What's the last bit of tech you bought?

True story - My boss had an expensive self-robo-mower. They’re great, they charge, then go off and cut. This model had SatNav and so cut in calculated routes. When full, or getting low on charge, it went back to the charging station and (this model) dumped the grass near the charging station in mounds.

One day, it was missing. Someone had pinched it. The Police knocked on the door of a guy in a nearby town and found the mower in his shed. “How did you know where it was?” - ‘because it shows you in the app exactly where it is’. Fool. ‘Charges’ were dropped.

5 Likes

One of my neighbours has one

I very much covet my neighbours robomower

1 Like

I really want a robo mower but I don’t think my garden set up would allow it. We’d have to run power over/under the patio to put a charge station by the lawn.

1 Like

Or a very large garden.

Just don’t get the two mixed up!

1 Like

I have quite a large garden plus I’m also lazy :rofl:

It’s just one of those jobs that nobody really likes doing and I can think of a million better things to do with my time. I put it off when it’s raining (which is all the time) so the grass gets really long and it then becomes a 2-3 hour job.

3 Likes

If it’s a large garden would it not run out of battery half way throughout the job?

I think they do it incrementally if need. Mow section A, go for a power nap, mow section B, nap, etc :blush:

3 Likes

Yup as @Stompy said. Once the garden is all mapped out, edges, trees etc it works out the most efficient way of doing it.

Usually this involves doing the garden in phases and because it knows where the docking station is, it can go charge whenever it needs to.

Heres a (all be it old) video of one…

3 Likes

Save money, go for the no-mow approach. Better for the environment, and, imo, looks nicer. Scatter some bee and butterfly friendly seeds and make it a wildflower meadow.

2 Likes

I can’t think of anything worse than the rewilding approach for the aesthetic.

I haven’t cut mine in two weeks and it’ll look so tidy and fresh when I do it this week.

3 Likes

Ours looks terrible but I’ve loved watching the bees and butterflies dot about, even with the cat being predator (he’s pretty good at leaving them alone).

1 Like

That would never work for us. It would turn into weeds and moss galore, plus the kids and dog would stop any nice plants from flourishing.

Ours just demolishes plants. She charges at them and rips them up and looks at you knowing she isn’t supposed to do it, so can’t really have any in the back. Although our garden at front is coated in plants as she only goes in front when she’s going for her daily walk so usually on the lead and can’t get to the plants.

2 Likes

Ours isnt too bad, he likes pulling branches off trees though :sweat_smile:

Its when he goes for a wee that he kills the grass and just from playing with him and the kids its very hard wearing on the grass. It’ll be many years before i have a lush green lawn or a fancy meadow

I feel you! The patches are get on my nerves.
You can get special grass seed that apparently doesn’t get harmed by animal urine. We’ve tested it and it didn’t work for us luckily managed to get it refunded by Amazon support as it wasn’t as advertised and wasn’t cheap, but might work for others!

Ooo that sounded interesting until you said it didn’t work :sweat_smile: I dont fancy risking it now

1 Like

I understand what can work is watering the grass after he wees. It dilutes the stuff that kills the grass.

1 Like

Ive tried that and it does kind of work. The grass just goes more yellow rather than dying.

It’s a pain to have a full watering can to hand and be eagle eyed to see when he has had a wee though. Especially at night when its raining and dark - he is black so you can see him at all :ninja:

The best method, (which i might try now we have a bit nicer weather) is to train the dog to go in the same area each time.

2 Likes

Stick your Monzo card to him :eyes:

3 Likes