What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Does it have the same colour range as the bloom or the bulb?

I have the Vivoactive HR, is the vivoactive3 worth the upgrade?Never heard of Garmin pay until you mention this on here, hoping monzo will support that.

I treated myself to an Orbi for the home wifi. Now getting my fully 350mb speeds (virgin media) on all the 5ghz device in the house!

And as a birthday present to me I got an NVida sheild for casting games to the pc, and getting full 4k hdr content on the tv!

4 Likes

I’ve got a NVidia shield too, great wee AndroidTV device, with built in assistant. Can also stream games from my PC too, which is nice.

2 Likes

I bought a Garmin vivosmart HR+ to get all those sweet Vitality points. This was at the start of the year and Vitality gave me a big discount.

I think my next tech gadget/investment will be smart bulbs/hub, probably from IKEA :see_no_evil:

1 Like

The money you all spend :scream_cat:

I’ve just spent £18.99 on a portable iPhone charger from Amazon - that’s as flash as it gets on tech for me…

4 Likes

How do you find the orbi?

WiFi in my flat sucks and I’ve been looking at 3rd party routers.

1 Like

Honestly I would stay away from consumer-grade stuff like Orbi or similar.

Get yourself some Ubiquiti gear, it’s enterprise-grade stuff but affordable and the UI is not too complex (no command line required, as opposed to a lot of other “enterprise” stuff).

3 Likes

I’ve found Orbi really good personally. Defo wouldn’t call it consumer grade by the price tag or when you compare the features compared to Ubiquiti they are very similar.

Some good features, each satalite has a usb port which can be used to add device to the network which are not traditionally network supported. It can host it’s own VPN Server to be able to log onto the network remotely. The mobile app with it is great, I can now even access the config remotely when needed (great when you are at work, and you get the dreaded ‘internet off’ call from people in the house, when often its just there device being shakey!).

I have been able to keep up exactly the same speeds that I would expected from network cables, but over wifi.
Screenshot_20180614-091850_Speedtest

It has the directional wifi boost tech in it, forgot the name of it! for the older 2.4ghz devices, so it can fire a stronger signal towards weaker device to keep the signal boosted.

Ive loved it so far

@JohnE its been great, but defo read around with the wifi mesh system reviews for other product if your making the investment, lots of different quirks with each!

1 Like

I’ve been looking at Ubiquiti for a while now but I like my Meraki too much

wouldn’t call it consumer grade by the price tag

That is the thing, you’re paying enterprise-grade prices for consumer-grade software that is probably full of vulnerabilities, especially the part about “add device to the network which are not traditionally network supported” where it’s running some most likely outdated server software (probably Samba).

It can host it’s own VPN Server

Would you actually trust opening that up to the public internet? At least the Samba server above is limited to your LAN so it kinda mitigates the issue, but this is just asking for trouble. :joy:

1 Like

Both are fine. Just stay away from the consumer-grade stuff. You’ll thank me later.

You’re all making me want to replace my trust Asus RT-N66U. It’s been playing up of late with the latest Merlin firmware and these new devices look nice! :sunglasses: I looked at the Ubiquiti gear last year and was very tempted by it. :dollar:

1 Like

wathces the Consumer vs Enterprise network gear argument unfold
giphy

9 Likes

Am I the only one who hasn’t got a clue what anyone is talking about? :disappointed_relieved:

15 Likes

It’s perfectly fine for me, and I aint just a novice so I did my research. Yep its Samba, yep I can reconfigure it over telnet and even open my network more if I wish .

At the end of the day, I have more concern for all the other smart devices in peoples house, streaming my habbits to servers dotted all over the world, and seeing people using wifi washers, tvs, kettles than I do for a brand like netgear.

Watch the traffic from the washers and cameras, and the route they often take out of your network with lots of data then back in, just to let you put it on a new spin cycle.

I found my experiences with the orbi to be way out performance compared to what most see as consumer grade.

1 Like

(p.s. I will get stick up for orbi forever, especially after the price tag paid haha !)

2 Likes

Oh heck, I’ve been on a spree recently. Perks of being a freelancer and being able to expense a bunch of work required purchases, and getting some big invoices finally paid after a couple of very lean months.

I bought a MacBook Pro this week, waiting for it to be delivered, annoyingly with Apple if you upgrade the drive and processor (I went full max) they get sent from China so takes about two weeks. I waited until after WWDC to see if there would be updates, but I know I’ll b happy. I also picked up the black version of the Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad. I had the old versions of both, but they were quite a few years old, and went through batteries like there was no tomorrow. Charing up with Lightning is going to be awesome.

I also just bought a TV. I didn’t used to believe in TVs in the bedroom, then started watching stuff on my iPad, then a friends 32" TV I was looking after while he moved house, and now I’ve got 49" 4K. My old ‘big’ tv when I lived on my own was 42 so I’m worried 49 is going to feel like I’m in a cinema, but the price was way lower than I’d expected.

I’ve also bought a Canon EOS 800D for filming for work. I don’t do a lot of photography or videography as I’ve not been able to learn as much as I’d like but I expect that to change now.

4 Likes

Yeah not saying you should bin it if it works for you, just wanted to talk about the alternatives. :+1:

1 Like

Perks of being a freelancer and being able to expense a bunch of work required purchases

This is the excuse I use to make myself feel better when I exit the Apple Store. :joy:

1 Like