 4 (because I want the fully functioning ECG app feature). Do I pay for it on my Starling card or on my Amex. Obviously buying the watch in the USA, I’m not sure the warranty has the same clout here in the UK, unless anyone can tell me anything different?..

That’s way outside my area of expertise, but I’d pay with a credit card, in the absence of any better knowledge of the pros and cons. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply anyway. Most of me says pay with Starling debit card, but some of me says pay with Amex and earn the Avios to boot. If I pay with Starling, I know I’ll get a really decent exchange rate. I’ve never used my Amex abroad, so I’m not sure how good the Amex rate is.

Have gone from a Mac mini to a £139 ASUS Chromebook; I didn’t think I’d use it that much… I absolutely love it; I find the battery lasts ages!

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-c202-11-6-intel-celeron-chromebook-16-gb-emmc-white-blue-10168528-pdt.html

2 Likes

I’ve just got myself a new phone contract and got myself an Honor 10 Lite phone. Deal is with 3 and is £19 a month so only £10 more than I am paying now.

Super excited as this will be my first brand new phone in about 3 years. I’ve been living off several second hand phones and I cannot wait to be back on Android!!

1 Like

The ECG feature is now tied down using a geofence from your iPhone, so geographically won’t work outside of the USA. Although, with that said, you might find this promising.

The Apple Limited Warranty is the same worldwide, but you’ll lose Consumer Law protections, so may be worth investing in AppleCare+, which can still be used in the UK for up to two years after the purchase date.

2 Likes

Obviously not on your list, but the correct answer is Halifax Clarity credit card. Perfect rate, no fees and still covered if things go wrong.

In terms of the warranty, I took my US bought iPad Pro into the Apple store last week as the mic doesn’t work. As long as it’s in warranty they’ll service it no issues.

1 Like

Have you tried the Meross switches? I’ve been impressed with them so far, great for the price.

Quite often you’ll find the Energy Monitoring ones even cheaper than the normal ones which are also great. I’ve got 3 of the strips with USB ports and the ambient light.

All controlled with IFTTT and hooked up to my Octopus Energy Agile tariff

1 Like

Hmm will check these out. I like that the ‘footprint’ is small. But can you get two side by side on a standard extension strip??

1 Like

I’ve only got one of the single devices at the moment having replaced most of my extension strips with these but I’ll stick it in one and see if I think it will.

The footprint is definitely smaller than the Wemo I have! The Wi-Fi range is also much better. My Wemo won’t work upstairs and these do and I only have a small house with wafer thin internal ‘walls’.

1 Like

An Apple watch 4 bought in the US, the ECG feature will work anywhere in the world the wearer might be, because the watch was bought in the USA and the Apple system recognises the serial number of the watch as originating from the US or from one of its territories. I have a friend who bought an Apple Watch 4 in the USA a couple of months ago and he has full functionality of the ECG feature.

From what I gather, when he bought the watch in the USA, he set it up there and updated it to the latest ios before he returned to the UK, so maybe that is why it’s ok?..

About 10 years ago I sent an email to Quorn to tell them they should call their Cornish Pasty a Quornish Pasty.

They wrote me a snotty reply saying I wasn’t the first to suggest it and that to protect their brand name they wouldn’t do it and gave Hoover as the example.

1 Like