What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Santa got me a Wera one for Christmas and that is a firm favourite.

3 Likes

I know the next bit of tech I’m going to buy :eyes: the translucent ones look amazing https://www.macrumors.com/2023/04/25/beats-studio-buds-plus-amazon-listing/

5 Likes

Its giving early Xbox days when I used to have the translucent console

4 Likes

Reminds me of the good old Game Boy days.

3 Likes

Picked up my first ever Apple computer on Thursday! MacBook Pro 14” with M2 Pro 12/19 cores, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD.

Will be used primarily for Premiere Pro, InDesign and Lightroom. Even with basic tasks like loading Lightroom and flicking between presets, the MacBook is running circles around my gaming PC! (Ryzen 3900X, RTX 2060, 32GB DDR4 RAM and NVMEe SSD)

I’m not overly impressed with the window or file management on MacOS. The former will likely improve as I learn more shortcuts, but the file management just seems like a big step down compared to Windows right now.

Also it crashed/froze on the OS update it needed to do during setup fresh out of the box… so hopefully that’s just a fluke! :eyes:

Looking forward to testing it out properly on my next video project!

7 Likes

It’s just a case of getting used to it - I was the same when I switched to macOS. If you have any Linux (or Unix) experience then you can open a command prompt and do proper file management :wink:

2 Likes

If you miss Aero snap/window snapping there are quite a few apps to replace that. I use BetterSnapTool but I think Rectangle is the current one people rave about because it’s free: https://rectangleapp.com

2 Likes

I’ve been using magnet (£7.99) and think it’s great, but I’ve not compared it to anything else for quite a while - ‎Magnet on the Mac App Store

1 Like

I’m finding the window management is getting faster by the day. CMD+W to close a window, CMD+Q to quit programs etc.

My main gripe is that I’m finding iCloud Drive to be far less integrated with MacOS, than OneDrive was with Windows. I can’t just tick ‘sync pictures folder’ in iCloud Drive, but I’m getting round this by putting everything in my own folder structure within ‘Documents’ which I can sync automatically. This gives me an opportunity to just start fresh and cull any old/unused files before I bring them across.

I had actually found and bookmarked the Magnet app long before I got a Mac, as I’d seen it and thought “Yeah, I’m going to want that” :rofl: I may also be struggling with window management because I’m solely using the built-in 14" screen at the moment. I tried plugging in my 2560x1080 ultrawide at home but it looks AWFUL… text is fuzzy, everything has a weird pink tint etc.

I have a much nicer 3840x1600 with 100% sRGB at work. Although I really hope the whole ‘MacOS UI scaling issues’ thing isn’t such a big deal, because I had not budgeted for a new screen to go with this thing… :see_no_evil:

Apple uses the Photos app for syncing photos with iCloud which is a bit annoying if you want the photos to be accessible in Finder

My Keychron has finally arrived after a whole 12 days!!! :partying_face:

First impressions are that it’s absolutely beautiful :heart_eyes:.

Will need to give it a good few days to see how I get along with it. I almost wish there were more working days left this week! :joy:

5 Likes

Beats Studio Buds + True Wireless Noise Cancelling Earbuds — Transparent - Apple (UK) they’re real :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

4 Likes

New iPad Pro (11", M2 processor). I thought my 5-year-old iPad Pro was fine until I had a play with a new one and realised how slow my current one is!

4 Likes

Just trying to set up my new iPad and it’s not quite as straightforward as I thought it would be. It came with iOS 16.1.1 installed so can’t login with my Apple ID because that is now all end-to-end encrypted and secured with Yubico keys. I’ve had to skip the setup and upgrade to iOS 16.5 (which is taking ages).

1 Like

Managed to spill a cup of tea all over my MX Keys Mini :sob: Didn’t fancy spending £70 on a new MX Keys and CeX had a Magic Keyboard for £40, but ended up coming home with that and a Magic Trackpad 2 too whoops (pricing was good though at least, they both look unused and the total cost was £20 less than the RRP of the trackpad alone).

5 Likes

an apple watch series 6. Renewed by amazon. Cas i’m too cheap to buy a brand new one lol

2 Likes

There’s so little difference between the 6 and 8 I’d say it’s hard to justify paying full price for a new one.

Though after reading the horror stories and reviews about Renewed by Amazon tech, I also wouldn’t spend on that! But agree, I’m very happy with my S6 watch still

2 Likes

I have a series 6 at the moment and when I bought it I thought I’d change it this year, but unless there’s any significant changes lined up (I don’t think there are?) then I’ll be sticking with it for at least another year.

Yeah it’s definitely a good idea to do a bit of research into the seller before buying Amazon Renewed.

I bought my MacBook as renewed and it was perfect, but I spent about 10/15 mins googling the seller first (turns out they were a huge recycling company with really good reviews on Amazon and TrustPilot).