What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Apple refurb store is what you need… Refurbished Laptops - MacBook Pro - Apple (UK)

Full 1 year warranty… stuff checked over and all at slightly discounted prices :smiley:

My 2009 refurb iMac is still going strong!

1 Like

They cover four years after first sale for eligible models and they do not replace the keyboard with the newest version.

I get that many people will have no issues at all but I personally can’t spend that much money knowing that it could be an issue and at some point I could just be left up shit creek.

My current a Mac Mini is going strong after seven years and I’d want a laptop to last me at least five at a minimum.

I see what you’re saying but really any laptop could have something happen to it which leaves you out of pocket - granted this is a known issue - although all new 2018 MacBooks aren’t on the service as they have v3 which doesn’t have the inherent problems.

I had my previous 2012 MacBook pro until late 2018 when it was really time for an upgrade which equated a cost of about £180 a year over its lifetime. I expect my new 2018 to do the same.

1 Like

Of course it could. But when spending £1000+ I’d prefer to not have any worries going in that there’s a decent chance of it failing at some point (and don’t forget the extended warranty doesn’t actually cover the new laptops).

There’s just too many reports of issues for me. But as I said, YMMV.

1 Like

I have the 2018 MacBook Pro 15 and it’s an absolute dream machine. They made it easier to replace the keycaps on the newer models too so if it ever did get stuck use a guitar pick to remove the key, clean underneath and replace. It really isn’t a big deal :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I totally get your point, I’m just providing my account of the machine that I’ve had for a little over 6 months or so now, I use it everyday for essays/ work etc and haven’t had a problem.

If we always went by the bad reviews we’d probably never buy anything!

What are you looking at instead of a MBP?

1 Like

not sure if you’re on the 13" or the 15".
But I was umming and ahing about replacing my 15" 2012 retina for a year or so.
Eventually, I bought a Lenovo X1 Extreme on black friday, and I’m very happy with it.
What with no-longer being a student, I saved about £800 on a macbook of similar spec, including a 4 year warranty.

YMMV, but in the last 6 or 7 years, windows laptops have been improving at a much better rate than apple laptops, and for me, the Lenovo does everything I need

I went from a £1000+ Macbook to a £250 Chromebook and have never looked back! Its loads quicker and is so much smoother!

I might just be a Mac fanboy buy I love my MacBook Pro, I’m confident it’ll last me the length of time I need it, I can’t see a device out there that has as good build quality, and I can’t stand Windows OS.

To each their own I guess - if the Chromebook works for you that’s great.

I did have my MBP for around 6 years before it started to slow down and die. Until I tried the Chromebook I had no idea the potential of other laptops.

If I was staying with Apple I would likely have bought another MBP, but I have Google Home now and I’m looking to sell my AW3 and iPhone in a few months purely for the amount of money I will save.

I do sometimes miss my MBP though and I’m sure I will miss aspects of my iPhone once I get rid of that…

Just ordered these :partying_face:

6 Likes

You’ve hit the nail on the head here. The reality is, back in the day (pre-2010) people bought a Mac because they wanted the absolute best, and were willing to pay for it.

Fast forward to today, and the reality of the situation is, most people buy a Mac because they need MacOS - not because they need the best machine for the money.

That just shows how the landscape has changed, and it’s only going one way these days.

3 Likes

Not sure what Apple are doing at the moment. These were released very quietly, and a week before their main event? Also no AirPower, but a wireless charging case? Why not release it all at the same time?!

It’s a shame, but it feels like there’s been a decline in attention to detail and planning from Apple since Steve Jobs passed. Other companies are now noticeably ahead of the curve IMO.

2 Likes

If you’ve read Steve Jobs’ biography there’s a part in the book where he talks about Tim Cook and says “Tim is great with numbers and supply chain, but he’s not a “product” guy, per se”

And it really shows.

4 Likes

Tbh I totally agree here, like with the Coffee Lake updates to the MBPs - this is arguably something that should have a few minutes in a key note and not just updated “under the hood”.

You won’t receive them until the day after the keynote so maybe they’ll speak about it then and then mention the AirPower? Maybe they are only saving “new products” for keynotes.

Either way it is all a bit of a mess

1 Like

Recent purchases…

Awair - literally just arrived and I’m impressed. An excellent setup procedure via their app and intuitive to use.

awair-2nd-edition

Also, the new Casper Glow lights. Again, love these and only had them for a few days.

Glow-Gallery-1-double

4 Likes

100%. He’s doing a good job of ‘running’ Apple on the business side, but the product lineup and general organisation is all over the place.

Awair - is your air in your home that bad?

Saw the Casper Glow Light too… I have a Philips Hue for ‘sunrise’ waking which is remarkable how much it helps.

No, it’s pretty good - showing a “96” in the office at the moment. I’m just interested in keeping an eye on the environment, hayfever triggers and sleep conditions.

Love the Hues - have them all over the house :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huawei Y7 - £130 Currys

The screen is huge !

1 Like