What's the last bit of tech you bought?

That sounds like quite an impressive upgrade!

I forget how good the original pros are, I was wearing them in a crowded McDonalds the other day and it was only when I took them out to make sure I heard my number called out that I realised how much of the ambient noise it was taking away.

1 Like

Careful you don’t get flattened by one of those small fans :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah absolutely, I think I’m likely going to miss some chat directed at me or a tube stop with these in. I’m hoping they’ll be even better for office concentration.

In fact someone asked me for directions earlier, about 6ft away from me, and I didn’t even realise he said anything until I noticed him looking at me like he was waiting for a response.

My one and only complaint about the Pros. I got an engraving so I could spot the difference vs Ms Library’s (though hers are Gen 1’s so I probably didn’t need to do that) - and it’s ever so slightly off centre under the status light .

I have this image of a man on a deserted tube platform, forlornly looking at his watch, having missed the announcement that the station had been closed due to a security scare.

5 Likes

How exciting!

10 Likes

My husbands Pro 2’s have arrived and we already have a small snag. We can’t get the medium tips to come off to swap them. No amount of squeezing or pulling seems to help!

The old pro ear tips would come off with a gentle pull/click.

Let me know how it goes! If I can get myself back to Android I’d definitely give a Flip a go, I’ve been eyeing them ever since they first appeared

3 Likes

Bought some from Amazon on a whim today. They arrive tomorrow.

1 Like

Let us know how you find it! What phone did you have before? I was considering a move from and iPhone to a zflip4 so interested in how you find it!

2 Likes

Yep will do! Will give it a few days and then let you know. I hate the new phone move-in process but it’s pretty fun so far.

I got a Z Flip 3 a year ago but sent it back after a day because I was worried about the screen breaking, but with the supposed durability improvements, 3 year warranty, free year of Samsung Care+ and then Monzo Premium too I’m less worried.

2 Likes

Will do! Coming from an iPhone 12 (which I like, except for the dire battery that I have to charge multiple times a day. I’ll just keep it as a spare in case this breaks I think).

I think I’m going to miss some of the iOS/iPadOS/HomePod/macOS integrations but this folds so :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

this is my issue I am a little bogged down in the ecosystem… AppleTV, homekit devices and so on.

and most importantly an apple watch.

If I did get a flip I would have to do the watch switch too.

Was worried about flips battery life too so let me know how you get on with it all after some time.

I found that they did require a fair bit of a tug to come off - and I also had a bit of trouble putting the larger tips on. I also struggled to get the AirPods out of the case initially, but everything seems to have settle in.

1 Like

This has been my problem. I’m too tied into the Apple ecosystem now to switch. Every time I’ve attempted to go Android, I just end back on an iPhone.

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

4 Likes

Apple TV doesn’t really lock you into the ecosystem. I have hundreds of iTunes movies that I stream on Fire Stick and Google TV.

HomeKit should hopefully open up nicely once Matter hits.

Apple Watch on the other hand really does tie you in.

1 Like

As I understand it, the problem with iTunes movies on platforms outside of Apple hardware is that you don’t get any of the iTunes extras. Just the movie. For those that don’t want or watch the extras (audio commentaries, featurettes, etc.) then I guess that’s fine, but for me, it’s a massive dealbreaker.

1 Like

The only iTunes Extra I’ve ever watched was the Black and Chrome Fury Road (amazing!) so I’m not that bothered.

My point was more that if you have an Apple TV you can still switch to Android and not lose out on anything material.

3 Likes

I was actually watching that at the time you wrote this!

1 Like

You know, I thought the same about going in the other direction. Until a few months ago I was Note 20 Ultra 5G + Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. I’d had the odd iPhone through work and was a big fan of the iPod Touch in the early days, but I always preferred Android.

Then I decided to just go all in and make the switch (there were a few other influences that made the switch a no-brainier). It really wasn’t that difficult to go over to iPhone in the end, and I managed to sell all my old tech on eBay for a really good price.

I’ve been eyeing up a watch and the AirPod Pros. I think I may just go for the SE for the watch - it seems to do everything I need at a really good price, then I want to replace the Galaxy Buds Lives I’ve got (which by the way are a nightmare to keep in your ears).

Onto the topic of the last bit of tech I bought - I’ve just bought a pair of Tado wired smart thermostats to swap out my not so smart thermostats. I’ve been looking at a few different options, but the Tado seemed to be the easiest straight replacement at the best price with a good feature set too.

I may branch out and swap my TRVs for smart ones, but I do already have a good amount of control over the system with two separate plumbed zones already in a relatively small flat, so the TRVs can wait for now.

2 Likes

AirPods delivered. Maybe I should be buying all my launch day Apple products from Amazon. If I’d got in early with Apple as part of the launch day crowd, id be waiting til next week!

I really like Royal Mail these days with their planes and drones. Makes the next day delivery service possible between the highlands and the rest of the U.K.