What's the last bit of tech you bought?

I’m going to assume it does have CEC.

So I can expect to get consistent 60fps, cool :sunglasses:

Thanks for the explanation

1 Like

There’s very few 120hz games available and can’t imagine they will be coming through quick as the tech is expensive and people aren’t quite ready - I’m definitely not and I’ve a ps5 which games look great on my £400 Samsung I got 2 years ago :joy:

The other big benefit of 120hz TVs (besides gaming) is that 120 divides neatly into all the common framerates you’ll be watching video content in.

24fps (movies)
30fps (most TV)
60fps (some sports, YouTube videos etc)

Means you get completely consistent frame timings, with no drops and skips, so it can make movie watching much better if you’re sensitive to that sort of thing.

1 Like

120FPS is available in quite a few games but it’s usually a trade off with resolution.

As @N26throwaway said, yes you can. But generally the highest performance modes on console for the latest AAA games very often run at 30FPS.

2 Likes

Exactly, generally I’d say it’s good to try and max the FPS for shooters and anything very twitchy, but the jump from 60 to 120hz (&fps) isn’t that huge, 60 is fine I think for casual gamers and allows you to push the resolution (even my gaming PC can’t handle 120fps at max resolution, max graphics on a triple A, I’m guessing a PlayStation can’t usually get near that either so a sacrifice will need to be made somewhere to run at 120fps).

I’m not really a fan of 30fps, just for me that feels too slow for almost everything. 60 is a sweet spot I reckon.

This is all average anyway. You are still likely to get times it’s running lower than whatever it’s set at. Theres also the ‘5% low figure’, which I also think is more important in a way than the ‘average’ figure, because frame rates always go up and down, and they are going to drop when you are in the middle of the action which can feel a bit jarring.

So just from my experience, a steady 60fps, if that’s a bit under what your machine can achieve, is actually a really good thing giving you clean and stable game play.

And it terms of best settings, I’d normally go with 60fps, max graphics, and whatever resolution makes that work even if it’s 1080p. I think that’s going to look best to most people’s eyes.

2 Likes

Anyone got the oculus quest 2?
Was debating nipping after work at getting one but not 100% sure yet…

I had one, but returned it as I was having trouble with getting it working on Wi-Fi - it worked via mobile hotspot until that even stopped working. Besides that, I’m not really a fan of Facebook/Meta.

24fps (movies)
30fps (most TV)
60fps (some sports, YouTube videos etc)

TV is 50fps. Streaming varies between 24/30**/50/60 depending on the source.

With 60fps stuff from the US is it frequently gets resampled at 3:2 frames to reduce it which introduces a slight judder on movement - which TBF most people don’t notice but some people hate.

Nowadays a decent panel can take almost anything that is thrown at it… however not every source can generate that… for example a chromecast is locked to either 50 or 60hz depending on its settings. Even the nvidia shield, which should be able to do it depends on individual app support for framerate switching - not supported by youtube or netflix, but kodi and plex support it.

TLDR; It’s a mess…

** Or even 29.97 if you want to get pedantic…

(Late footnote: Personally I don’t use AFR because my TV blanks for a couple of seconds on every change, which is annoying).

1 Like

I’m toying between this in the article or the next version up the Beam, need to make my mind up

2 Likes

From the article, I don’t understand the following:

Using the optical cable means your television cannot control the soundbar through HDMI-CEC, a connection that allows most TVs to control soundbars and other devices via one remote. TVs with motion or voice-control remotes, such as many in the LG range, may not be able to adjust the Ray’s volume – so you will need to use the phone app or press the buttons on the soundbar. However, a standard infrared TV remote or those of set-top boxes such as Sky Q or an Apple TV will be able to increase and decrease sound no problem

Aren’t the two sentences I’ve highlighted contradictory?

No, because HDMI CEC would pass the signal from the TV to the sound bar, but the standard IR remotes would signal the sound bar directly

3 Likes

Refurb makes the Beam the same price as the Ray

1 Like

Smart grinder pro to go along with sage bambino. Any tips on dialling in grind settings etc, totally new to this apart from few YouTube videos

3 Likes

The grind will differ dependant on the weather, temperature, bean etc. Keep going with trial and error until you get a coffee that you like from whatever grind setting you stick to.

As an example a Starbucks coffee, the amount of time it should take for the water to drip through the grinds is 15 to 19 seconds. This is timed / tested 3 times a day to ensure consistency. Granted home useable is a bit different to this at least, but generally the same principles.

1 Like

That 15-19 secs total time?

You’d be looking for 25-30 seconds realistically with the pre infusion on your bambino too, I think. You should also be looking for a 2:1 ratio in terms of weight before vs after, ie. 18g of ground coffee = 36g out.

Try to keep as much consistent as you can, eg, bean, tamp pressure, brew time etc. Then adjust the grind as you can.

Chances are, you’re 100% not grinding fine enough! :stuck_out_tongue: But, I suggest grinding coarse, and super fine, and understand the difference in taste (it’s bad!), and then understand how to refine that down to a perfect grind while you dial in.

I think James Hoffman has a good video or two on YouTube around dialling in. There are a lot of variables! :stuck_out_tongue: But have fun, and work out what you like! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah for a Starbucks brew and there equipment that’s the total time, obviously there stuff is more powerful. So for a household machine it’s going to be longer, I’ve no experience of smaller machines. But as I say trial and error is the best bet, to find the strength, taste you like.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice, one last question got bag of rave fudge from Amazon. Roasted date is about 3 months ago, is that ok? Direct from rave it’s usually within the last week.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you’re fine for up to 12 months before taste could be affected. The main bit, is when you grind, just grind what you need. Although looking at your grinder it looks like it’s an on demand one at least and not one with a hopper of grindings.

1 Like

I believe the rave site says their stuff through Amazon is nitrogen sealed or filled and so it’s fine to use.

Just consume & store like you would normal beans

Edit, see here: How long should I rest my coffee for before using? - RAVE COFFEE

2 Likes